Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 03-11-2016, 20:26   #946
Spaceboyo
Inactive

Spaceboyo is on a distinguished roadSpaceboyo is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think people expecting a total overhaul are going to be rather gutted. It is simply a new smaller faster STB running the same software with a few added extras like built in WiFi, a bluetooth remote and possible streaming to tablets.

It still sounds like it can't compete with Sky Q at all in terms of features. ie the WiFi boosting of all boxes and built in powerline. Soon to be enabled voice searching as well. Also its still only 1Tb which says to me 4K will be limited to On demand and Netflix/YouTube.
Stephen. I think your spot on. It looks (in terms of software just like current TiVo, albeit a hell of a lot quicker!! and I mean quick, you press on the remote five times and it's moved on 5 channels it's very quick, very responsive. Bluetooth remote good, no need to point it at box, hey you could even have the box hidden away if that's what you like.

Have yet to try the full streaming capabilities, apparently we can pause the current playback and pick up on a tablet (iPad in our case) via the TvAnywhere App.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

On a slightly off topic. Do most people have access to the new 3.0 hub? As having had the hub and V6 box installed today they seem to be designed to work together?
Spaceboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2016, 20:36   #947
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think people expecting a total overhaul are going to be rather gutted. It is simply a new smaller faster STB running the same software with a few added extras like built in WiFi, a bluetooth remote and possible streaming to tablets.

It still sounds like it can't compete with Sky Q at all in terms of features. ie the WiFi boosting of all boxes and built in powerline. Soon to be enabled voice searching as well. Also its still only 1Tb which says to me 4K will be limited to On demand and Netflix/YouTube.
Personally, that would suit me fine (we don't have TV in any commercial premises as VM discontinued this as they couldn't make any money on it due to the amount that Sky charges).

Voice searching would be very useful for the sight impaired.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 03-11-2016 at 21:02.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 21:29   #948
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal

Looks like some new customers are getting this box . as a couple of the installers got given these boxes to install . We still don't know when these will be available to upgrade to .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 23:40   #949
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Let's see: Much faster, 6 tuners, streams to tablets (for those who need that). Works for me.

Same interface as the current Tivo; not a problem for me; I'm no longer six years old and need pretty pictures! This interface will eventually be replaced by the Horizon interface, so why waste money designing a new Tivo one?

Voice search; I have that on my Amazon FTV and never use it; nice, but hardly essential.

I agree on the hard disc size, but isn't a 2tb version rumoured? The biggest problem is not moving completely to mpeg4
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 23:49   #950
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Imagine Netflix and Amazon just as lists no thanks.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 23:59   #951
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboyo View Post
Pics of the box not needed as it looks just like the link from Virgin themself

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...soon-faqs.html
Cheers
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 00:11   #952
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Imagine Netflix and Amazon just as lists no thanks.

But we're not talking about Netflix or Amazon. We're talking about a PVR interface; they are completely different scenarios. The current Tivo mix of text and graphics is perfectly adequate. Especially as it is due to be replaced by the Horizon interface, which I'm sure will be graphically very flashy.
Old 04-11-2016, 00:40   #953
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Considering pay tv providers PVR's are now putting a greater emphasis on On Demand I don't see the difference. Isn't Series links+ on Tivo blurring the lines between My Show recordings and On Demand ?

I wasn't disagreeing about changing the current Tivo interface more replying to your dislike of richer image based UI's can so many of the world's biggest pay TV platforms have got it wrong.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 00:52   #954
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I agree on the hard disc size, but isn't a 2tb version rumoured? The biggest problem is not moving completely to mpeg4
Yes, good points. Though you think VM would simplify matters and just go for 2tb all round. Does VM still have any boxes in circulation that can't offer mpeg4?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:09   #955
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Let's see: Much faster, 6 tuners, streams to tablets (for those who need that). Works for me.

Same interface as the current Tivo; not a problem for me; I'm no longer six years old and need pretty pictures! This interface will eventually be replaced by the Horizon interface, so why waste money designing a new Tivo one?

Voice search; I have that on my Amazon FTV and never use it; nice, but hardly essential.

Personally l think its a cast iron certainly that there will be a 2TB version.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:26   #956
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally l think its a cast iron certainly that there will be a 2TB version.
Whilst disappointed that the UI will be the same, the six tuners, speed and 2 TB will do it for me.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:15   #957
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Whilst disappointed that the UI will be the same, the six tuners, speed and 2 TB will do it for me.
The UI is perfectly fine as far as l am concerned and the six tuners and 2 TB will certainly be what is required in our household as there are certain times when there are clashes that even with a bit of twiddling here and there are hard to avoid.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:20   #958
kingdaveontour
Inactive

kingdaveontour is an unknown quantity at this point

http://vmhd.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/n...nmissable.html
kingdaveontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:23   #959
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Considering pay tv providers PVR's are now putting a greater emphasis on On Demand I don't see the difference. Isn't Series links+ on Tivo blurring the lines between My Show recordings and On Demand ?

I wasn't disagreeing about changing the current Tivo interface more replying to your dislike of richer image based UI's can so many of the world's biggest pay TV platforms have got it wrong.

I don't dislike them, I just think people over emphasise their importance. For video lists, yes, but, for example, the screen you get when pressing the menu button on the current Tivo, is fine in text; graphics could make it more time consuming to navigate.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:26   #960
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
As am I and VM said that their "new" tv service would be cloud based. Seems to have gone all quiet on that.... so I guess there's still details we're waiting on.
Virgin are probably holding back on a feature or two for the big bash on 30 November, don't you think? I'm hoping they will have something up their corporate sleeve. There is also the possibility that other features will be added at a later date just like activating the third tuner after the TiVo was launched.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote