Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cooling an AMD FX8320

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows Update problem

Old 13-10-2014, 14:09   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Windows Update problem

The wife's PC doesn't seem to want to update properly. I have no idea if it's connected but today it froze a couple of times on startup After powering off/on a couple of times it fired up and I was able to get into her (admin) account. On doing this I noticed Avast was showing several updates were required e.g. Adobe Air which were completed but then a message appeared stating that Windows Updates had failed or something. I tried again via the start menu but it failed to update and gave me an error code:

Error code 8007EE2

With advice to try adding the following to the list of allowed sites in the Windows Firewall

http://*.update.microsoft.com
https://*.update.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

I am using Windows Firewall, however, and this should apparently not be necessary but I have checked WF and can't see these items in the list of allowed sites so am wondering what to do. I noticed from the that the last windows updates were done in July but they should have been automatic so it seems the problem started around then.

Rather than change anything I disabled Windows Firewall and tried to update but once again it failed and this time gave a slightly different code 80072ee2 with a message that Windows was unable to search for updates.

Not sure what to do now. It's Win 7 by the way. TIA

PS I tried to attach a screenshot of the window which opened but was unable to upload it. Wondering if this is part of the same problem...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2014, 14:25   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Windows Update problem

Both error codes and your inability to upload sound like a problem with your internet connection. Turn off any third party firewalls (i.e. Avast) and try again.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 15:45   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Thanks for the reply. She's using Avast free version and I don't think it contains a Firewall. I managed to update Adobe Air and Avast virus definitions also. Oddly Avast tells me an update is available but when I click on it the programme tells me it's up to date.

Right now I'm backing up her documents and pictures/videos just in case there's a major problem with the hard drive or whatever.
Old 13-10-2014, 16:44   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Hmm, if Avast has no firewall then I would try starting in Safe Mode with Networking. Windows update won't work there, but uploading images and/or other internet access should.
Old 13-10-2014, 20:26   #5
Osem
Inactive

Right, Avast has no Firewall but since I was last here I managed to update it to the latest version and that seems fine. I still can't get Windows Update to work however and can't upload an image to CF. I just tried emailing screen capture images of the Windows Firewall allowed applications settings from this machine and was unable to attach them to the email so will copy them onto an SD card and try to post them here later or tomorrow. I'm wondering if these settings are at fault somehow. Have been backing up stuff and farting around all afternoon so packing in shortly before my head explodes but will try starting in safe mode when I can.

Oh I did try starting in safe mode at one point this morning when the 'Windows wasn't shut down properly' message appeared after a failed attempt to start her up but that too hung for ages so I just powered the machine off and tried a normal restart after which it worked.

Having backed her up and found some recovery discs for the machine I'm wondering if it might be easier to do a restore or even a reset but I'm saying that having never done one... lol I seem to have 2 discs one for Win7 32 bit and one for Win7 64 bit so which would I use if I went down this route?
Old 14-10-2014, 14:37   #6
Osem
Inactive

Hi guys. I just noticed that on this laptop, my Windows Firewall settings are a bit different from my wife's and that there are various Windows programmes (Live for example) which are ticked to allow access by my firewall but are unticked on hers. Would it be safe to set her Firewall to allow any Microsoft or Windows programmes? I guess I'm wondering whether these settings have somehow been changed on her Firewall and are causing the uploading problem. If that is the case though, what I can't understand is why turning her Firewall off briefly didn't solve the issue. When I did this I didn't get a message telling me a restart was required.
Old 14-10-2014, 14:42   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

These are all just allows for inbound connections. They should have no effect on outbound connections.
Old 14-10-2014, 14:47   #8
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
These are all just allows for inbound connections. They should have no effect on outbound connections.
OK, sorry if I'm being really simple but why does the Windows error code I got mention that I may need to add those 3 Windows links to my Firewall exceptions then?

==========================

Update

Right I am now back on the wife's PC and the upload and Windows update problems persist. I just checked the update history and found the following were the most recent updates listed:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.185.2784.0)

Installation date: ‎13/‎10/‎2014 12:42 Installation status: Successful

Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320

Installation date: ‎26/‎08/‎2014 15:07 Installation status: Successful

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.177.1917.0)

Installation date: ‎08/‎07/‎2014 14:57 Installation status: Successful

So prior to my being able to update the Windows Defender definitions yesterday, the last update was Windows Update Agent which is supposed to handle all automatic updating, the very thing which is broken. Could a problem here be the cause of this issue?
Old 14-10-2014, 15:29   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
OK, sorry if I'm being really simple but why does the Windows error code I got mention that I may need to add those 3 Windows links to my Firewall exceptions then?
It tells you to add the exceptions to other firewalls if you have them instead of the Windows firewall. It does not tell you to add them to the Windows firewall.

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Regardless, it's possible the Windows update updater is broken, but that wouldn't explain your inability to upload or send files through a browser. Perhaps the BITS service is damaged, although that shouldn't affect browsers either. An sfc /scannow would pick up any corrupt files as a result of that update, although it still seems to be more generic network issues to me.
Old 14-10-2014, 15:48   #10
Osem
Inactive

HI thanks for clarifying. I realise that the links were intended for other firewalls but thought that was simply because they'd already be in the Windows Firewall by default. So I was thinking maybe they could have been removed or changed in some way on my wife's PC.

I just started her PC up in safe mode but found that there was no network connection available so I was unable to trying uploading anything.
Old 14-10-2014, 16:05   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Windows firewall doesn't require outbound exceptions as all outbound connections are always allowed by default - there's nothing to remove. Not all other firewalls work in this manner, that's why the advice is there.

Did you start up in safe mode or safe mode *with networking*?
Old 14-10-2014, 17:52   #12
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Windows firewall doesn't require outbound exceptions as all outbound connections are always allowed by default - there's nothing to remove. Not all other firewalls work in this manner, that's why the advice is there.

Did you start up in safe mode or safe mode *with networking*?
Ahhh.........

Will try that and report back. TVM

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

OK managed to get into safe mode with networking. Was able to get online and tried to send an email attachment but it wouldn't upload. I also tried to attach an image to this post with the same result.

I got the same flagged up warning message about Windows being unable to update but also a new one telling me to turn on the windows security centre service. Not sure if that's important or what would be expected.

Incidentally getting into safe mode was a pain. On starting up a message appears to press F8 for boot options but when I did all I got was 4 choices about booting up from a HDD, Generic USB device or something, no mention of safe mode. Selecting the default choice just turned the PC on normally. Eventually I just turned to PC off by holding in the power button and when it rebooted I was presented with the various start windows normally and safe mode options I'm used to seeing.
Old 15-10-2014, 13:49   #13
Osem
Inactive

Right, I thought system restore might be worth a shot but oddly it shows up only one restore point which was yesterday afternoon for some reason I don't appreciate. Ticking the box 'show more restore points' does nothing so it appears I can't restore any further back than yesterday.

I've just noticed an option to create a 'system repair disc' but have no idea whether going down this route would be possible, worthwhile or advisable.
Old 15-10-2014, 19:42   #14
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

I don't know if it's relevant to your problem, but didn't Microsoft issue a couple of updates then promptly withdraw them couple of months ago? (could have even be 3months)
Loads of people complained about failed updates at the time.
Plus don't forget current updates increased by 132Mb (in my case) today.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 20:04   #15
Osem
Inactive

Yes I recall that it was August I think. I'll have a dig around and see what I can find out about that.

I've just done a full system scan by Avast which showed no infections so that's positive. It did flag up 4 files which could not be scanned but I seem to recall they were flagged up before this current fault appeared.