Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 24-07-2014, 06:28   #4756
speedski
Inactive

speedski is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
The thing is though VM will be charging £29.75 for sky sports when the increase arrives where as Sky will be charging £24.50 I know VM need to make a profit ect but the time will come when people end up ditching the SS add-on

Will be interesting to see if TalkTalk up the price as they already charge £30 a month for all the channels
Yeah there's a difference in actual price, I never look to be honest - get £20 a month off my bundle, the bundle price for me is the critical point.
speedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-07-2014, 11:20   #4757
Mad Bee
cf.addict

Services: VIP 50, Tivo and V+
Mad Bee will become famous soon enoughMad Bee will become famous soon enoughMad Bee will become famous soon enough

Tell you what I can't wait for SSN to be re-branded in August.

Typical Sky pomp and bluster.

http://www1.skysports.com/other-spor...channel-of-401
Mad Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:36   #4758
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky launches ‘Sky Sports News HQ’ offering unrivalled multi-platform service

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post2597.html
Every time I read about Sky Sports News HQ I'm reminded of Media Boy HQ!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:42   #4759
Mad Bee
cf.addict

Services: VIP 50, Tivo and V+
Mad Bee will become famous soon enoughMad Bee will become famous soon enoughMad Bee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Every time I read about Sky Sports News HQ I'm reminded of Media Boy HQ!
The day of new channel launches MB should head to VM HQ and make 'new signing' announcements with a crowd of subscribers whooping behind him.

The clincher would be an interview with Richard Branson through a wound down car window.

Mad Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 22:50   #4760
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

With the bidding process for Premiership rights starting later this year it seems most think that BT Sport will push SKY hard, and even win the lions share of rights. What nobody seems to be considering is what happens if SKY bid big, and win the majority of rights, leaving BT with just one package of matches equating to 23 games?

As we've seen over the past 6 months, SKY have been working hard securing long term deals for various sports. Between SKY and BT the vast majority of sports are nailed down for the near future. Would 23 Premiership games and European football rights be enough to keep BT Sports viable?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 23:30   #4761
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Would 23 Premiership games and European football rights be enough to keep BT Sports viable?
As a tool to retain and gain broadband customers, yes. But as a means to charging for the service, probably not.
One side effect of the Sky Europe creation is that the new Sky will be a lot more endebted so initially may be unlikely to push the boat out so much on rights deals.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 06:09   #4762
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

BT Sports are in it for the long run Chad and they have extremely big pockets so money will be no object to them and that's why l think they will win more PL rights then before.
Old 26-07-2014, 08:45   #4763
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
As a tool to retain and gain broadband customers, yes. But as a means to charging for the service, probably not.
One side effect of the Sky Europe creation is that the new Sky will be a lot more endebted so initially may be unlikely to push the boat out so much on rights deals.
I am not convinced BT will continue giving it for free. This season yes, future...who knows

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
BT Sports are in it for the long run Chad and they have extremely big pockets so money will be no object to them and that's why l think they will win more PL rights then before.
I suspect your views are influenced by you getting it for free, wishful thinking having the greatest %s effect. You need to remember Den, despite what you may hope, neither Virgin or BT are benevolent organisations
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 09:01   #4764
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
I am not convinced BT will continue giving it for free. This season yes, future...who knows

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

I suspect your views are influenced by you getting it for free, wishful thinking having the greatest %s effect. You need to remember Den, despite what you may hope, neither Virgin or BT are benevolent organisations
My views are unbiased unlike some others Colin so don't need to explain to me that we could be asked to pay more in a years time and l like many others will weigh my options up if it comes to that scenario Sir.
Old 26-07-2014, 09:35   #4765
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
My views are unbiased unlike some others Colin so don't need to explain to me that we could be asked to pay more in a years time and l like many others will weigh my options up if it comes to that scenario Sir.
swallow your words...ok
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 11:21   #4766
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

BT will no doubt be doing their sums working out whether they will make more profit with the current arrangements, giving free BT Sports to subscribers of their broadband and selling BT Sports wholesale to Virgin media,or charging a subscription fee as they currently do to Sky. As already pointed out they are in it to make a profit and are not a charity organisation.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 11:44   #4767
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Next year will be very interesting for BT Sport as the bidding is expected to get underway for the premier league rights for the 2016 / 2017 to 2018 / 2019 seasons. Eurosport owner Discovery is rumored to be considering a bid as well
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 11:59   #4768
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Next year will be very interesting for BT Sport as the bidding is expected to get underway for the premier league rights for the 2016 / 2017 to 2018 / 2019 seasons. Eurosport owner Discovery is rumored to be considering a bid as well
It will be very interesting to see if a 3rd bidder enters the race for rights.

I think SKY are planning to bid big and are already preparing their war-chest. SKY will still have the money they planned to spend on Champions League rights plus I'm sure the recent carriage deals with Virgin Media and Talk Talk are also about raising revenue. Who knows maybe SKY will also use part of the funds raised from selling their stake in ITV.

The truth of the matter is who knows what will happen. I've seen a lot of speculation over the past 48 hours that moving forward SKY plan to bid for sports rights on a continental basis.
Old 26-07-2014, 12:09   #4769
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

opening up the bidding process for sports , in particular football, and reducing Sky Sports' monopoly was supposed to benefit the viewers and fans but it has had exactly the opposite effect.

the more players in the market the more subscriptions there are to pay. Now we have Sky Sports , BT Sports and Premier Sports and if Eurosport paid £££ for some rights who's to say that wouldnt be subscription based as well. we are nearing the point when no-one will be able to afford to watch all the EPL and Champions League. The only winners are the tournament organisers, the clubs and in turn the players who's ridiculous wages continue to go up and up.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 12:13   #4770
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan247 View Post
opening up the bidding process for sports , in particular football, and reducing Sky Sports' monopoly was supposed to benefit the viewers and fans but it has had exactly the opposite effect.

the more players in the market the more subscriptions there are to pay. Now we have Sky Sports , BT Sports and Premier Sports and if Eurosport paid £££ for some rights who's to say that wouldnt be subscription based as well. we are nearing the point when no-one will be able to afford to watch all the EPL and Champions League. The only winners are the tournament organisers, the clubs and in turn the players who's ridiculous wages continue to go up and up.