Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Old Yesterday, 19:26   #1366
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has reached the bronze age
Mad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's been going on since the end of 2015 - it started with the Sky Sports and Cinema HD channels:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/2973856

What is actually now happening is that all SA V+ HD boxes will be disconnected completely - all channels will be removed, not just HD ones.

So if you have one, or maybe two, what will they be replaced with?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 20:43   #1367
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star
spiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny starspiderplant has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
So if you have one, or maybe two, what will they be replaced with?
A TiVo (or two)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:40   #1368
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I believe that will be the case yes. No idea yet what exactly the difference will be but I'm sure that'll become clear once the change happens.
Excellent news, in effect we should have a virtual increase on the 1tb limit as we will be able to fit more recordings onto it.

Maybe this is why they never bothered with a 2tb TiVo after all.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:56   #1369
jj20x
cf.geek

jj20x is a name known to alljj20x is a name known to alljj20x is a name known to alljj20x is a name known to alljj20x is a name known to alljj20x is a name known to alljj20x is a name known to alljj20x is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Excellent news, in effect we should have a virtual increase on the 1tb limit as we will be able to fit more recordings onto it.
When they actually start using MPEG4 on the linear channels. The last scan data I received showed that it was used on a round number of video streams, that round number being zero. At present, MPEG4 only seems to be used for on-demand content. Let's see how things actually change when the SA V+ boxes are finally removed from service.

Quote:
Maybe this is why they never bothered with a 2tb TiVo after all.
Hmmm... I don't know about that. In general, given more space, people just record more to fill it and watch at their leisure.
jj20x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:06   #1370
denphone
Still alive and happy

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
When they actually start using MPEG4 on the linear channels. The last scan data I received showed that it was used on a round number of video streams, that round number being zero. At present, MPEG4 only seems to be used for on-demand content. Let's see how things actually change when the SA V+ boxes are finally removed from service.

Hmmm... I don't know about that. In general, given more space, people just record more to fill it and watch at their leisure.
Like our household.
Old Today, 09:23   #1371
The Yank
cf.addict

Services: VIP(200 BB) V+ & VHD
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

Quote:
Yes - end of this month. At some point after that, Virgin Media will move all HD channels over to MPEG4.
so the Samsung V+ box is MPEG4 and hence future proof (for now).
The Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:49   #1372
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: Virgin Media V6 and TiVo, Full House TV, VIVID 300
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes both the Samsung V+ HD and the Cisco V HD boxes are both MPEG4 compatible.
Old Today, 11:30   #1373
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
I take it in the foreseeable future VM are not getting any new channels?
i think so...

morning all. Hope you're still all handsome and lovely
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:50   #1374
OLD BOY
Experience is everything

Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
I take it in the foreseeable future VM are not getting any new channels?
There are no decent new channels on the Horizon unless VM has managed to get a new deal with Sky, as has been rumoured.

If we get anything of note, I think it will be on demand, which is almost certainly where any new UHD content will turn up.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote