Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PlayStation 3 'hacked' by hardware crackers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PlayStation 3 'hacked' by hardware crackers

Old 03-09-2010, 15:24   #16
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: PlayStation 3 'hacked' by hardware crackers

It's to late for them to do anything really now. Theres so many clones already being made and now the code is out it won't be long before they are in peoples hands. All Sony are doing is trying to buy more time so they can work a way to block it with a firmware update probably.

They'll want to send a forced update before people start using it and can block the firmware updates. That's if its even possible for them because if its hardware based then they are going to have a hell of a job.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2010, 08:00   #17
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Sony have released a firmware update v3.42 no doubt to try and stop the hack.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...now-available/

Now we'll have a weekly firmware update like they did on the PSP
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 14:01   #18
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

From whats I've read it does patch the exploit. I don't think we'll be seeing updates every week though. It all depends on if it can be cracked again now.

They may have just removed the USB search before the console boots. If thats the case then the exploit is useless and another way in will have to be found. That being said once the doors are open its usually hard to fully close them again.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:54   #19
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

The PS3 has been fully cracked by George Hotz with help from some others:

Quote:
"The complete console is compromised - there is no recovery from this,"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12116051
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 18:52   #20
Zing

I see there are tuts on modifying updates upto 3.50 that allow homebrew and not piracy in the wild already
Old 14-01-2011, 16:02   #21
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Anybody tried the hack? I like the idea of backing up my games to the harddrive if anything
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 09:41   #22
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone and 50Mb BB , Tivo \m/
Bluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the rough

You cant do anything yet with the cfw 3.55 , i had it running on my ps3 , the odd snes ,nes and megadrive emulator kind of works but thats about it
Bluffdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 16:00   #23
Hiroki
Inactive

Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one

Hmm i'd use it for that but I wonder if that opens you up to being banned from psn if they found out you'd been playing snes games?
Old 18-01-2011, 13:45   #24
Zing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffdemon View Post
You cant do anything yet with the cfw 3.55 , i had it running on my ps3 , the odd snes ,nes and megadrive emulator kind of works but thats about it
You could on the 16th and you can do even more now

Almost as soon as Geohot released his jailbreak there were tools to sign your own EBOOT files forcing the system to think its a game from PSN
Yesterday 17th tools were released ( but risk of brick) that supports back up managers

The PS3 is owned 90% the last 10% is getting a safe lv2 hack working

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post
Hmm i'd use it for that but I wonder if that opens you up to being banned from psn if they found out you'd been playing snes games?
that inevitable

I got a Fatty with a red screen of death I am sending for repair tomorrow. Fortunatly it does not have a 256 meg nand so it should be ok. I am going to fully jailbreak this one and keep my slim for PSN
Old 18-01-2011, 15:07   #25
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Bluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the rough

I would wait for a stable release but i think talking about this on this forum is a no no so i wont say anymore !
Old 18-01-2011, 15:33   #26
Zing

Well its not been confirmed if modifying the console is illegal Geohot is currently in court reguarding the leak of the Key but there is no ruling
Old 18-01-2011, 16:09   #27
Bluffdemon
Inactive

well i know i wouldnt touch the latest cfw as its bricking more ps3 than ones that are working with cfw so deffo a no no for me !
Old 18-01-2011, 16:46   #28
Zing

well there are way more success stories than disaster stories where I have read. Most that are bricking are Fats with a 256 nand as I said
Old 18-01-2011, 21:07   #29
Hiroki
Inactive

Is there any truth in the rumour that you can loose blu-ray playback if you jb the phat models?
Old 18-01-2011, 21:20   #30
Zing

Possibly I know there has been loss with downgrading but there is a way around it. Anyway Waninkoko is working on another release so fingers crossed