Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Old 19-03-2012, 18:07   #256
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16191487

surprise ,surprise didn't see that one comming did we
Money grabbing sons of BLEEPs

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2012, 20:01   #257
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Go, Boris!
Given Ken seems hell bent on sabotaging his own campaign he doesn't have to try that hard.

Anyway surely this is the final straw. They have shown any form of national pride or decency is gone, they are total money grabbers quite happy to hold the country to ransom and I won't shed any tears if the tube gets automated and the unemployment figures take a small hit.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 20:12   #258
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Given Ken seems hell bent on sabotaging his own campaign he doesn't have to try that hard.

Anyway surely this is the final straw. They have shown any form of national pride or decency is gone, they are total money grabbers quite happy to hold the country to ransom and I won't shed any tears if the tube gets automated and the unemployment figures take a small hit.
I am a public sector worker and along with many others will not get a penny from the olympics but i do not begrude others if they are getting what they can,after all is that not others do that are in a position of power.

It is ill concieved that one set of public sector workers rails against another.

I bet the Police fedaration wish they had a spokesperson like the rail workers do.
Old 19-03-2012, 20:25   #259
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
I am a public sector worker and along with many others will not get a penny from the olympics but i do not begrude others if they are getting what they can,after all is that not others do that are in a position of power.

It is ill concieved that one set of public sector workers rails against another.

I bet the Police fedaration wish they had a spokesperson like the rail workers do.
With respect Richard but an agreement was already in place re pay and they should stick to that .Threatening industrial action when such an agreement is in place is bad enough but threatening it during the Olympics is unjustifiable .The drivers are probably some of the best paid manual workers in the country ,they are already paid well over the odds comparatively speaking for the job they do but to seek a bonus just for working during the Olympics when they will normally be working anyway is just plain wrong and will gain no support from the public in general
Old 19-03-2012, 20:27   #260
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If a Fed rep threatened to hold the country to ransom he'd be jailed...
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 20:39   #261
richard1960

Quote:
With respect Richard but an agreement was already in place re pay and they should stick to that .Threatening industrial action when such an agreement is in place is bad enough but threatening it during the Olympics is unjustifiable .The drivers are probably some of the best paid manual workers in the country ,they are already paid well over the odds comparatively speaking for the job they do but to seek a bonus just for working during the Olympics when they will normally be working anyway is just plain wrong and will gain no support from the public in general
To some extent i agree martyh but Boris in London did promise to negotiate a no stirke agreement but has not done so with the tube drivers,are they paid over the odds its hard to know that unless a comparison is made with similar workers with respect.

Are there any private sector companies offering staff incentives i wonder its hard to konw as if there are its not been well publicised.

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
If a Fed rep threatened to hold the country to ransom he'd be jailed...
With respect Derek in the past the police have done rather well and deservedly so no argument there,but the time is coming that the police will need a robust defender maybe not to threaten industrial action but to defend terms and conditons.

All public sector workers make no mistake will be under the cosh.
Old 19-03-2012, 20:41   #262
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
To some extent i agree martyh but Boris in London did promise to negotiate a no stirke agreement but has not done so with the tube drivers,are they paid over the odds its hard to know that unless a comparison is made with similar workers with respect.

Are there any private sector companies offering staff incentives i wonder its hard to konw as if there are its not been well publicised.

Boris should not have had to negotiate a new agreement as one was already in place ,it is the Unions and their members that have thrown the existing agreement in the bin
Old 19-03-2012, 20:50   #263
richard1960

Quote:
Boris should not have had to negotiate a new agreement as one was already in place ,it is the Unions and their members that have thrown the existing agreement in the bin
Well lBoris should have known this before promising to negotiate one in the 2008 mayoral election.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...london08.boris

But hey you know me i am very sympathetic with working people but i am not always right mate.
Old 19-03-2012, 21:02   #264
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16191487

surprise ,surprise didn't see that one comming did we
these train drivers of underground should tread carefully they soon will get automated driverless if they not careful. The technology there to do it too.

Surely 55,000 way over the top wage and to turn down 850 compo for working during olympics is madness what planet theyre on. They trying to outdo MP's bleeding the country dry.

35k max should be more enough wage. I might upset people but for us northern folk the impression you get. It to me shows everything whats wrong about the country as whole. South east and the atitudes to expect criminal high wages ahead the rest country. Greed pure greed take this problem about standard living in south east. If wages was not stupid the houses would not sell would have to come down to sensible level. force the market down sensible wages to parity to rest country would stop the need for crazy wages.

Therefore upping wages so high just shoves prices into orbit. So while the rest country suffer the austerity south east bleeds the nation dry for its drive to crazy wages to support catch 22.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 21:11   #265
martyh

Quote:
Well lBoris should have known this before promising to negotiate one in the 2008 mayoral election.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...london08.boris

But hey you know me i am very sympathetic with working people but i am not always right mate.
If i thought for one moment they had a justyfiable claim i would be fairly and squarely behind them but this just smacks of greed and blackmail
Old 19-03-2012, 21:13   #266
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

Never mind the police..Us teachers wish we had as good representatives..If I wasn't the wrong side of 30 I think I'd apply to be a tube driver..
Old 19-03-2012, 21:41   #267
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I think if they tried to automate the tube, they are looking at grave dangers, what about public safety, what if a train derails in the tunnels.

Some people don't have common sense, you might have driverless trains on the Docklands railway, but they don't cover the entire tube network do they.

I would never drive a tube train, they do deserve there pay, and do deserve extra money for working longer hours during the games.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:41   #268
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I think if they tried to automate the tube, they are looking at grave dangers, what about public safety, what if a train derails in the tunnels.

Some people don't have common sense, you might have driverless trains on the Docklands railway, but they don't cover the entire tube network do they.
I would never drive a tube train, they do deserve there pay, and do deserve extra money for working longer hours during the games.
Not at the moment, but they could, and probably will over the next few years.

Why should a tube driver get paid more than 50% more than someone who risks their life to save others, and have to deal with the carnage if there is a derailment?

There are many people who work in the public sector will have to do far more work during the olympics, but will get no more money, have had a pay freeze for three years, and are due a pay cut due to extra pensions contributions.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:51   #269
richard1960

Quote:
If i thought for one moment they had a justyfiable claim i would be fairly and squarely behind them but this just smacks of greed and blackmail
Well it certainly can be viewed as a little greedy but sadly greed and sefishness abound in todays society not defending it you only have to loook around to see it.

If those at the top showed a tad more restraint then those lower down the pecking order might start to listen.

You only have to look at local councils where many cheif executives are enjoying inflation busting rises whilst the workers below them enjoy a pay freeze.

I hope in the end the Tube Drivers settle for the offer they have got now and stop demanding more as the offer recieved is more then fair.
Old 20-03-2012, 16:03   #270
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Well it certainly can be viewed as a little greedy but sadly greed and sefishness abound in todays society not defending it you only have to loook around to see it.

If those at the top showed a tad more restraint then those lower down the pecking order might start to listen.

You only have to look at local councils where many cheif executives are enjoying inflation busting rises whilst the workers below them enjoy a pay freeze.

I hope in the end the Tube Drivers settle for the offer they have got now and stop demanding more as the offer recieved is more then fair.
Agreed
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote