Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone use an Apple AirPort?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Anyone use an Apple AirPort?

Old 08-11-2006, 13:07   #1
97shaftesbury
Inactive

97shaftesbury is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone use an Apple AirPort?

Hi there, I'm quite confused with the number of IP addresses and other variables of jargon, but can anyone shed any light on how to use an Apple Airport M8440 with a Telewest (Motorola) SB5101e cable modem... I understand I may need to check the 'shared access' and 'on demand dialling' tabs in the modem's control panel, but unlike my old DLink wireless ADSL router, I can't find the IP address to access it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Henry.
97shaftesbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2006, 14:25   #2
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Anyone use an Apple AirPort?

You should need to do nothing other than power everything down, then power up the CM, wait 30 seconds and power up the AirPort (of course having the CM plugged into the cable and the ethernet cable from that to the airport WAN port.

To access the AirPort you use the apple software. You should not need to do anything to the CM. Are you really setting up the backup dial up solution of the airport?
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 15:19   #3
97shaftesbury
Inactive

97shaftesbury is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it isnt really a cable modem issue or one I can expect a solution for on this site. The software is for Macs only so is no use for me... I had instructions on configuring the IP address manually but that didnt work. I'll see if there's a forum for the Airport.
97shaftesbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 18:41   #4
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

So let me get this straight, you have an Airport but no apple? How bizarre...

Anyhow, there is some software here that should configure the airport from a pc, and if it doesn't work have a lot at the (rather long) article here for some alternative software and advice
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 19:10   #5
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Does the Apple Airport Express Assistant for Windows work on this? It does on my AirPort Express?
Old 09-11-2006, 19:13   #6
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

IIRC it only works if the Airport is version 1.3, and you can only update the firmware when connected to a mac....
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 19:15   #7
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
IIRC it only works if the Airport is version 1.3, and you can only update the firmware when connected to a mac....
There are AirPort Express firmware fixes for Windows
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html
this does not help the OP though who is working with the AirPort not the AX.