Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 15:29   #691
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Again a claim that Tivo has begun to roll out?

Cindy Rose, executive director of digital entertainment at Virgin Media, said, "After laying all the necessary groundwork to bring the exciting TiVo experience to our customers in record time, we are thrilled to have begun rolling out our next-generation entertainment platform."
It has... I have it
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2011, 15:34   #692
whizzard
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo & V+ XL TV / XL Telephone / XL 30Mb Broadband with Super Hub
whizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Again a claim that Tivo has begun to roll out?

Cindy Rose, executive director of digital entertainment at Virgin Media, said, "After laying all the necessary groundwork to bring the exciting TiVo experience to our customers in record time, we are thrilled to have begun rolling out our next-generation entertainment platform."
Written word is a wonderful thing. Whilst she mentions in the first part of the sentence the word customers, the way it's written doesn't necessarily this is whom the rollout is to. Personally as some others in the thread have said, it's better to have a box with all the kinks worked out than one with lots of bugs to bear, and I can't imagine it's going to be that much longer now that everything is starting to point to a wider rollout other than those limited numbers of VM staff who got it pre-xmas. I'm just going to have my pint of the black stuff and wait for tick to follow tock in the meantime :p
Old 06-01-2011, 15:44   #693
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
It has... I have it
I have a fantastic prostate cancer diagnostic test in my lab doesn't mean you can take it yet.

Does make me laugh how staff are now claiming a staff role out is a launch.
Old 06-01-2011, 15:51   #694
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
I have a fantastic prostate cancer diagnostic test in my lab doesn't mean you can take it yet.

And nobody can have it?

We are customers too you know!
Old 06-01-2011, 15:54   #695
ntl.wotcha
Inactive

ntl.wotcha is an unknown quantity at this point

"Now" is the new "Soon", well I never... ;-)
Old 06-01-2011, 16:49   #696
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I'm not sure if this is old news or can even be classed as marginally interesting news but I have just read this on a site I visit and thought I would post a link.

Quote:
Virgin Media selects TMS for TiVo entertainment content
http://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-m...ent-800325982/
Old 06-01-2011, 17:41   #697
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I'm not sure if this is old news or can even be classed as marginally interesting news but I have just read this on a site I visit and thought I would post a link.

http://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-m...ent-800325982/
ah yep, saw that earlier. Cheers Jo
Old 06-01-2011, 17:41   #698
ess1
Inactive

Services: sky, VMBB XXL
ess1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Had test 5 years ago. Am not allowed to say...
Old 06-01-2011, 18:16   #699
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Can you take the test if you pay for it? I suspect not..

The VM staff testing tivo do pay.

Also, VM are far from the only company to do this. Freeview "launched" their HD service at least 6 months before it was available in more than one area..
Old 06-01-2011, 18:27   #700
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

:

If the box is able to stream web content ( could VM be able to do a deal to get this applicable - the web versions of the channel E.G full web based i- player )
Old 06-01-2011, 18:54   #701
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
:

If the box is able to stream web content ( could VM be able to do a deal to get this applicable - the web versions of the channel E.G full web based i- player )

I hope so. I would think it was in VM's interest to give direct access to iplayer etc. through the tivo's modem as it would take strain off there on demand servers wouldn't it?

Old 06-01-2011, 19:32   #702
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
I hope so. I would think it was in VM's interest to give direct access to iplayer etc. through the tivo's modem as it would take strain off there on demand servers wouldn't it?
Yes that would be the best in my view is a they would be able to take link direct from the servers of E.G 4od, BBC i-player, ITV net player and others out there. To save the pressure on their OD servers.
Old 06-01-2011, 20:16   #703
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
It has... I have it
If the device is only available to staff and those staff can't talk about it publicly then the device has not launched. Heck even prices for existing customer has yet to be announced.
Old 06-01-2011, 20:51   #704
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Whoda thunk - marketeers stretching the truth........
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:26   #705
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Yes that would be the best in my view is a they would be able to take link direct from the servers of E.G 4od, BBC i-player, ITV net player and others out there. To save the pressure on their OD servers.
I can't see the likes of ITV and Channel 4 liking that. It's going to increase their bandwidth costs when VM already cache copies of the programming locally on their own od servers.
Closed Thread