Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 11-12-2011, 10:48   #136
SimonB79
Inactive

SimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enough
Re: Speed doubling?

Doubling our speed … no offence guys but i'll believe it when I see it! /rollseyes
SimonB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2011, 11:05   #137
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
modems are backwards compatible, it would work, its just VM choose to not operate that way.
Is that not just posting for the sake of posting ?

So, it wont work.. as he said.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:23   #138
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
modems are backwards compatible, it would work, its just VM choose to not operate that way.
It is a Docsis 3 modem so it will not retune and work on a Docsis 1/2 CMTS as that is the way it is designed, it is backwards compatible with regards the speed tiers but nothing else.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:59   #139
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
It is a Docsis 3 modem so it will not retune and work on a Docsis 1/2 CMTS as that is the way it is designed, it is backwards compatible with regards the speed tiers but nothing else.
Although strictly speaking is that not just a VM imposed restriction in both the configuraton file (viz VM choose not to release a DOCSIS1/2 file for a D3 compliant CM,which is capable of backwards compatability and operating in D1/2 mode) but more importantly because "often" the physical re-segmentation means that only a D3 compliant CMTS is available anyway?. Assuming there's no load balancing/rf switching deployed between say D3 Cisco10k's/Motorola 64ks and legacy D1/2 VXR's?
Using mixed (DOCSIS) mode on same linecard/D3 chassis is surely more inefficient in CMTS overheads so increasing the number of D1/2 (mode) CM's would be obviously counter-productive in that scenario?

Returning back to topic, interestingly as my "L"/10-1 tier provisioned on D1/2 via a current D3 compliant chassis suffices more than adequately my own usage requirements, will VM provide a config upto 20mbps on existing Ambit256 or use this "upgrade" to encourage legacy users to request D3 CM replacements in order to reduce the mixed (DOCSIS) mode overheads?
Unless "modem mode" is also released prior to that latter scenario for VMDG280 std hub then that could produce a few more "gotcha's" to add to the disgruntled number of new L/10 tier users already disappointed with that specific hub's limitations?
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 15:30   #140
Inactive

Services: 100Mbit Broadband
7031 is on a distinguished road7031 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I thought stm whipped ~75% off your connection? 50mbit always went down to 12.5mbit/1.75 so I would have thought 100mbit would be 25mbit/2.5.

I don't mind the 2.5mbit up but dropping from 100 down to 25 downstream is a bit steep so hopefully they'll do something about that. I think Ignitionet has mentioned something about a more progressive throttling system the more you hammer your connection rather than an outright smack down.
Well currently on 50mbps Virgin Media only STMs the upstream - downstream stays at 50Mbps regardless of how much is downloaded.

I'd prefer progressive throttling rather than the current system if I was on a tier which was affected.
7031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 16:00   #141
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
Is that not just posting for the sake of posting ?

So, it wont work.. as he said.
No, its not to hard to dig up the info needed, that typical docsis3 modems can work on docsis1.

The document ignition linked to months ago for the netgear device (superhub) showed in the specs as docsis 1/2/3 compatible. So at least the superhub would work on docsis1.

Sadly we have another case of because VM have chosen to not do it then it must mean its impossible from VM staff.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 16:18   #142
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
No, its not to hard to dig up the info needed, that typical docsis3 modems can work on docsis1.

The document ignition linked to months ago for the netgear device (superhub) showed in the specs as docsis 1/2/3 compatible. So at least the superhub would work on docsis1.

Sadly we have another case of because VM have chosen to not do it then it must mean its impossible from VM staff.
Neither the VMNG300 or the Superhub will work on Docsis 1 CMTS and the is no requirement for them to do so either, they could possibly write firmware but what would be the point as it would be a fruitless and not very cost effective exercise especially for the VMNG300 as it is now obsolete.

So maybe not impossible just rather pointless as we have the standard hub if you want a Docsis 1 modem which again is reason enough not to write any firmware.
Old 11-12-2011, 16:21   #143
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

masque, this is taken from the vmng300 status page nothing like misinformation eh?

Quote:
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0/3.0 Compliant
Its simply another case of a odd policy thats too rigid and is possibly a contribution to overloaded docsis3 ports. It would be nice if we could get info on if kwikbreaks docsis1 channel is lower utilised than his docsis3 channels. (mine also for that matter).

You also seem to have handily forgotten that its not that long ago all docsis3 devices on VMs network were indeed using docsis1 for their upstreams. A firmware update in all likelyhood isnt needed and would simply be a config file required.

Finally every superhub (as stated by ignition) connects to docsis1 initially on VMs network when it has no activated config file.

Poor going from you nopanic as well, just a gut reaction from you to gang up on me on the assumption I was wrong.
Old 11-12-2011, 16:22   #144
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Masque the vmng300 isn't obsolete, it's not to be swapped on site.

Doesn't the superhub lock on to a docsis1 cmts when it's on the walled garden?
I've seen a superhub working on ten meg with a green top light, would that not indicate docsis1?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 16:31   #145
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
masque, this is taken from the vmng300 status page nothing like misinformation eh?

Its simply another case of a odd policy thats too rigid and is possibly a contribution to overloaded docsis3 ports. It would be nice if we could get info on if kwikbreaks docsis1 channel is lower utilised thna his docsis3 channels.
It may say that but it does not lock on and give you internet as it is not allowed on a VXr7200 and they are getting few and far between now, so it may say it in the device but in practice computer says no.

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Masque the vmng300 isn't obsolete, it's not to be swapped on site.

Doesn't the superhub lock on to a docsis1 cmts when it's on the walled garden?
I've seen a superhub working on ten meg with a green top light, would that not indicate docsis1?
All modems prior to the both hubs are to all intents and purposes obsolete in that we no longer supply them and can no longer swap like for like.

The Superhub and the VMNG300 may initially lock onto a VXR7200 if the are any available on that node but they will never get online until they are removed from the Walled Garden and retune to the correct CMTS which will be a Motorola or or a Cisco 10 or 12.
Old 11-12-2011, 16:33   #146
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Masque the truth is this.

The reason superhubs dont come online on docsis1 is simply because VM have made no config file for it to do that.

Nothing else, its not due to technical limitations.
Old 11-12-2011, 16:35   #147
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Technically I have two vmng300s, I can swap like 4 like....
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 16:37   #148
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:

So if I say it wont run on water power .. you then say VM have decided to use electricity to power it and in fact if you change it then it will work with water ..

If VM choose to disable something then it becomes impossible to use ..

Question, can you use it ?

Answer No

But .. irrelevant ..

I don't know or care by the way ..
Old 11-12-2011, 16:43   #149
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

If VM have chosen to disable something it becomes not possible to activate for a customer.

However its not impossible for VM to enable that function by rolling out new config files, so to me the message given was misleading.
Old 11-12-2011, 16:44   #150
Nopanic
Inactive

Quote:
Masque the truth is this.

The reason superhubs dont come online on docsis1 is simply because VM have made no config file for it to do that.

Nothing else, its not due to technical limitations.
Quote:
If VM have chosen to disable something it becomes not possible to activate for a customer.

However its not impossible for VM to enable that function by rolling out new config files, so to me the message given was misleading.
Fair enough .. I agree completely with both of these.