Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 26-07-2014, 13:40   #4771
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan247 View Post
opening up the bidding process for sports , in particular football, and reducing Sky Sports' monopoly was supposed to benefit the viewers and fans but it has had exactly the opposite effect.

the more players in the market the more subscriptions there are to pay. Now we have Sky Sports , BT Sports and Premier Sports and if Eurosport paid £££ for some rights who's to say that wouldnt be subscription based as well. we are nearing the point when no-one will be able to afford to watch all the EPL and Champions League. The only winners are the tournament organisers, the clubs and in turn the players who's ridiculous wages continue to go up and up.
Totally agree with all above
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2014, 09:30   #4772
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

nice big ad for the season ticket in my paper this morning

mrs pengedragon is proving a tough nut to crack but i will get this soon
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 09:58   #4773
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

A bit of bribery never goes amiss PD.
Old 27-07-2014, 10:10   #4774
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
nice big ad for the season ticket in my paper this morning

mrs pengedragon is proving a tough nut to crack but i will get this soon
It's a great saving pengedragon, I got mine last week. As den says, if you treat yourself to that, I'm sure your good lady could have a treat too!
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 10:30   #4775
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
It's a great saving pengedragon, I got mine last week. As den says, if you treat yourself to that, I'm sure your good lady could have a treat too!
I used the virgin offer to discuss a compromise with sky, I will get a 20% discount on my whole sky package. There are positives everywhere
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 11:04   #4776
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
It will be very interesting to see if a 3rd bidder enters the race for rights.

I think SKY are planning to bid big and are already preparing their war-chest. SKY will still have the money they planned to spend on Champions League rights plus I'm sure the recent carriage deals with Virgin Media and Talk Talk are also about raising revenue. Who knows maybe SKY will also use part of the funds raised from selling their stake in ITV.

The truth of the matter is who knows what will happen. I've seen a lot of speculation over the past 48 hours that moving forward SKY plan to bid for sports rights on a continental basis.
As we saw with the last Premiership rights bidding, the only companies that can justify the highest bids are those from platform owners. ESPN was blown out of the water by BT as it is not a platform operator so I can't see Discovery/EuroSport winning any Premiership rights either.
Sky can bid on a continent basis but it's up to the rights owners how they sell them. Having the same rights in three countries does open up some savings in covering the events and most TV rights revenue for a sport is raised in its home territory and that's where the key competition for rights will be.
In terms of BSkyB's war chest, it's been spent on the Italian and German acquisitions and the company's debt has substantially increased despite the ITV stake proceeds. So it will probably bid sensibly on the Premiership.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 11:06   #4777
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
I used the virgin offer to discuss a compromise with sky, I will get a 20% discount on my whole sky package. There are positives everywhere
I did exactly the same , I got an excellent discount and now have Sky Sports in HD back.

Thanks VM and BT Sport
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 11:19   #4778
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I did exactly the same , I got an excellent discount and now have Sky Sports in HD back.

Thanks VM and BT Sport
Its a bit like my parents who had Sky for many many years and when Virgin offered then a half price deal with BT Sports and fibre optic broadband included they phoned up Sky to see if they could match that offer but sadly Sky refused and now they are getting Virgin installed in a weeks time on a far better deal.
Old 27-07-2014, 11:46   #4779
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

VM's sky sports season ticket is a good idea and a step in the right direction to try and cap the expense. But i wish it could be extended to include HD and maybe premier sports and box nation etc to be a truly comprehensive sports 'season ticket' for those who want it.

Retail it at say £200-£250 a year. That's still a fair wedge but offers a very attractive saving for punters. i think that would increase subscriptions enough to increase revenue.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 12:33   #4780
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Some really good deals on-line at the moment with Virgin Media. 100.00 credit to your account on their bundles if you order on-line by the 30th July. Plus, for example, if you take a bundle like Big Kahuna the first 6 months are only 25.00 plus line rental meaning your saving a further 120.00 in the first 6 months. Essentially you can add the SKY Sports pass for 10 months, in HD, and Virgin are covering the cost! SKY Sports and BT Sports at no extra cost.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 13:38   #4781
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan247 View Post
VM's sky sports season ticket is a good idea and a step in the right direction to try and cap the expense. But i wish it could be extended to include HD and maybe premier sports and box nation etc to be a truly comprehensive sports 'season ticket' for those who want it.

Retail it at say £200-£250 a year. That's still a fair wedge but offers a very attractive saving for punters. i think that would increase subscriptions enough to increase revenue.
Wouldn`t be a good deal for me mate as I have no interest in the sports on offer from Premier Sports and Boxnation. I accept it would be for some of course.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 15:17   #4782
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Wouldn`t be a good deal for me mate as I have no interest in the sports on offer from Premier Sports and Boxnation. I accept it would be for some of course.
aye i dont see much of value on premier sports myself. i think i watched about an hour of it during the 3 months we had free
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 10:49   #4783
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Premier Sports domestic rugby league coverage was quite awful.. would not pay a penny for the channel!
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 16:22   #4784
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Manchester United legend Paul Scholes signs for BT Sport

Manchester United and England legend signs four-year deal to become a pundit for BT Sport.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/fo...11363923048663
He's brutal but its needed.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 16:41   #4785
denphone
Still alive and fighting

l suppose that makes him a expert then.