Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Mobile & HTC Desire

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Mobile & HTC Desire

Old 03-06-2010, 21:09   #1
kai_mitsurugi
Inactive

Services: TV, Phone and 10mb broadband
kai_mitsurugi is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Mobile & HTC Desire

Hi. Haven't posted here in ages.

I read somewhere that Virgin Mobile would be offering the HTC Desire on contract. Not sure of exact terms of the contract but existing Virgin customers could have it from £30 a month for 18 months or £25 a month for 2 years.
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...eal-yet-680099

It's a phone I really want but I have a few questions about Virgin Mobile
  • How "Unlimited" is their Internet and what about Unlimited Push E-mail?
  • Is signal good? I know they use T-Mobile's stuff
  • What is customer support like.
I have more but that's all I can think of now.

Thanks in advance

Martyn
kai_mitsurugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2010, 21:37   #2
Acidphire21
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media M Telephone, L Broadband, XL TV Sky Sports Package + 2nd Box
Acidphire21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Mobile & HTC Desire

ok i got this last week its an awesome phone

ya get 1.02GB data per month under the £25 a month for 2 years deal (Fair useage policy) and Ive barely uses 0.01 of it in a week!

signal seems fine but never had a problem on T- Mobile

Customer support seemed fine but i only phoned up to ask something about the data

but generally a quality phone got for it
Acidphire21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 21:48   #3
kai_mitsurugi
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidphire21 View Post
ok i got this last week its an awesome phone

ya get 1.02GB data per month under the £25 a month for 2 years deal (Fair useage policy) and Ive barely uses 0.01 of it in a week!

signal seems fine but never had a problem on T- Mobile

Customer support seemed fine but i only phoned up to ask something about the data

but generally a quality phone got for it
Thanks

How do you keep track of how much Internet you are using?
Old 04-06-2010, 00:52   #4
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

If the data is enough really depends on what you're doing.
If you're streaming from last.fm or spotify all the time you're going to eat through it. If you're just doing normal usage, checking email, browsing the web a bit, it'll be fine.

I'd say I'm pretty heavy on usage in terms of browsing (but I don't stream audio or video much) and I usually do about 15mb a day just with web browsing on the bus, and apps like facebook pulling data down, which is about 500mb a month.

It's really easy to track usage, there's a free app called netcounter which will log your data usage by interface, so wifi is kept seperate to mobile, and you can set alerts on usage levels, so if you're close to your limit it'll alert you.

Signal is fine, excellent in some areas, marginal in others, but about the same as the other networks.

Customer support has been great for me so far, accidently changed my tariff online because there's no confirmation just a click and it's changed and they changed it back immediately for me no hassle.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43   #5
Acidphire21
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media M Telephone, L Broadband, XL TV Sky Sports Package + 2nd Box

either that or log onto the virginmobile page and it shows you how much data remaining. i tend to connect to mates wi-fi networks if im going to be doing something hefty with the phone. and i love the fact i can have a switch on the front to turn off mobile net and then turn on wi-fi so i know im not accidentily using the data when i dont want to.
Old 04-06-2010, 20:57   #6
kai_mitsurugi
Inactive

Awesome. Thanks guys!
Old 04-06-2010, 22:46   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidphire21 View Post
either that or log onto the virginmobile page and it shows you how much data remaining.
You can now get the same info (data/mins/texts) remaining on the mobile homepage on your handset
Old 05-06-2010, 07:38   #8
Acidphire21
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You can now get the same info (data/mins/texts) remaining on the mobile homepage on your handset
yea i spotted that but i try to avoid using my data as i have mainly used it for Sat nav) and just connect to wi-fi when i want a browse. and when connected to wi-fi it wont show that info
Old 05-06-2010, 10:03   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

The HTC HD2 and the HTC Desire are both out of stock on the Virgin Mobile website at the moment.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/home.do
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:04   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Desire should be back in stock from Monday (unless they've sold out again already!)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:06   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Desire should be back in stock from Monday (unless they've sold out again already!)
When they were last in stock they starting limiting them to Virginmedia customers only as the uptake on the Desire was so great, I wonder if they will do so again.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

I think last time there were also some issues with HTC being able to fulfill orders in time - as all the other networks all seems to run out around the same time
Old 05-06-2010, 10:27   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I think last time there were also some issues with HTC being able to fulfill orders in time - as all the other networks all seems to run out around the same time
They are a very popular phone and quite a few of my colleagues have got either the HD2 or the Desire, not me though my contract has 9 months to run.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:31   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

The HD2 won't be back in stock though as it's been discontinued as a handset on VM as far as I know
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
The HD2 won't be back in stock though as it's been discontinued as a handset on VM as far as I know
They were the last phones they had in stock in the HTC range, plus they were offering refurbished as new models at a reduced price and even they flew out.

At least when my contract is up the will be something new and exciting to get.