Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 29-09-2015, 14:08   #361
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all
re: Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Why are VM getting users to 'sign up' for the new speeds?
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2015, 14:14   #362
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Why are VM getting users to 'sign up' for the new speeds?
Because as with the previous two changes, it's up to you whether you upgrade or not - this is due in part to the fact that some customers need kit swaps.
Old 29-09-2015, 14:19   #363
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
so why did they reduce from 300 to 200? perhaps the stress on local backhaul was more than some on here said it would be?
They didn't. Keep 'em peeled.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 14:23   #364
jcm193
cf.addict

jcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Because as with the previous two changes, it's up to you whether you upgrade or not - this is due in part to the fact that some customers need kit swaps.
Is the system not intelligent enough to know if a customers has compatible equipment and push the speed increase out automatically
jcm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 14:32   #365
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm193 View Post
Is the system not intelligent enough to know if a customers has compatible equipment and push the speed increase out automatically
Yes, it could be possible and it use to be what was done for the upgrades several years ago.

But by making it opt-in, Virgin Media also ensure that people know exactly what has changed and when. It reduces the number of calls that they would get otherwise asking if the upgrade had happened yet, or when it would happen and what are they going to get.

For the previous two changes Virgin Media did sent out quite a lot of information about it, including emails to advise each customer their upgrade was ready, so it's not like they are hiding this activity.
Old 29-09-2015, 14:34   #366
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Let me guess, 300 will be a new product with a premium price increase?
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 14:37   #367
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Igni: You, sir, are a professional ****tease. You're always at it.

Old 29-09-2015, 14:38   #368
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Does this 'opt-in' force users into a new contract?
Old 29-09-2015, 14:41   #369
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Does this 'opt-in' force users into a new contract?
Not according to VM's PR team quoted in the link posted earlier.

Quote:
Existing customers will be given the OPTION to upgrade from their current package for “free” (we’re told that users won’t need to re-contract for this). Just remember that Virgin Media’s prices, much like those of other ISPs, have recently been rising and we expect more of the same going forwards (this helps to pay for such improvements).
Old 29-09-2015, 14:58   #370
jcm193
cf.addict

jcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enoughjcm193 will become famous soon enough

I still dont think this or any other speed upgrade should be opt-in unless it changes your contract or you have to pay more to get it i think if your set up can handle it you should get it automatically, on the matter of making it opt-in to limit the amount of calls to virgin media i dont think it will make any difference.
jcm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 15:13   #371
JPAC
cf.addict

Do you have to wait until you get a VM email to 'opt-in'?
Old 29-09-2015, 15:15   #372
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

More information - and how to upgrade will be available here from October 1st.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...p/2921502#M293
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 15:15   #373
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

If it's the same as previous years, you'll be able to see when your area is ready via the Speed Upgrade site and My Virgin Media before you get an email to confirm it's ready.
Old 29-09-2015, 15:37   #374
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Lack of a upload bump on the top tier again... disapointing.

Think it might be best to downgrade to the 150/10 service when it becomes available, already have no use for 152 as is not to mention my area is still congested at peak times after it was "fixed" so I never see the full speed at peak anyway.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 15:51   #375
linwelin
cf.addict

linwelin is on a distinguished roadlinwelin is on a distinguished road

Will have to down grade then myself. Only reason i am on the top tier is for the upload speed. 150 down is more than i need, heck even 100 down is more than enough for me.
linwelin is offline   Reply With Quote