Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can't switch from USB to Ethernet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can't switch from USB to Ethernet

Old 04-11-2005, 00:39   #1
7nt
Inactive

7nt is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't switch from USB to Ethernet

I have been on NTL BB for a couple of years and want to swap from USB to Ethernet. Have purchased Belkin PCI card and followed instructions - no joy! The card is working but doesn't seem to be able to get an IP adress. I have...
o powered off pc/modem & removed/replaced cables in all possible combinations
o checked "never dial" and unchecked LAN settings
o switched off the firewall (Kerio)
o set the modem to 100M full then back to auto detect

Modem is ntl:home 100 (ambit). OS is XP Pro SP1. ipconfig gives...
connection specific dns suffix: {blank}
Description: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical address: FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
dhcp enabled: yes
autoconfiguration enabled: yes
autoconfiguration ip address: 169.254.47.27
subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway: {blank}

Repair connection fails - "renewing the IP address"

Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received - thanks.
7nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2005, 00:44   #2
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice
Re: Can't switch from USB to Ethernet

Using a regular cable? Try X-Over
Using X-Over... try regular cable
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 00:51   #3
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

you dont need a cross over cable.

my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 00:55   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

try and see if you can access the modem on the following link (i know It works fro the 250 model)

http://192.168.100.1/

And to the site
Old 04-11-2005, 01:02   #5
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
try and see if you can access the modem on the following link (i know It works fro the 250 model)

http://192.168.100.1/

And to the site
works on the 200 too (never used to work iirc)

user = root
password = root
Old 04-11-2005, 01:10   #6
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy
you dont need a cross over cable.

my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
I did with a Ambit 200... just plain refused to work with a standard cable.. Bit of X-Over CAT5E and it was all good
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:16   #7
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf288
I did with a Ambit 200... just plain refused to work with a standard cable.. Bit of X-Over CAT5E and it was all good
strange, mines not a x-over and it works?? but then it does go into a router which might explain it
Old 04-11-2005, 02:33   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Most routers have autodetection built into their sockes.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:51   #9
7nt
Inactive

Thank you all for your help.
I have no problem accessing the modem via the 192. link - but thanks anyway.
I have "acquired" a cross-over cable and will try it later (I am well past worrying about the theory and would chant incantations at the bl**dy thing if I thought it might help!)
I will also try editing the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Thanks again and I will update on results later - that is if my dicking around with the subnet mask doesn't disconnect me from the netherworld forever.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:08   #10
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nt
IDescription: Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical address: FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
There is something very wrong with your ethernet NIC. It will never work with a Physical Address looking like that. You might as well stop trying for as long as you have a Physical Address of all Fs.

Try re-seating the NIC in its motherboard socket. Try replacing the NIC with a fresh one.
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:35   #11
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

As Robin says the Mac/Physical address is clearly wrong - it looks like the EEPROM on the network card has either not been programmed, has been zapped in some way or is faulty.

If reseating the card does not work (unlikely) you could try searching the net for tools specific to the Realtek chipset. There are some out there for this chipset that let you reset the Mac address to a value of your choice. This is not something most if any Windows drivers let you do as the Mac address is normally set at the factory.

APS
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:44   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Moved to Computers & IT forum
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 19:30   #13
7nt
Inactive

Thank you guys!

Am finally talking to you via cat5 - courtesy of a surecom NIC borrowed from work. One Belkin winging its way back to Amazon!

Best regards,
Gary.