Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 25-12-2013, 21:12   #2341
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
So for most of the 3 years since the 10:1 upload ratios were announced, they haven't actually had 10:1 upload on most packages. But they still keep pushing download speeds higher and higher.

You can see where there priorities are...
Can you blame them? Most people wouldn't know the difference between upload and download speeds and most people would only notice their download speed increasing anyway.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-12-2013, 21:22   #2342
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I can blame them, yes.

I recall them saying (or at least giving the impression) all future packages would maintain a 10:1 ratio.

They didn't even maintain a 10:1 ratio to the end of the rollout!
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 21:43   #2343
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I can blame them, yes.

I recall them saying (or at least giving the impression) all future packages would maintain a 10:1 ratio.

They didn't even maintain a 10:1 ratio to the end of the rollout!
Coming soon..... blah blah
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 21:45   #2344
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Still waiting for my 6mb upload of my 60mb, can't see that ever increasing.
Old 26-12-2013, 09:51   #2345
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Can you blame them? Most people wouldn't know the difference between upload and download speeds and most people would only notice their download speed increasing anyway.
Actually most wouldnt notice the latter and higher upload will be more noticeable.

The average joe aint going to feel the difference between 30mbit and 100mbit.

However social media and the cloud becoming more and more popular upload bandwidth is now playing a bigger role. The difference between 2mbit upload and 10mbit upload as a comparison is way more noticeable.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 16:58   #2346
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Actually most wouldnt notice the latter and higher upload will be more noticeable.

However social media and the cloud becoming more and more popular upload bandwidth is now playing a bigger role. The difference between 2mbit upload and 10mbit upload as a comparison is way more noticeable.
This, I think even extreme power users would be hard pressed to need more than 100 down, but would definitely use more upload speed.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 19:29   #2347
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

10:1 ratio are to staying until 2020 say virgin media
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 19:44   #2348
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Staying requires them to actually be here in the first place.
Old 28-12-2013, 19:54   #2349
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

exactly. It has been nearly a year since VM officially started the speed doubling program so it has been a year since everyone's ratios were 10:1 and even before that it wasn't for long. It took the forever to upgrade me from 50/1.75 to 50/5. I think I had it for 5 months before I upgrade to 100/10. Statistically speaking I think everyones connection have spent more time non-10:1 than they have been 10:1 so it isn't something VM should be able to state/advertise because it isn't true.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 21:23   #2350
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
exactly. It has been nearly a year since VM officially started the speed doubling program so it has been a year since everyone's ratios were 10:1 and even before that it wasn't for long. It took the forever to upgrade me from 50/1.75 to 50/5. I think I had it for 5 months before I upgrade to 100/10. Statistically speaking I think everyones connection have spent more time non-10:1 than they have been 10:1 so it isn't something VM should be able to state/advertise because it isn't true.
Still only 60/3 here has anyone been upgraded to 60/6 yet?
Old 28-12-2013, 21:37   #2351
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
This, I think even extreme power users would be hard pressed to need more than 100 down, but would definitely use more upload speed.
I think you're both overestimating the technical know-how of the average user. Most don't even realise that their connection is asymmetrical, they just see one big number and assume that the bigger number is faster than the other ISP's number. Uploading is definitely becoming more and more common, but it's still not common enough that most people will realise that it could be faster. They might notice if you increase upload speeds, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll notice that Virgin's is slower than BT's or whatever.
Old 28-12-2013, 23:03   #2352
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

BT FTTPoD will beat virgin media very easily!
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 00:42   #2353
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Virgin Media FTTPoD is 10 Jigabiggeruberbits!
Old 30-12-2013, 17:51   #2354
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think you're both overestimating the technical know-how of the average user. Most don't even realise that their connection is asymmetrical, they just see one big number and assume that the bigger number is faster than the other ISP's number. Uploading is definitely becoming more and more common, but it's still not common enough that most people will realise that it could be faster. They might notice if you increase upload speeds, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll notice that Virgin's is slower than BT's or whatever.
Well have a think of common internet activities.

Streaming video - so youtube, netflix, iplayer and the like. The user doesnt have to wait for a download, they just have to wait for the initial buffering, if they on a good isp thats it, no more waiting. A 30mbit connection will handle all those services without an issue at HD quality as long as there isnt congestion screwing it up. I am able to watch netflix super hd on a 2.4ghz 20mhz wifi channel no problem.
Uploading video - things change, its waiting time if you want to upload your own videos.
downloading/uploading photos - yes one has to wait but downloading a photo at 30mbit/sec, the wait should be short and sweet, however uploading high res photos at say 2mbit/sec not so sweet.
Browsing websites - internet shopping, twitter, banking, news sites, forums etc. all these should be a doddle at 30mbit/sec, 100mbit/sec wont make one bit of difference, of course in this neither does upload bandwidth, unless of course you are uploading 'whilst' browsing, then browsing becomes a laggy process. Not if you have say 20mbit/sec of upload bandwidth and your provider has a few gbit of shared upload capacity tho, then its barely noticeable.

Common activities even shows how upload capacity of both the end user and provider can affect things.

However I do agree with you that some users been so dumb lets VM off the hook they dont think isp congestion/limitations is the cause of their slow service. Instead VM tech bods have them fooled its their temporary internet folder clogging things up.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 11:47   #2355
Kushan

Quote:
Well have a think of common internet activities.

Streaming video - so youtube, netflix, iplayer and the like. The user doesnt have to wait for a download, they just have to wait for the initial buffering, if they on a good isp thats it, no more waiting. A 30mbit connection will handle all those services without an issue at HD quality as long as there isnt congestion screwing it up. I am able to watch netflix super hd on a 2.4ghz 20mhz wifi channel no problem.
Uploading video - things change, its waiting time if you want to upload your own videos.
downloading/uploading photos - yes one has to wait but downloading a photo at 30mbit/sec, the wait should be short and sweet, however uploading high res photos at say 2mbit/sec not so sweet.
Browsing websites - internet shopping, twitter, banking, news sites, forums etc. all these should be a doddle at 30mbit/sec, 100mbit/sec wont make one bit of difference, of course in this neither does upload bandwidth, unless of course you are uploading 'whilst' browsing, then browsing becomes a laggy process. Not if you have say 20mbit/sec of upload bandwidth and your provider has a few gbit of shared upload capacity tho, then its barely noticeable.

Common activities even shows how upload capacity of both the end user and provider can affect things.

However I do agree with you that some users been so dumb lets VM off the hook they dont think isp congestion/limitations is the cause of their slow service. Instead VM tech bods have them fooled its their temporary internet folder clogging things up.
I'm certainly not debating the pros and cons of Virgin, just that some people (In my opinion, most people) are simply unaware of factors outside of the headline download speed. I certainly had to explain upload speeds more than a few times when I was there, though it was incredibly rare occurrence that upload speeds were ever mentioned.