Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL TV Drive FAQ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is there only one type of V+ Box?

Old 25-03-2010, 23:08   #1
ichiban
Inactive

ichiban is on a distinguished roadichiban is on a distinguished road
Is there only one type of V+ Box?

I ordered a V+ HD box last week for a one off payment of £99. A couple of days ago I received a letter with the confirmation but its says "V+ Box" does this mean its not the HD Box?

ichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2010, 23:10   #2
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is there only type of V+ Box?

V+ is the HD PVR box. So it is the HD box yes.

Edit: Oh an if your lucky it'll be the newer Samsung model
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 23:18   #3
ichiban
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd11 View Post
V+ is the HD PVR box. So it is the HD box yes.

Edit: Oh an if your lucky it'll be the newer Samsung model
thanks for the reply I got a bit worried there because the engineer is coming on Monday. Fingers crossed for a Samsung.
Old 26-03-2010, 07:42   #4
Console_Crazy
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL TV L BB M Phone Inc Sports and Movies
Console_Crazy is an unknown quantity at this point

We had in installed back in Jan and we had the new samsung! 99% sure thats what you will get my friend
Console_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 09:51   #5
tweedie
Inactive

tweedie has a spectacular aura about themtweedie has a spectacular aura about themtweedie has a spectacular aura about themtweedie has a spectacular aura about them

what is TV3D/SKY?
tweedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 22:25   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console_Crazy View Post
We had in installed back in Jan and we had the new samsung! 99% sure thats what you will get my friend
more like 50%
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 15:27   #7
roddydogs
Inactive

roddydogs is on a distinguished roadroddydogs is on a distinguished road

Dont think the Samsung Box solve all problems, you'll still get the usual "Cycling round", re-boots, missed programmes, perhaps not quite as bad, but their still there.
roddydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 16:25   #8
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I have the old V+ box. Rarely needes a reboot (about every 3 months?); missed recorded programmes are very rare indeed; not sure what roddydogs means by "cycling round" so can't comment on that one, but I cannot think of anything it does that could be called that.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 16:35   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddydogs View Post
Dont think the Samsung Box solve all problems, you'll still get the usual "Cycling round", re-boots, missed programmes, perhaps not quite as bad, but their still there.
I have had the Samsung for over a year and not had a single one of those issues.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58   #10
ichiban
Inactive

Re: Is there only one type of V+ Box?

Well I got a Samsung but it took the engineer almost an hour to get things working, basically the V+ and HD channels were not working so he spent 10mins on hold to get through to the first dispatch and still it wasn't working, he then called again which took 20mins to get through and turns out the 1st person didn't do it correctly and said it would take a few mins to activate, after waiting 5 mins the V+ and HD still said "No" so he called his supervisor to sort it out but in the end it just needed a reboot.

I also have both have the older and new remote, we had trouble getting the volume to work on the Tv with the new remote so he went in the van to get the older remote and that worked but he said I can keep the other one as well, which I did finally get it to work. I think I prefer the older one because the buttons are better placed.

Although my 42" Samsung is only 1024x768, the V+ box is set to 1080 because it looks slightly better than 720p.

Does the Hard Disk spin down when not used or when the Box is in standby?
Old 01-04-2010, 17:32   #11
andrewlutonuk
cf.addict

Services: XL TV.Sky Sports/Movies, V6, VM 200MB.VM Fixed Phone
andrewlutonuk will become famous soon enoughandrewlutonuk will become famous soon enoughandrewlutonuk will become famous soon enough

ichiban

I have my V+ Samsung in my bedroom

At night I put it on Standby. After about 5 minutes in Standby everything goes quiet. No fan noisehard drive spinning. If/when it updates overnight the fan/hard drive noise starts again to do the updates etc. When finished it goes all quiet again.

andrewlutonuk
andrewlutonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 18:40   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The disc will stop in standby, and also 3 hours after you last press a button
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:49   #13
ichiban
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlutonuk View Post
ichiban

I have my V+ Samsung in my bedroom

At night I put it on Standby. After about 5 minutes in Standby everything goes quiet. No fan noisehard drive spinning. If/when it updates overnight the fan/hard drive noise starts again to do the updates etc. When finished it goes all quiet again.

andrewlutonuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The disc will stop in standby, and also 3 hours after you last press a button
Thanks, good to know. I'm going to do my first V+ recording (the Liverpool & Fulham game )