Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 03-02-2012, 12:26   #211
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
They've always been in trouble, sometimes acquiring something else and moving into a new sector and disposing of what they are doing wrong can sometimes help.
From Virgin Media to to C&W Cable!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2012, 12:28   #212
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
They've always been in trouble, sometimes acquiring something else and moving into a new sector and disposing of what they are doing wrong can sometimes help.
Except they've been there done that.

Also there is no point buying a business and then having no real money to do anything with it
Old 03-02-2012, 12:32   #213
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes a large cable company like Comcast, there are many cable firms in the USA and Canada.

Possibly Cable and Wireless Worldwide as they have been recently on a spree of buying out large telecoms firms like Thus and Energis. They are always trying to find new ways to compete with larger rivals and to offer businesses complete business telecoms products. They don't seem keen on the residential side of things though after the disaster with Bulldog Broadband.

No carphone warehouse possibly because they own it in France. 3 would not be interested because for a start, many Virgin Mobile customers may be just 2G users and Richard branson will want the new owners to keep the Virgin name and possibly own a share in it just like most Virgin companies. 3 would want to use there own brand.

Vodafone would not be interested either because again they wouldn't want to associate with Virgin not after what happened in Qutar. I don't think they would be allowed to either by the competition commision, possibly Everything Everywhere could take over since they do already have some say in the company.
C&W already did it, 15 years ago
Quote:
The most significant restructuring of the UK telecommunications industry since the advent of competition five years ago was unveiled by Cable & Wireless yesterday with a pounds 5bn deal to merge its British subsidiary, Mercury, with three of the largest cable operators, Nynex CableComms, Bell Cablemedia and Videotron.
Then sold it five years later to NTL.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:33   #214
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
From Virgin Media to to C&W Cable!
The Virgin name will remain in replace and act like seperate entity, the idea is that Cable and Wireless Worldwide has a widespread infrastructure and an international one at that, so if it was one company, there would be no piggy backing on BT for certain things. And wouldn't Cable and Wireless like to offer its business customers 100mb broadband ect...

I'm sure C&W still provide emergency services,101 and operator assistance for Virgin Media and T-Mobile users.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35   #215
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
The Virgin name will remain in replace and act like seperate entity, the idea is that Cable and Wireless Worldwide has a widespread infrastructure and an international one at that, so if it was one company, there would be no piggy backing on BT for certain things. And wouldn't Cable and Wireless like to offer its business customers 100mb broadband ect...

I'm sure C&W still provide emergency services,101 and operator assistance for Virgin Media and T-Mobile users.
You know what, that is a great idea!

Take that BT/BskyB!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42   #216
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
C&W already did it, 15 years ago Then sold it five years later to NTL.
It is a different age now, then there was less interest in pay tv and high speed internet. I heard the only reason C&W sold it to NTL was because Telewest wouldn't sell up to C&W.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/394952.stm
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57   #217
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
It is a different age now, then there was less interest in pay tv and high speed internet. I heard the only reason C&W sold it to NTL was because Telewest wouldn't sell up to C&W.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/394952.stm
Well I agree, maybe a takover/merge of Virgin Media can work, but in the end C&W Worldwide might end up being taken over by Virgin Media itself!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...dwide-break-up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/m...dwide-bid-talk
Old 03-02-2012, 13:32   #218
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
New boxes, not new customers. So if you, as an existing customer, add another TiVo box after the end of Feb, that new box will have a £5 TiVo fee whilst your existing box(es) will keep the £3 fee
Hi Ben. I assume a 2nd box after Feb will be £5 TiVo + multiroom costs? Is it still £6.50 or has it gone up

If so then it brings it more or less in line with Sky Multiroom. Bang goes another USP for VM
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:34   #219
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes it will be £11.50 for an additional TiVo past 28th Feb
Old 03-02-2012, 13:52   #220
mentalis
cf.geek

Services: | Freeview | VirginTV XL with TiVo | BB L | Phone M |
mentalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nice

Looks like a lot of people are not happy about the price rises: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...rice-hike.html
mentalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:58   #221
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalis View Post
Looks like a lot of people are not happy about the price rises: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...rice-hike.html
Yes there is a lot of happiness about the forthcoming prices but if people are unhappy then they have a choice to make but remember the grass is not always greener on the other side.
Old 03-02-2012, 14:00   #222
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Hi Ben. I assume a 2nd box after Feb will be £5 TiVo + multiroom costs? Is it still £6.50 or has it gone up

If so then it brings it more or less in line with Sky Multiroom. Bang goes another USP for VM
Virgin a great USP, Every TiVo is connected to a 10Mb broadband connection and is capable of running "Apps". I'm just not sure that Virginmedia know how to exploit it.

Netflix, Crackle, Love-film etc should be there NOW, They should also consider a cheap connected box like an apple TV that they include with all broadband connection 50mb or higher.

I would buy a cheap VMtv box that had no activation fee but simply allowed me to get Netflix/Love-film apps ect. Maybe with the option to add some tv is I wanted.

It wouldn't need a hard-drive, VM should get the jump on this and do it now, its the future....I'm just not sure TiVo hasn't arrived just a little too late unless they start filling it with USEFUL apps.

I'm no expert in this field and I know VM will have people who are, but "Instant" Ondemand is the future and VM can deliver it now, Just make sure they have the best content and get a head start.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 14:01   #223
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

As the price hike for the TiVo service will go up by 66% can anyone tell us what is to be included/added to warrant such a significant rise?,I'm sure a few Apps here and there will not be of much comfort to TiVo subscribers added to the price rise of their TV,Broadband and in most cases phone service charges.
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 14:10   #224
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kop32 View Post
As the price hike for the TiVo service will go up by 66% can anyone tell us what is to be included/added to warrant such a significant rise?,I'm sure a few Apps here and there will not be of much comfort to TiVo subscribers added to the price rise of their TV,Broadband and in most cases phone service charges.
If you got the F1 Channel, Sky Atlantic, the extra itvHD channels and some quality ondemand streaming subscription services and the free streaming services like Crackle would you be happy?

I have no idea what you'll get just wondering.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 14:10   #225
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Anyone else get the impression that Virgin have overpaid for Tivo and it's beginning to bite them a bit? The original £3 charge per account quickly became per box, and now the rise to a fiver has really made me think twice about a second box, something which until this week I was definitely going to do once multi room streaming is activated.

What's annoying is it's supposed to be for the epg, and it doesn't matter how many stb's I have, I only really need one of them!
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote