Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | JVC GRD-70EK Drivers and software?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PC to TV connection?

Old 25-11-2010, 12:14   #1
dtallon
Inactive

dtallon is an unknown quantity at this point
PC to TV connection?

I've searched this topic on this site and seen some partial answers but none of them really give a definitive answer to what I'm after.

I have an old Sony TV (non-digital) with both Scart and composite sockets and a couple of laptops, one with a standard VGA port and a newer one with a HDMI port and I'd like to connect them so I can watch avi and divx films on the TV. I understand that I can't connect the HDMI port of the laptop to the TV's composite or Scart port without using some sort of digital to analogue converter which is expensive. But I noticed my sons connect their xBox to the composite sockets on the TV which works fine and it occurred to me that surely I could connect a laptop too? After all, an xBox is just a 'hobbled' pc, yes?

(Before you say 'buy a digital/flatscreen TV' I have one in another room that works fine with the HDMI output from the laptop, but I'd like to be able to use this old TV as well).

So, my questions are:

- Can I connect the VGA on the old laptop to the composite sockets or the Scart on the TV and get it to work without spending a fortune? or at all?

- Or is it the case that any PC is digital and will need some sort of converter to work with an old non-digital TV regardless of what sockets it plugs into?

- Also, the TV has an old - i think it's 5 pin - S-Video socket too, but I gather this is just another form of composite socket and also needs the audio to be plugged in - is this right?
dtallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2010, 12:47   #2
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age
Re: PC to TV connection?

try here
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=v....c0.m270.l1311
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote