Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 26-03-2011, 14:44   #5056
ronnie_m
Inactive

Services: Tivo on VIP50
ronnie_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I think it's a know issue with the website changes and is under investigation
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2011, 17:08   #5057
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Hmmm:
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ame-buyer.aspx
Quote:
This week, well-known hedge fund Citadel Investment Group disclosed it had taken a 5.3% stake in digital video recorder maker TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO ) . Yes, that's the same TiVo that reported a loss per share that tripled from last year to $0.30 per share.

So what is Citadel doing buying a company that has issues up the wazoo? There are a few things Citadel may be thinking.

TiVo's IP is more valuable than anyone else thinks - TiVo is an intellectual property company if nothing else. The company has 196 patents issued and another 371 applications outstanding. And TiVo has been rigorously litigating competitors it thinks are infringing.

TiVo has patent infringement lawsuits outstanding with EchoStar (Nasdaq: SATS ) , Verizon (NYSE: VZ ) , AT&T (NYSE: T ) , and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT ) , along with counterclaims outstanding for the last three. Not exactly a great list of enemies. But winning these cases can be lucrative, like when TiVo won a case against EchoStar in 2008, which paid out $104.6 million.

At the very least, Citadel must think the expense TiVo is incurring to prosecute and defend these cases will be worth it and there will be some upside in the future.

But as with any legal spat, there is downside risk. DISH Network (Nasdaq: DISH ) is also suing TiVo in another patent infringement case. Citadel's lawyers must be pretty confident in the merits of all of these cases because litigation is getting awfully expensive and the opposition has very deep pockets.
Old 26-03-2011, 18:18   #5058
RUSTY
Inactive

Services: ntl 10Mg broadband, ntl XL samsung TV drive V+ talk unlimited RF Mod powered scart Tivo HTC Desir
RUSTY is on a distinguished roadRUSTY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
....interesting as I heard two guys talking by an aerial installers van about a new model Tivo being launched, thought no more about it until I saw your post, cannot see virgin issuing an upgrade box so soon, may be the market for Tivo really is on the up & up again.
Old 26-03-2011, 18:31   #5059
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
True I have been watching TIVO and also VMED on NASDAQ for a fair while now and the market are keeping the prices roughly the same? So i do think that this is a good move for anyone?
Old 26-03-2011, 19:48   #5060
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
True I have been watching TIVO and also VMED on NASDAQ for a fair while now and the market are keeping the prices roughly the same? So i do think that this is a good move for anyone?
Eh? TiVO is trading at $8 and VM is at $27
Old 26-03-2011, 20:18   #5061
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Not fully sure about TIVO, but if you look at VMED over the last 2 years and the stock prices it is good.

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/historica...&selected=VMED
Old 26-03-2011, 20:57   #5062
Parlyboy
cf.addict

Services: Everything, sold my soul to Virgin!
Parlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really niceParlyboy is just really nice

TiVo users, you lucky people. Random and VERY narrow interest enquiry to follow.

I noticed there was a specific button on the iPlayer app for BBC Alba. The iPad version of the app allows you to watch the channel live, does the TiVo allow you to do this?

Narrow interest I know but I'm from the Isle of Lewis and I'm keen to get BBC Alba , which has been long rumoured but not forthcoming on Virgin

PB
Old 26-03-2011, 21:32   #5063
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Eh? TiVO is trading at $8 and VM is at $27
There's not that big of a difference LOL What's $19 between friends.
Old 26-03-2011, 21:32   #5064
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlyboy View Post
I noticed there was a specific button on the iPlayer app for BBC Alba. The iPad version of the app allows you to watch the channel live, does the TiVo allow you to do this?
iPlayer App is catch up only

Doesn't make much sense to offer Live TV when they are on the normal service (although appreciate that BBC Alba isn't at the moment)
Old 27-03-2011, 11:21   #5065
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

When I get my call/email sometime next week for TiVo, what are my options and costings involved with regards to having my current V+ box relocated to another room?

I'm on VIP50 so that would then become my third box if that makes any difference to the price?

Would it be cheaper to swap it for a standard V-HD box?

The V+ box which my TiVo will be replacing is currently selected to receive Sky Sports & Movies HD. Will this licence automatically be transferred to TiVo when it's installed?

All the best,

Danny
Old 27-03-2011, 11:54   #5066
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlyboy View Post
TiVo users, you lucky people. Random and VERY narrow interest enquiry to follow.

Narrow interest I know but I'm from the Isle of Lewis and I'm keen to get BBC Alba , which has been long rumoured but not forthcoming on Virgin

PB
Maybe you should consider Freesat. You can enter any UK postcode to access local services. It depends just how important BBC Alba is to you I suppose.
Old 27-03-2011, 13:40   #5067
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
When I get my call/email sometime next week for TiVo, what are my options and costings involved with regards to having my current V+ box relocated to another room?

I'm on VIP50 so that would then become my third box if that makes any difference to the price?

Would it be cheaper to swap it for a standard V-HD box?

The V+ box which my TiVo will be replacing is currently selected to receive Sky Sports & Movies HD. Will this licence automatically be transferred to TiVo when it's installed?

All the best,

Danny
no it not automatically the engineer who set mine up rang a women 2 minutes l8r it was sorted. just ask engineer he should be fine with it.
Old 27-03-2011, 14:04   #5068
Doz007
cf.geek

Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryn9000 View Post
no it not automatically the engineer who set mine up rang a women 2 minutes l8r it was sorted. just ask engineer he should be fine with it.
Thanks for that, did you keep your old V+ box and have it re-located? How much does an extra V+ cost per month?
Old 27-03-2011, 14:08   #5069
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

relocated downstairs m8
Old 27-03-2011, 14:19   #5070
Doz007
cf.geek

Good man, I'm planning on moving mine upstairs. I see you're also packing VIP50, do you know how much having the additional box is costing you a month?

Thanks again
Closed Thread