Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 300 + 300 exisitng VM customer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Explain please ... How come VM's engineers are on Orange ????

Old 16-09-2008, 11:14   #1
clumsymum
Inactive

Services: BB M TV L and V+ Phone L
clumsymum is on a distinguished roadclumsymum is on a distinguished road
Explain please ... How come VM's engineers are on Orange ????

Engineer came this morning to my TV STB (long story, other thread).

Anyway, when he had to ring in to register the box I enquired if he could get a signal, as I can't at home, on Vodafone. He said he could, that Orange coverage is pretty good round here.

So, how come they don't use their own service?
It certainly doesn't encourage me to look that way next time my contract to com,es up for renewal.
clumsymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2008, 11:21   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Explain please ... How come VM's engineers are on Orange ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsymum View Post
Engineer came this morning to my TV STB (long story, other thread).

Anyway, when he had to ring in to register the box I enquired if he could get a signal, as I can't at home, on Vodafone. He said he could, that Orange coverage is pretty good round here.

So, how come they don't use their own service?
It certainly doesn't encourage me to look that way next time my contract to com,es up for renewal.
A long-standing contract that either NTL or Telewest had with Orange, possibly, that pre-dates the Virgin rebrand. Or else your tech may have been a contractor from Kelly, who do a lot of work for VM but are not employees of VM. Kelly Communications may have its own contract with Orange to supply mobile phones to staff.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 11:24   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

.....or your contractor could have been using their own personal phone rather than a corporate one.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 11:25   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
And sometimes it's a sex toy. Especially if you're called Bill or Monica. Where's this analogy going?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 11:25   #5
clumsymum
Inactive

But if it was my business, I'd be promoting the services throughout, contractor or not, if you are representing a Virgin company, you carry their services.

Maybe, having done my 'business growing up" through the eighties, I got alot of the IBM ethic.

But it all serves to undermine the brand...
Old 16-09-2008, 16:57   #6
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsymum View Post
But if it was my business, I'd be promoting the services throughout, contractor or not, if you are representing a Virgin company, you carry their services.

Maybe, having done my 'business growing up" through the eighties, I got alot of the IBM ethic.

But it all serves to undermine the brand...
in-house techs are now all migrated onto orange,(or should be by now)there were a couple of providers when we came together but whilst we have been rebranded as VM another deal was struck with orange.i agree you would think that we could have sorted something out with Virgin mobile considering we own it, but if you ran a pub,youd still have to pay for your beer or youd be out of pocket (and we are big drinkers when it comes to mobile phone useage)
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 17:56   #7
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
in-house techs are now all migrated onto orange,(or should be by now)there were a couple of providers when we came together but whilst we have been rebranded as VM another deal was struck with orange.i agree you would think that we could have sorted something out with Virgin mobile considering we own it, but if you ran a pub,youd still have to pay for your beer or youd be out of pocket (and we are big drinkers when it comes to mobile phone useage)
Virgin dont do business mobile, Thats the reason i would expect.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 18:00   #8
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
now why didnt i think of that
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 19:30   #9
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Quote:
Correct, and ntl: had a long standing contract with orange..

It appeared we were moving to t-mobile as per Telewest but it went the other way, good job as we had crappy signal in lots of offices
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 19:39   #10
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Its true VM don't do business Mobile and NTL has been using Orange business services for years.
Old 16-09-2008, 20:23   #11
clumsymum
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
.....or your contractor could have been using their own personal phone rather than a corporate one.

No mate, we had a chat about it, that's how I know all the engineers are on Orange

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Ah I didn't realise, as my small business contract is with Vodafone. Fine, I won't look to VM then when my contract becomes renewable.
Old 16-09-2008, 20:29   #12
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

I'm all for employees representing their company by using the products, but Virgin Mobile isn't really Virgins product - they don't own the network and aren't responsible for any failures on it. Not to mention the fact that although there are most likely SLAs inplace, I'd be very surprised if T-Mobiles equipment didn't prioritise T-Mobile subs in problem areas or high traffic areas.

Personally I'd be surprised if they did use Virgin Mobile given the coverage compared to someone like Vodafone or Orange. As a customer, you'll think worse of them if their mobile doesn't work than you would if they're not using Virgin Mobile.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 21:38   #13
Locky33
Inactive

Services: Virgin 120mb, Tivo XL, + extra V+ box, XL phone + 4 mobile contracts!
Locky33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
I'm all for employees representing their company by using the products, but Virgin Mobile isn't really Virgins product - they don't own the network and aren't responsible for any failures on it. Not to mention the fact that although there are most likely SLAs inplace, I'd be very surprised if T-Mobiles equipment didn't prioritise T-Mobile subs in problem areas or high traffic areas.

Personally I'd be surprised if they did use Virgin Mobile given the coverage compared to someone like Vodafone or Orange. As a customer, you'll think worse of them if their mobile doesn't work than you would if they're not using Virgin Mobile.
Virgin dont own it, i believe it will be a matter of time and virgin media will aim to have its own network by buying out t-mobile or a majority share. There was some talk that there is a long term contract agreement with the launch of virgin mobile broadband. If that takes off along with large numbers of mobile customers it would be worth them doing so. I dont expect t-mobile earn a lot of revenue out of virgin mobile customers with maintenance costs of the network. Virgin mobile must earn a profit out of the £10 deal for Virgin Media customers. No other providers match it Vodafone comes close with some of their new deals but still slightly more expensive. However as you said Vodafone has more coverage, in fact i would say probably the most coverage out of all providers and is becoming recognised worldwide hence why it has sponsored formula 1.
Locky33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 21:42   #14
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
I'd be very surprised if T-Mobiles equipment didn't prioritise T-Mobile subs in problem areas or high traffic areas.

i wouldn't bother, my company has t-mobile and to say they are crap is an understatement - no mater where in the country we work their pants.
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote