Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cutting Edge going blunt?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cutting Edge going blunt?

Old 15-04-2011, 18:10   #31
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Cutting Edge going blunt?

Well, if you've had it for ages, you should be out of initial contract term.
10 Mbit could well be more than the "up to 24" ADLs deliver, unless you are at close range to the exchange - the Samknows site should be able to make a prediction.

As for performance, Check the tuning, on Vista/Win7 it may work better to use the restricted autotuninglevel, as the normal profile can overstress some routers etc.
On Win XP, using basic "TCP Optimizer" tuning for RWIN is definitely worth doing.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2011, 23:03   #32
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
As for performance, Check the tuning, on Vista/Win7 it may work better to use the restricted autotuninglevel, as the normal profile can overstress some routers etc.
On Win XP, using basic "TCP Optimizer" tuning for RWIN is definitely worth doing.
Nice tip, thank you .
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 23:07   #33
mroebuck
Inactive

mroebuck is an unknown quantity at this point

My 10mb NEVER gives me any where near 10mb - I made a BIG mistake coming to Virgin, one that I will correct ASAP! YOU are one of the lucky ones! Try to see things through the eyes of those of us who have CONSTANT issues! Things are a whole lot darker on our side of the fence! I really wish we could ALL be as lucky as you! There would be no need for this forum! NOT moaning just making a point!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCooper View Post
May i ask what deals look more attractive? 10mb package is a 10mb connection.. If it changes there is a fault in your line and you should have it checked over.

I mean it's all down to opinion but my 10mb package gives me the full amount consistantly; peak times and off-peak. Even if i saw a 24meg ADSL connection at similar price, i'd be reluctant to change. Just looking at the OFCOM reports shows how most ISP's speeds vary compared to their advertised speeds.

By the way, the are offering £5 off your bill for 6 months if you upgrade to 30mb. The installation is £30 but as you can see you get your money back off the bill so it's technically free. I'm tempted to upgrade but i don't wanna jump into a new 12-month contract w/ higher outgoings just yet.
mroebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 23:12   #34
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroebuck View Post
My 10mb NEVER gives me any where near 10mb - I made a BIG mistake coming to Virgin, one that I will correct ASAP! YOU are one of the lucky ones! Try to see things through the eyes of those of us who have CONSTANT issues! Things are a whole lot darker on our side of the fence! I really wish we could ALL be as lucky as you! There would be no need for this forum! NOT moaning just making a point!

Thanks
Try Matth's tip above - it helps.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.
Old 15-04-2011, 23:14   #35
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Thanks
The point you are trying to make would belie what the majority see. Trust me, It's very rare I stick up for VM! The truth is it is a minority of customers who have major connection problems.

YES VM could do better and no mistake. As regards my speeds no problem until I tried the plooperhub!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 23:22   #36
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The point you are trying to make would belie what the majority see. Trust me, It's very rare I stick up for VM! The truth is it is a minority of customers who have major connection problems.

YES VM could do better and no mistake. As regards my speeds no problem until I tried the plooperhub!
Well done pip. You seem a knowledgeable bloke with a fair few posts under your belt and a good rep. Lately though you've found it hard to say anything good about VM. Surely there's a way for VM to resolve your issue without losing your custom?

Whatever, you've still been able to be honest about connection performance. Deep down, I think your heart is with VM not against it.
Old 15-04-2011, 23:23   #37
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Thanks
Well mine does, I am on the old M tier but so long as I avoid 6:30 to 8:00pm I get a solid 10Mb with a 1Mb upload. Just what it says on the tin !
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 23:46   #38
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Well done pip. You seem a knowledgeable bloke with a fair few posts under your belt and a good rep. Lately though you've found it hard to say anything good about VM. Surely there's a way for VM to resolve your issue without losing your custom?

Whatever, you've still been able to be honest about connection performance. Deep down, I think your heart is with VM not against it.
I was a cable customer long before VM came on the scene. Before even the internet. I started with Bolton cable, then Cable & Wireless then NTL.

I left NTL about 4 years ago when they started traffic management and went to Be.(I was sharing a house at the time and others were hammering the connection and myself occasionally)

I left Be 2 years ago due to moving to an area where at the time Be could not supply me with a decent speed due to the distance from the BT exchange.

I rejoined VM 2 years ago on a 20 Mb connection as 50Mb was still "flakey", after a year I upgraded to 50Mb. In those 2 years I had no problem, I could download the odd torrent or something from newsgroups ( and I mean ODD One!) then traffic shaping appeared.

Now I am treated the same as anyone who is hammering it! Then to cap it all they bring out a POS called a "superhub"!

Going to Infinity does not make that much difference except for the main thing, ping and latency are much better. BT's traffic shaping is much more draconion but it makes no difference to me. I can use my own router which is set up for my network and if ever I have a router problem I can connect directly to the modem.

My BT contract is for 18mths but by then I fully expect Be to be supplying FTTC as will SKY etc. I will then go to Be as they actually care about their customers.
Old 16-04-2011, 00:02   #39
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Fair enough. It's a personal choice and you're entitled to choose. I suppose though, that running a network for millions of people will mean VM can't please all of the people all of the time.

Hope your alternative choice works out.
Old 16-04-2011, 00:14   #40
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Fair enough. It's a personal choice and you're entitled to choose. I suppose though, that running a network for millions of people will mean VM can't please all of the people all of the time.

Hope your alternative choice works out.
My personal choice is working now. I have Infinity and VM ATM. On comparison Infinity is miles better. That may change though as the take-up increases. It remains to be seen.

I don't expect any ISP to please everyone all of the time, I just don't expect them to screw their more knowledgeable "high end" users (that doesn't mean those hammering newsgroups or torrents!).
Old 16-04-2011, 05:48   #41
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I was a cable customer long before VM came on the scene. Before even the internet. I started with Bolton cable, then Cable & Wireless then NTL.

I left NTL about 4 years ago when they started traffic management and went to Be.(I was sharing a house at the time and others were hammering the connection and myself occasionally)

I left Be 2 years ago due to moving to an area where at the time Be could not supply me with a decent speed due to the distance from the BT exchange.

I rejoined VM 2 years ago on a 20 Mb connection as 50Mb was still "flakey", after a year I upgraded to 50Mb. In those 2 years I had no problem, I could download the odd torrent or something from newsgroups ( and I mean ODD One!) then traffic shaping appeared.

Now I am treated the same as anyone who is hammering it! Then to cap it all they bring out a POS called a "superhub"!

Going to Infinity does not make that much difference except for the main thing, ping and latency are much better. BT's traffic shaping is much more draconion but it makes no difference to me. I can use my own router which is set up for my network and if ever I have a router problem I can connect directly to the modem.

My BT contract is for 18mths but by then I fully expect Be to be supplying FTTC as will SKY etc. I will then go to Be as they actually care about their customers.
It seems the bad decision's started from around sept/oct last year to now. Sept 2010 you was a happy bunny, no superhub, no protocol shaping. In the space of a few months a lot changed. I also do still find it odd my service was fine in sept and early oct and when the shaping was switched on there was an almost overnight decline of everything.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 09:12   #42
AaronCooper
Inactive

AaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks
http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2011/03/02...ertised-speed/

Obviously there will be people will a faulty line, router, overpopulated Ubr, etc but the majority do have speeds like mine. Any faults should be investigated and resolved, just phone up and they should be happy to help.
AaronCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 09:57   #43
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

The above chart in context.
http://www.techradar.com/news/intern...k-truth-705797
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 09:58   #44
AaronCooper
Inactive

AaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enough

Yeah i linked a newer article above the chart carl =]
AaronCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 10:05   #45
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Sorry. Didn't even see the link Saved for future quoting.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote