Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

Old 21-08-2015, 02:05   #2026
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

OMG Backups. I've only just finished clients work and need to run system backups before going away.

---------- Post added at 01:12 ---------- Previous post was at 00:57 ----------

I Don't why but the PC has decided that all the files need backing up even though I set to freshen.

Looks like Brian Ferry's going to playing for a while longer. Can't be bad. Avalon

---------- Post added at 01:38 ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 ----------

I'm just so hyper I can't shut down. I'm going to be (that s word we can't use) Tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 02:05 ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 ----------

Oh no I've put Scooter on. Hyper or what?
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2015, 21:07   #2027
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I picked my sister up from the airport, and got robbed at the car park.

£2.50 for 10 poxy minutes, and £2.50 per minute there after, and if you return within 30 minutes £20.
Old 21-08-2015, 21:12   #2028
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

......being tired and grumpy. In fact I've been asleep much of the day and am still tired. My creatinine has also risen 100 points in he last week. Pah!!!!!
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 23:53   #2029
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Must have been a scare for you Marc, Take care , Nash
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 05:50   #2030
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
......being tired and grumpy. In fact I've been asleep much of the day and am still tired. My creatinine has also risen 100 points in he last week. Pah!!!!!
My thoughts are with you so try to keep your spirits up dilli.
Old 24-08-2015, 16:55   #2031
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to many people's problems on here, this might seem small, but it has made me apoplectic with rage.

My aunt (who is an older lady), has sky multiroom, and asked me to come over as the second box (an ancient Amstrad unit) had stopped working.

What I found when I got there was positively shocking. It seems that when the multiroom was installed, the sky "installer" decided rather than running a cable from the dish to the upstairs bedroom (it's a small house and the dish isn't overly far from the bedroom window) he decided to run a cable in to my aunt's living room, then splice in to some 30+ year old, thin as wet string, unshielded coax cable that was left over from the previous aerial installation.

He's even used bloody aerial plugs rather than F connectors to bodge the cable together, and he's then stuck a short length of proper shielded coax on the other end to try and hide what he's done.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:15   #2032
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Compared to many people's problems on here, this might seem small, but it has made me apoplectic with rage.

My aunt (who is an older lady), has sky multiroom, and asked me to come over as the second box (an ancient Amstrad unit) had stopped working.

What I found when I got there was positively shocking. It seems that when the multiroom was installed, the sky "installer" decided rather than running a cable from the dish to the upstairs bedroom (it's a small house and the dish isn't overly far from the bedroom window) he decided to run a cable in to my aunt's living room, then splice in to some 30+ year old, thin as wet string, unshielded coax cable that was left over from the previous aerial installation.

He's even used bloody aerial plugs rather than F connectors to bodge the cable together, and he's then stuck a short length of proper shielded coax on the other end to try and hide what he's done.
That's the trouble with some installation companies. They give their installers a list of jobs as long as your arm, so a lot of installers bodge something that works rather than do a good job.

They don't even care if it works reliably, as if it's not, that's someone else's problem.

It's not right though, from a consumer or commercial point of view. How much money are Sky, Virgin, BT and all the other providers wasting because they are having to send technicians out to fix installs that were bodged in a hurry?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 09:38   #2033
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

I will say that in my experience VM are better regarding the technical standard of installs, as cable systems are interconnected and interference from one dodgy install could theoretically impact quite a few customers.

The basic problem is the piecework system the "installer" teams work under. As you mention the installers are required to do x amount of installs per day, and the system encourages corner cutting and rushing. I've heard of others being told by openreach installers that they could only have the master socket installed in a hallway (basically because the bloke didn't want the extra work of running some cable to where the customer actually wanted it)
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 10:45   #2034
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Neighbours well one in partially.
Old 25-08-2015, 11:59   #2035
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Appalling bad weather. Bookies offering evens on the wettest August on record.
Old 25-08-2015, 12:07   #2036
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Happens every time I go and do a big shop when it rains..Everyone parks in the spaces outside my house and I have to lug everything half way up the road..That's it.The witchdoctor beads are coming out..

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Appalling bad weather. Bookies offering evens on the wettest August on record.
Hope not. I'm supposed to be on a day trip to the Isle of Wight.
Old 25-08-2015, 12:34   #2037
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well if its on Fri/Sat or Sunday Maggy you might be lucky with the weather.
Old 25-08-2015, 15:22   #2038
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Hope you get good weather Maggie. Dreadful work from whoever installed your aunts installation . rhyds
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 20:30   #2039
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Tomorrow I've got four separate appointments at Addenbrooks - I wonder how well it'll all work out. I must admit it's nice to get it all in one day for a change
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 20:32   #2040
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Christ that's is a fair amount to handle dilli so l hope all goes well..