Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CF: Clickers Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CF: Clickers Corner

Old 09-09-2009, 14:01   #106
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

I'm using a Ricoh R10 but it's a bit more than you want to pay. The Olympus you linked to is about par for the course although I prefer the Fujifilm FinePix J100 (10MP, 5x Optical)
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2009, 14:41   #107
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Thanks DW. When you say you 'prefer' is that after using one or by what you see/read?
I'm almost tempted with this Olympus now after reading a few reviews but I could easily be swayed at this stage.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 15:30   #108
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
...but I'd rather spend a bit more and have less MP...
A little while back I got Mrs A an end-of-line Canon A95. It's a bit fat compared with all the modern compacts but at least it takes AA batteries rather than a proprietary L-ion. And it only has 5 Megapixels on a relatively large sensor - excellent for low light. You could probably find a mint example fairly cheap on Fleabay.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 15:42   #109
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thanks DW. When you say you 'prefer' is that after using one or by what you see/read?
I'm almost tempted with this Olympus now after reading a few reviews but I could easily be swayed at this stage.
I have a friend who has one, I've had a quick play with it and it handles OK. I had a Fuji S5700 bridge camera which was excellent quality.
Old 09-09-2009, 15:50   #110
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Thanks lads. Altis, I'm particularly after a thin, light model. I've usually enough to carry about so I don't want to add to that. I think the best thing is for me to go and have a touchy-feel in the shops. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2009, 20:27   #111
Blackened
Inactive

The touchy-feel led to a Nikon Coolpix S220.
I've since been onto the lad that sold it to me and have arranged for a refund - I picked it up for £119. Easily the most compact (smaller than my mobile) and the best looking cam I saw from many stores today, but falls very short in image quality. The images look about the same if not noisier than those from my Nokia N95 and that's really not good enough. I could never settle for convenience over quality where my pics are concerned. Back to the drawing board! I thought perhaps I'd just been spoiled with my EOS 400D but no. Getting these images into CS4 makes them look like VGA webcam grabs - very disappointing.

I think I'm going to need to compromise here and go for a bigger unit if I want anything near a nice 'snap' that doesn't require 10 mins of post-pro.
Old 09-09-2009, 20:36   #112
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Trusted Review have good tests, here's a link to their best compacts under £150 with a score of 8/10 or better. http://bit.ly/GcyEi
Old 09-09-2009, 20:49   #113
Blackened
Inactive

Thank you again DW. Bizarrely, I was just looking at the EXIF of an utterly superb HQ pic of me & a friend taken by someone I don't really know. He sent me the pic and it's from a Casio EX model. That's the top listed there.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:11   #114
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Compacts are always a tricky choice as they tend to be used where speed of set up is needed and often they just cannot keep track of the subject well enough.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 16:03   #115
Blackened
Inactive

What does anyone think of this shot from the Nikon Coolpix S220?
This is untouched, save for a street sign blur. Exif data is intact. I think it's terrible quality but would like to hear from anyone who's more familiar with compact shots. The shot was taken at ISO 80.

File size is 4.3MB

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7508/dscn0060b.jpg
Old 10-09-2009, 17:54   #116
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
SNIP!
I think it's terrible quality but would like to hear from anyone who's more familiar with compact shots.

I would agree it is quite bad, not being quite up on photography as I would like I can only make comment on what I see.
No focus (I cant really see where the focal point is)
Fringing around the edges of trees & buildings against the sky (my fuji 5800 suffers from this and post processing can get rid of the majority of fringing)
It just looks overall noisy and some of the colours seem over saturated (might be my screen tho)

You should try comparisons of ISO's they might give a better "look" to the picture. 200 would be a safe middle of the road bet.

Should be ok for small prints.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 18:09   #117
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Here's a link to a similar (full size original) type shot with my old Ricoh RR30 a 3.2 Megapixel camera, it looks similar to me, not as much fringing though.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...10073/sizes/o/
Old 10-09-2009, 18:17   #118
Blackened
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
It just looks overall noisy and some of the colours seem over saturated (might be my screen tho)
You should try comparisons of ISO's they might give a better "look" to the picture. 200 would be a safe middle of the road bet.
No, it's not just your screen mate. Not sure a higher ISO would improve things. It'd be worse if anything. I've been testing on all settings in any case and they're all pretty much the same, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
Here's a link to a similar (full size original) type shot with my old Ricoh RR30 a 3.2 Megapixel camera, it looks similar to me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...10073/sizes/o/
Well. That IS very similar.
I think I can safely say this camera lovely though it is, just doesn't perform.
Thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2009, 18:53   #119
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

I inclined to agree that that shot shows very poor image quality, Blackened.

For comparison, here's some test shots with my Fujifilm S9500 (far from compact I know):
http://warringtonbears.org.uk/S9500/

Unfortunately, due to some misleading information on DPreview, I ended up taking them at F8 and using contrast set to hard and saturation set to high. Not the best settings in the circumstances.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 20:15   #120
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Here's one from my new Ricoh R10 compact, 10 Megapixel 10x optical (Original Image Size).
200 ISO, 1/104 sec, f5.1, 24mm:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltawh...98138/sizes/o/