Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 23-10-2023, 22:45   #2386
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The energy crisis

Not very smart are they? Lol
Old 24-10-2023, 02:40   #2387
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Well yes, presumably they will become dumb meters that you need to read.

Quote:
The government claims this replacement exercise will cost ‘about’ £2 for each household
In what world ?
I doubt that would cover the meter cost, let alone the engineer time.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 09:06   #2388
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well yes, presumably they will become dumb meters that you need to read.

In what world ?
I doubt that would cover the meter cost, let alone the engineer time.
I think they might mean every household in the country making the cost tens of millions
Old 24-10-2023, 12:08   #2389
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I think they might mean every household in the country making the cost tens of millions
Yes, because heaven forbid the utility company will take the hit in profits by funding the meter themselves.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 12:44   #2390
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think they do, but even still what - 28 million households?

£8 wouldn’t pay someone to cross your door, let alone start playing around with meters and equipment, test, and leave. Their hourly rate would be far in excess of this, before anyone even adds the cost of new meters/modules.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 13:13   #2391
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

£8 wouldn’t pay someone to cross your door, let alone start playing around with meters and equipment, test, and leave. Their hourly rate would be far in excess of this, before anyone even adds the cost of new meters/modules.
Would they just post it and the user plugs it in, in place of the old smart meter?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 13:13   #2392
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Quote:

Probably a daft question but .....Couldn't the change over be done by a remote software change/update. I know when my smart meter was playing up Octopus gave it a long distance kick to make it behave.
Old 24-10-2023, 13:23   #2393
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Would they just post it and the user plugs it in, in place of the old smart meter?
That's only the remote user display. The actual smart meter is hard wired into the main power feed to the fusebox.
Old 24-10-2023, 13:39   #2394
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Probably a daft question but .....Couldn't the change over be done by a remote software change/update. I know when my smart meter was playing up Octopus gave it a long distance kick to make it behave.
If they’re wired for 2G or 3G and they need 4G they will require different hardware. I guess there might be a swappable module inside them but it might mean a full replacement.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 13:46   #2395
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I guess there might be a swappable module inside them
That's what the article says.

I've just been to look at mine. The swappable module is not going to be cheap, and is not user replaceable (the screws have tamper-evident seals on)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 19:02   #2396
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I dont think all 28 million have smart meters, esp older ones.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 19:07   #2397
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I dont think all 28 million have smart meters, esp older ones.
Apologies - I think Jaymoss was saying they were using the figure for all households (28 million-ish) when they arrived at £2, and just not those with smart meters (around 7m).

So the whole cost of the exercise £56m instead of £14m. However, it still seems very small.
Old 24-10-2023, 19:11   #2398
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Apologies - I think Jaymoss was saying they were using the figure for all households (28 million-ish) when they arrived at £2, and just not those with smart meters (around 7m).

So the whole cost of the exercise £56m instead of £14m. However, it still seems very small.
See HS2 for details!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 19:12   #2399
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Depends how they cost it

If they cost total cost of the job then it will be a lot more but if they factor in the guys are working for them anyway so labour costs are not included then it will be only the cost of the parts. Selling £2 per household costs is a lot more palatable that a tenner +
Old 24-10-2023, 19:25   #2400
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Depends how they cost it

If they cost total cost of the job then it will be a lot more but if they factor in the guys are working for them anyway so labour costs are not included then it will be only the cost of the parts. Selling £2 per household costs is a lot more palatable that a tenner +
It's also a lie.