Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Where the Mini Gone

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Chernobyl 'likely to kill 4,000'

Old 08-09-2005, 16:41   #1
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Chernobyl 'likely to kill 4,000'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4216102.stm

That title is not indicative of the contents of the article

Quote:
Dr Burton Bennett, chairman of the Chernobyl Forum and an authority on radiation effects, said: "This was a very serious accident with major health consequences, especially for thousands of workers exposed in the early days who received very high radiation doses, and for the thousands more stricken with thyroid cancer.

"By and large, however, we have not found profound negative health impacts to the rest of the population in surrounding areas, nor have we found widespread contamination that would continue to pose a substantial threat to human health, within a few exceptional, restricted areas."

Melissa Fleming, of the IFEA, said the Chernobyl Forum report showed there was "finally a consensus" on the health and environmental consequences" of the explosion.

The report also concluded that, aside from a 30km (18 mile) area surrounding the site, radiation levels in the area had returned to acceptable levels.
Old 08-09-2005, 17:21   #2
Martin
Inactive

Services: Sky Q, Bt Infinity
Martin has reached the bronze age
Martin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze ageMartin has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Martin
Re: Chernobyl 'likely to kill 4,000'

Have a look over this site http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki.../chapter1.html some interesting pics of how it all looks now!
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 17:44   #3
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
Have a look over this site http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki.../chapter1.html some interesting pics of how it all looks now!
I've seen that several times now..still good though.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:57   #4
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Interesting couple of links... I especially like the biker chick with the camera and no fear of radiation - she includes some very moving photos and commentary.

Not sure this is posted in the right section though... would've thought it belongs in Current Affairs - maybe a Mod can move it?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:00   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I knew someone who died as a direct result of being forced to help in the 'clean up' there........
Old 09-09-2005, 10:23   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
Interesting couple of links... I especially like the biker chick with the camera and no fear of radiation - she includes some very moving photos and commentary.

Not sure this is posted in the right section though... would've thought it belongs in Current Affairs - maybe a Mod can move it?
Not really.I found it under the health section at the beeb and I reckon that Science and Technology is probably the best place..well until we get a health section that is.It's not really Current affairs after all..unlike the two mothers genetic non cloning story which perhaps I should have posted in Current Affairs..

It's danged hard sometimes deciding which section some stories come under.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:40   #7
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
Not really.I found it under the health section at the beeb and I reckon that Science and Technology is probably the best place..well until we get a health section that is.It's not really Current affairs after all..unlike the two mothers genetic non cloning story which perhaps I should have posted in Current Affairs..
Hmm, suppose... but I always thought that this area was for advances in science and technoology, etc... A Health thread is a good idea - especially as we have our own resident quack. We could have a flashing sign that says 'The Doctor is in' whenever he's online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
It's danged hard sometimes deciding which section some stories come under.
Yeah, I get that problem a lot... and usually end up posting in completely the wrong sections

Oops, just realised that I've been dragging this off topic... bringing it back in-line, Elena Filatova (the biker chick - see Martin's link) refers to the UN's findings and believes that their announcement of official deaths has more to do with our reliance on nuclear power than anything else. I'm not sure if I agree with her, but I do think that they've under-estimated the number of fatalities... Here's a link to her comments.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:53   #8
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
You reported this last night, try hovering the mouse over the moderators name next to the reported post in this page to find out what the action taken is: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/reported.php?

In this case we decided that it could be justifiably in either section, so it can stay put.
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 19:16   #9
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

I wonder if there will ever be a way to cure agaisnt radiation, a way so Nuclear fallout such as this can be curbed as easily as a simple virus with anti-biotics.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote