Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Olympics

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Olympics
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 13:37   #1
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
The Olympics

As above, i've heard varying reports on the radio etc as to the "enthusiasm" or rather the lack of it, in some parts of Scotland for the forthcoming games, it would be interesting to hear views on this as i know that a lot of people in Scotland seem to be totally disinterested, and would rather see the money spent on something else, so whats your take on it.
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2012, 13:47   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The Olympics.

l think the Olympics is a once in a lifetime event and as such we should alll get behind and support this magnificent spectacle as it will not come again in our lifetimes.
Old 05-06-2012, 14:02   #3
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

I'll be taking my daughters to see the torch in Glasgow on Friday evening. They've both been doing school projects about the olympics so are very enthusiastic.

There is a element of the Scottish population that doesn't feel part of it but I suspect that's for political rather than Geographical reasons.

My view is that Scotland is part of the GB so it's as much our olympics as you want it to be. You're certainly not going to ever be closer to an Olympic games. We've also got our own Commonwealth Games in 2 years time so I'm sure we can learn a lot from all the venues used for the Olympics.

Personally I always look forward to the Olympic Games but much prefer Games that are in my timezone.
Old 05-06-2012, 14:48   #4
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
They've both been doing school projects about the olympics so are very enthusiastic

Good stuff, it seems from what i've heard that most of the schools have embarked on some sort of olympics projects, this is really good as it may enthuse the children to become more active in sports, and lets face it, it's something really needed in the UK as far too many children aren't taking part in sports anymore and would rather sit behind a desk at their PC or XBox etc, my kids have been out of school for years now so i'm only commenting on what i've seen/heard via the media, showing my age eh?.......
Old 05-06-2012, 14:55   #5
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Part of 7 year old LR's project was to find out about one particular olympic sport.

She picked Beach Volleyball without any encouragement from me. In fact I tried to steer her in a different direction for fear of her teacher thinking I'm an old pervert.

She picked it because that's her favourite game on the Wii.... Honestly

.....still what a cover story to explain my browsing history
Old 05-06-2012, 15:02   #6
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
Part of 7 year old LR's project was to find out about one particular olympic sport.

She picked Beach Volleyball without any encouragement from me. In fact I tried to steer her in a different direction for fear of her teacher thinking I'm an old pervert.

She picked it because that's her favourite game on the Wii.... Honestly

.....still what a cover story to explain my browsing history

Of course she did LR.......
Old 05-06-2012, 16:03   #7
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
As above, i've heard varying reports on the radio etc as to the "enthusiasm" or rather the lack of it, in some parts of Scotland for the forthcoming games, it would be interesting to hear views on this as i know that a lot of people in Scotland seem to be totally disinterested, and would rather see the money spent on something else, so whats your take on it.
I would say to the scots to stop being such party poopers and mind their own business cos it's not their money we are spending

Old 05-06-2012, 16:19   #8
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I would say to the scots to stop being such party poopers and mind their own business cos it's not their money we are spending
We ain't all party poopers... and considering over £9 billion is coming out of the public purse, i'd say thats from taxes collected etc, wouldn't you?
Old 05-06-2012, 18:09   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well the Opening ceremonys ruined, Paul bloody McCartney top of the bill.
Old 05-06-2012, 20:22   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
We have been sending Olympic-themed mini-projects into school with two of our children for weeks now (torches, models of proposed Olympic sports, etc). I have no doubt the torch relay routes will be as busy around here as anywhere down south. On the Saturday morning it passes by us we will all be at Blue Peter live in Dumbarton and I suspect we won't be the only ones.

I have found that famous British reserve is far more pronounced in Scotland than it is in England and it doesn't pay to assume that reserve equals indifference. We are all very excited about the Olympics in our house. Cannae wait!
Old 05-06-2012, 23:03   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I find nothing to excite me about the Olympics and indeed find that the whole thing is overhyped. In our area roads will be closed much of the weekend for a cycle race. Yet the cyclists will be through in less than a minute. Is that inconvenience justified? Roads are being dug up so that a few cyclists will spend less than a second traversing a junction, yet we suffer traffic congestion and diversions for a week. Many events that would normally be run over summer but are now cancelled because of closures, staff and security issues. We are lead to believe the Olympics is a benefit, but has anyone really considered the real costs of disruption to everyday activities?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33   #12
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I am really excited for the Olympics. I have tickets for the gold medal ceremony of the Canoe Slalom event, it's taking place in my town, in a park where I literally used to ride my bike a lot growing up. That itself is pretty cool. I also have tickets for Basketball quarter finals. I am going to Victoria Park to watch the Opening Ceremonies on a large screen.

It's going be very cool. The Olympics will be in London and for the major events people around the world, millions and sometimes billions of people, will be watching how we do. They will be watching London and Britain host the games and hopefully we'll put in a show that will impress them.

It's sad when people make economic arguments alone. Is it a waste of money? Will we recoup any of that money? Why are we hosting a giant party when making cuts elsewhere? That misses the point completely and is a fairly miserable way of looking at life. There are some things that matter more than money, that are worth losing money, and when I die I will have had more pride and enjoyment at having watched the Olympics held in a park where I used to play than knowing the Government reduced the deficit by 0.001% in the Summer of 2012. Likewise I suspect the millions of people that will see the Olympics being held in their city, or their country, will remember that for the rest of their lives. I think that outweighs any monetary loss.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:29   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

^This.
Old 07-06-2012, 20:06   #14
LondonRoad
Inactive

^This also

We're actually getting quite excited about having a family evening out tomorrow to watch the torch relay.

There might be a few showers about but I'm sure we'll cope.
Old 07-06-2012, 21:32   #15
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There might be a few showers about

Yup, and they'll prob' be on the Buckfast....
Closed Thread