Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can the + recording function be disabled by VM?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Would I be allowed to take the TV package out

Old 03-04-2011, 00:10   #1
winkle

Would I be allowed to take the TV package out

Got told I may be out of work in the next few weeks as my current workplace is expected to go into administration.

As I am currently into 1 month of a new 12 month contract for the following

XL TV (Sky Sports Collection + HD)
Extra box upstairs
10mb broadband
unlimited calls (inc line)

I currently pay £81.50 p/m for all that

Would I be allowed to take the TV out (both rooms) without Virgin charging me as I will still be with them in the Broadband & Phone servies?

Any help will be great !!!
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2011, 00:13   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Would I be allowed to take the TV package out

Unfortunately if you were to disconnect the TV completely, and you are outside the Money Back Guarantee period, then you will be charged an Early Disconnection Fee to remove the TV

However you might be able to downgrade your TV service to the minimum possible and probably disconnect the additional STB without triggering the EDF
Old 03-04-2011, 00:25   #3
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle View Post
Got told I may be out of work in the next few weeks as my current workplace is expected to go into administration.

Extra box upstairs
10mb broadband

Would I be allowed to take the TV out (both rooms) without Virgin charging me as I will still be with them in the Broadband & Phone services?

I'm really sorry to hear that Winkle. I hope things work out for you in the coming months.

In regards to your post I've always wondered about this myself.

If you lose your job, and can prove it, surely companies that offer things like TV or mobile contracts long term need to act wisely on the basis that you are facing genuine hardship? If Virgin don't help you I'd seek help from Citizens Advice or a Solicitor who works on a no win no fee basis. In this economic climate companies who are not seen to react favourably when a customer is facing genuine hardship due to a change in employment status are seriously frowned upon. I know because I'm dealing with this issue on a daily basis through my work at the moment.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:09   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle View Post

Extra box upstairs
10mb broadband

Would I be allowed to take the TV out (both rooms) without Virgin charging me as I will still be with them in the Broadband & Phone servies?

Sorry to hear that mate , I hope things work out for you.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Unfortunately if you were to disconnect the TV completely, and you are outside the Money Back Guarantee period, then you will be charged an Early Disconnection Fee to remove the TV

However you might be able to downgrade your TV service to the minimum possible and probably disconnect the additional STB without triggering the EDF
Could we get a qualified answer to this.I can see a future where a fair few people are going to be made redundant and will need to cut their outgoings.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Sky Sports and movies is only a 1 month contract, you can get rid of that
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:22   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Could we get a qualified answer to this.I can see a future where a fair few people are going to be made redundant and will need to cut their outgoings.
I can only say what the options are based on the Terms and Conditions. Any variation would be down to whether Virgin would be prepared to make an exception based on the circumstances.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:26   #8
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I can only say what the options are based on the Terms and Conditions. Any variation would be down to whether Virgin would be prepared to make an exception based on the circumstances.
Thanks for that Ben let's hope they do , especially for reliable long standing customers.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31   #9
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
So perhaps we need to push VM about the issue?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
So perhaps we need to push VM about the issue?
Not sure what you mean?

I appreciate that people are in difficult circumstances, which is why it's always worth discussing the situation with Virgin.

However, legally, any customer with them did agree to the terms and conditions of contract, which include EDFs.

You can't start picking and choosing the bits of the contract you want to follow when it suits you.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:52   #11
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Let's hope they are flexible, this is going to happen more and more this year and services like VM's will be amongst the first to get reduced when families feel the squeeze.

If they are not flexible they will just end up with thousands of defaults.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06   #12
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
Let's hope they are flexible, this is going to happen more and more this year and services like VM's will be amongst the first to get reduced when families feel the squeeze.

If they are not flexible they will just end up with thousands of defaults.
It's usually the opposite actually. During hard times TV companies actually do better, it's cheaper to stay in and watch the TV than go out, so whilst outgoings on entertainment are slashed, spend on TV either remains or actually increases. It's only when families have cut all else that can be cut do they turn to cut down on TV.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 13:06   #13
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
It's usually the opposite actually. During hard times TV companies actually do better, it's cheaper to stay in and watch the TV than go out, so whilst outgoings on entertainment are slashed, spend on TV either remains or actually increases. It's only when families have cut all else that can be cut do they turn to cut down on TV.
If they are still working I would agree.

This guy has said he is losing his job, as are thousands each week. We are dealing with cases like this hand over fist right now.

If you physically haven't got the money to pay all your bills there will be things that come way ahead of pay TV like utility bills.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 14:48   #14
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Not sure what you mean?

I appreciate that people are in difficult circumstances, which is why it's always worth discussing the situation with Virgin.

However, legally, any customer with them did agree to the terms and conditions of contract, which include EDFs.

You can't start picking and choosing the bits of the contract you want to follow when it suits you.
Sorry wasn't meaning you in particular.Was musing out loud because VM must be seeing an increase and they must have been discussing it somewhere in management.

But as you say it will have to be a case by case situation at present.
Old 03-04-2011, 15:24   #15
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Sorry wasn't meaning you in particular.Was musing out loud because VM must be seeing an increase and they must have been discussing it somewhere in management.

But as you say it will have to be a case by case situation at present.
What kind of proof would Virgin Media need that a customer is being honest about their circumstances when they come wanting out of a contract for less than their contract terms state?
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote