Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL TV Drive FAQ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL TV Drive FAQ

Old 18-03-2007, 00:01   #31
michaelH
Inactive

michaelH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NTL TV Drive FAQ

Is it possible to set the optical output of the V+ so that it always outputs in stereo (is that pcm stereo?) even for HD 5.1 recordings? I currently use an old Meridian 518 digital processor to relay tv sound to my DSP loudspeakers. The 518 has one optical input. It can remove jitter but cannot handle 5.1 etc.
michaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2007, 00:58   #32
Babbage11
Inactive

Babbage11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mods/Thread updaters

Not sure if you are already aware, but some TV-Drives are the SA8330B which has slightly different specs????

Pat
Babbage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 11:54   #33
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelH View Post
Is it possible to set the optical output of the V+ so that it always outputs in stereo (is that pcm stereo?) even for HD 5.1 recordings?
No, it's not possible. Well, unless you have it connected to a stereo TV using HDMI, and you DON'T set "HDMI Audio Override" on.

On the upside, there's very little 5.1 content at the moment.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 20:40   #34
babyseals
Inactive

babyseals is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonderful FAQ's, however....
(and excuse me for my dumbness but its been a long day at work!)
I tend to record programmes from my cable box upstairs onto video and watch them with my friend in the kitchen. With a V+ box can I still record to video??
babyseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007, 21:39   #35
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyseals View Post
Wonderful FAQ's, however....
(and excuse me for my dumbness but its been a long day at work!)
I tend to record programmes from my cable box upstairs onto video and watch them with my friend in the kitchen. With a V+ box can I still record to video??
The V+ can do everything that your current box can do.

In addition, if you record a programme onto the V+'s hard drive, you can later copy it on to a video using the V+'s special output function. This means you won't get any menus or graphics over the top or anything, and can watch other TV channels while the copying is taking place. It's good!
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 19:55   #36
Spudz
Inactive

Spudz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: V+ Faq

Hi Chris ..great article ..very informative.
I've got a problem which is driving me nuts though.The volume control on my V+ box does not appear to operate through the HDMI lead.I've had two leads sent to me from Virgin Media and spoken with operators who have tried to lead me through the maze to getting a volume control that works.If I switch to viewing via scart the V+ box volume adjusts the tv with the volume scale on screen.When I switch to HDMI however it shows on screen as if its adjusting but doesnt actually do so.This is also my second V + box as the first one had the same problem.Any suggestions?I've already tried switching the tv menu over to HDMI volume but that doesnt work either.I would not be surprised if its me The telly is a 37" Sharp HD ready set which shows the HD image on both 720 and 1080 settings.I've tried the usual route through adjusting image/volume controls on the V+ box to no avail.

Spudz
Spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 12:16   #37
trilly
Inactive

Services: NTL TV / Phone / BB 4MB BT Phone
trilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Howell View Post
This thread is for discussion of the TV Drive FAQ Article

Please note that the FAQ Article was originally written by Chris, and is now updated by Spiderplant and the CF Team as new infomation comes to light.
Just wanted to thank you guys very much and how helpful this was. Had a Virgin tech guy booked in to swap out the V+ box but was sure it was software related. So reformatted the disk but still big problem, the problem, no menus or contol of the V+ box, the solution put the scart socket in the TV socket rather than the VCR socket Technician cancelled, thanks to this post for pointing in the right direction.
trilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 15:49   #38
ismangil
Inactive

ismangil is an unknown quantity at this point

While waiting for V+ install on 5th Dec, I am now trying to figure out how to connect it to the rest of my system.

The main issue at the moment is I have two displays:
  1. Normal CRT TV with SCART for kid-friendly day-to-day watching
  2. Projector with HDMI or component for serious watching

Both are connected to Onkyo receiver, the TV with S-Video, the projector through component.

With my current plain digital cable box, what I did was connect it via SCART-to-composite to Onkyo. The composite is then upconverted to S-Video (for TV) or component (for projector). This works well enough. I even got the second SCART connected directly to TV as well, so we can watch TV without turning on the Onkyo receiver.

Reading the FAQ, I am dismayed to see I have to choose between SCART or component! If I choose component out then effectively I can't use my TV, if I choose SCART then I can't have HD...

Plese help me with my dilemma!
ismangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:00   #39
nothing to lose
cf.member

nothing to lose is an unknown quantity at this point

A question that frequently pops up is:
Can I record the PPV Events on the V+ stb?
Is it possible?
Could this question be added to the V+ faq.
Thanks.
nothing to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 16:21   #40
higgsfield
Inactive

higgsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks for this great and informative thread.

I have two problems with this info.

1. Re this:-
Quote:
Q: I'm using the HDMI (or Component) connection. Can I also use the RF or SCART to send the video to another TV or my VCR?
A: No, when you enable one the others get disabled. Originally the output on the VCR SCART was enabled at the same time as the HD outputs, but the picture quality was rubbish so it's been temporarily disabled until the picture quality problems are resolved. Also, the RF output is only enabled when the SCART is enabled. The one exception is you can also archive a recorded programme from the V+ to your DVD/HD recorder.
The installer said this would not work - i.e. that once the HDMI was enabled the SCART was dead for everything - including archiving. I have found hs advice to be correct (unfortunately).

2. re this:-
Quote:
Q: What does the "HDMI Audio Override" setting do?
A: When you connect your TV using HDMI, the TV tells the V+ what features it supports. If the TV says it can't support Dolby 5.1 audio (and most can't), the V+ will output stereo instead. However, you might actually be listening through an amp connected to the optical port, so you still want the V+ to output 5.1. In this case, set the Override to On. You won't get any sound out of your TV, but you'll get 5.1 through your amp whenever it is broadcast. (5.1 is broadcast on BBC HD, and the HD movies)
According to Virgin Media they do not offer surround sound on cable - even with this box. My V+ is connected to a Home Cinema amp (HDMI) and I cannot coax 5.1 out of it. I read elsewhere that you have to use the optimcal digital connector (that the HDMI will only carry stereo) - but I am sceptical.

Has anyone got surround sound out of a V+ box? I'd love to know how!
higgsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:43   #41
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Not sure about point 1.

Point 2 though, I use the optical connection output. For most TV channels my amp detects this as Pro Logic II. With the BBCHD Channel it does detect it as a Digital 5.1 surround sound.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:48   #42
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgsfield View Post
The installer said this would not work - i.e. that once the HDMI was enabled the SCART was dead for everything - including archiving. I have found hs advice to be correct (unfortunately).
AFAIK, the VCR scart is enabled only when the box is set to archive something. Be aware, however, that the VCR scart is composite only, and a lot of DVD recorders don't like Composite input.

The TV scart and RF are both switched off though.

Quote:
According to Virgin Media they do not offer surround sound on cable - even with this box. My V+ is connected to a Home Cinema amp (HDMI) and I cannot coax 5.1 out of it. I read elsewhere that you have to use the optimcal digital connector (that the HDMI will only carry stereo) - but I am sceptical.

Has anyone got surround sound out of a V+ box? I'd love to know how!
I was under the impression that BBC HD is in 5.1 (and, indeed, have seen reports on this forum of people watching it in 5.1 surround sound, and a lot of the on-demand stuff (in TV choice and Films anyway) was. The standard definition (and by definition, the catchup TV section of On Demand) is not in 5.1 surround, although a lot of films and TV programmes carry Dolby Prologic encoding for surround, and this can be output via any stereo output (unlike 5.1 which requires a digital output).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:26   #43
higgsfield
Inactive

higgsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about themhiggsfield has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Point 2 though, I use the optical connection output. For most TV channels my amp detects this as Pro Logic II. With the BBCHD Channel it does detect it as a Digital 5.1 surround sound.
That's a bind. I don't think my amp (Onkyo TX-SR705) will accept sound on the optical if the input is set to HDMI, it expects it all on the HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
AFAIK, the VCR scart is enabled only when the box is set to archive something. Be aware, however, that the VCR scart is composite only, and a lot of DVD recorders don't like Composite input.
Thanks Stuart.

Please note, I posted this a couple of days ago in response to the FAQ - whilst it was queued with the mods I posted this same questions elsewhere on the forum.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...-recorder.html

Your suggestion seems very plausible, I wonder if the problem is the composite video.... can't think of anything else.
Old 07-02-2008, 21:37   #44
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The V+ will output 5.1 on the HDMI unless the TV tells it not to. If you only get stereo on BBC HD, try turning the HDMI Audio Override on.

I've never heard of a DVDR that doesn't "like" composite. As a test, run a SCART lead from the VCR socket on the V+ to your TV, then see whether the TV displays a picture when you try to archive something.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 19:01   #45
higgsfield
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The V+ will output 5.1 on the HDMI unless the TV tells it not to. If you only get stereo on BBC HD, try turning the HDMI Audio Override on.
Hmmm. Not sure about this. If you try to change the setting the box says that you should only do this if you have an optical connector. And, as I said, I can't mix'match HDMI with another connector for sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I've never heard of a DVDR that doesn't "like" composite. As a test, run a SCART lead from the VCR socket on the V+ to your TV, then see whether the TV displays a picture when you try to archive something.
Yep - I will try this....