Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 18-01-2024, 06:04   #2491
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society
Re: The energy crisis

The new gas price for me came in : 3.80p and yet the link says 4p ....

This is scandalous, they are ripping off the country's people with charging 7.52p!!!! Some regions are lower than me.
Ms NTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2024, 07:53   #2492
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
I am on that region but my rates are always lower by 0.20p-025p
What is your Tracker tariff? I am on the latest which I think is Dec 2023 v1

---------- Post added at 07:53 ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
The new gas price for me came in : 3.80p and yet the link says 4p ....

This is scandalous, they are ripping off the country's people with charging 7.52p!!!! Some regions are lower than me.
Quite agree. Don't forget, we are paying ~40% less than SVT and they must still be making a profit from us!
Old 18-01-2024, 21:30   #2493
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
What is your Tracker tariff? I am on the latest which I think is Dec 2023 v1

---------- Post added at 07:53 ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 ----------

Quite agree. Don't forget, we are paying ~40% less than SVT and they must still be making a profit from us!
Octopus Tracker November 2022 v1

The profit on agile Octopus electricity is at least 100% (Octopus has published the formula). I do not know about gas
Ms NTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 21:17   #2494
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

So the formula is changing for Octopus tracker.

Electric unit price to rise by 2.3p, and Gas by 0.38p (these sadly might be misleading they quoted average, not actual for the region). Standing charge also to increase by unspecified amount which will make it end up 4% below SVR standing charge. These are fixed increases meaning when the wholesale rate is lower they are a bigger impact in terms of percentage and lower when its higher.

The reasons provided are largely on the basis they have not been charging the true cost in relation to the cost, and have been subsidising the package. Its going to be a matter of opinion I suppose if its profiteering or they have been losing money, but considering the formulas have always been published, unless those formulas were out of date then Octopus had healthy margins on tracker, the only time they would be losing money is if people were pegged at the cap with wholesale rates above it.

I am curious if Agile formula has changed, I dont know as havent checked yet, if it hasnt it might make moving back to it a good option. As 2.8p in terms of % isnt insignificant.

Tracker is also moving back to fixed term. No mention of exit fees in the email although that doesnt necessarily mean they dont exist, havent checked the full t&c's.

Last edited by Chrysalis; 30-01-2024 at 23:04.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 16:39   #2495
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Looks like Agile formula isnt changing, although still is getting the same SC increase, I will probably be moving back to Agile some time this month.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 10:22   #2496
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Ofgem are cutting the time a supply must complete a customers request to switch suppliers from 15 days to 5 days from April 2024. Under current rules if a switch isn't completed in 15 days a customer is entitled to £30 compensation.
Old 07-02-2024, 15:44   #2497
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

My recent switches have generally all been done in 2/3 days.

In one case, I was asked to pick a date, starting from the day after, and it was done on the date I picked.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 05:24   #2498
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Interesting first Bill from OVO (for August).
They charged me 14.85 for Electricity, which is simply the standing charge for the month.

This is despite they fact they have my meter readings for the month.
Gas was charged correctly, Standing plus usage from the meter readings.

I wonder how long this will last before they notice their system isnt working properly.
Well, it lasted almost 7 months before they finally realised they had screwed up, and "fixed" my bills.

Still, on the bright side, the RTS switch off, that would have affected my E7 meter, has been delayed by another year, until March 2025.

So a bit longer before I'll likely have to change it to a smarty.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 11:29   #2499
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Typical energy bill to fall £238 a year from April under new price cap, maybe it was a good idea I never went fixed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68353627
Old 23-02-2024, 11:41   #2500
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

It will be interesting to see how the Agile & Tracker tariffs respond to this.
Old 23-02-2024, 11:54   #2501
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I'm considering getting a smart meter installed with Octopus, do I need to be at home if the meter box is outside of my property?
Old 23-02-2024, 12:01   #2502
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I'm considering getting a smart meter installed with Octopus, do I need to be at home if the meter box is outside of my property?
There Twitter / X support is very good they will tell you
Old 23-02-2024, 12:14   #2503
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
There Twitter / X support is very good they will tell you
Thanks.

I clicked get a smart meter in the account and there are no available slots in my area, I'm in no rush so didn't click to join a list for now.
Old 23-02-2024, 12:14   #2504
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
It will be interesting to see how the Agile & Tracker tariffs respond to this.
Indeed

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 14:37   #2505
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

"Ofgem has also announced today that it's going to permanently reduce standing charges for prepayment meter customers.

However, standing charges for direct debit customers and those who pay on receipt of bill will rise.

Ofgem has also introduced a temporary additional payment of £28 a year to cover the cost of customers who fall behind on bills. Prepayment meter customers won't be affected by this extra charge."

So those who fully pay will have to pay more to cover those who don't. Despite them receiving large sums of government money to help them?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...EJ4Ka2nhUfYLD0
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote