Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | struggling to help a disabled friend with his NTL internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

struggling to help a disabled friend with his NTL internet

Old 16-10-2012, 22:04   #1
timmy toad
cf.member

Services: PlusNet phone and internet, Freesat and Freeview
timmy toad is on a distinguished roadtimmy toad is on a distinguished road
struggling to help a disabled friend with his NTL internet

Hi i have this very good friend he has parkinsons and dementure, his only happiness is browsing the Internet, with a compute i built for him many years ago and it has a genuine copy of Win XP on it.

I got a call from him today he told me had mistakenly installed a trial version of AVG 2012 and now they wanted paying !!!. He then got blocked from using the internet, he thought, by AVG 2012.

So i appear on the scene and Uninstall AVG 2012 for him and his Internet still doesn't work, i do believe his computer does connect to the router at 10mb on his "local" network, but as for connecting to the Internet it won't do it at all.

He doesnt know his username or password, but despite this i used his Broadband install disc and it stopped with an error "VTruckDbg" so i still havent got anywhere and i dont have a clue what i should do next ?

I took my Apple Lap Top with me and connected up to that with his cable from his router, that didnt work either.

I gave up trying to get it going today, thinking i would be better off going home, joining this forum and hoping some kind soul can give me a few clues what i should try next.

I believe i have 2 options, phone up NTL on his phone and let them sort it out and perhaps come round and fit him a new modem.
or
take his whole PC set up home with me and connect it up to my BT router which will CONFIRM that it IS his Router !!!!!

Any more ideas anyone, please.

tim
timmy toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2012, 22:16   #2
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold
Re: struggling to help a disabled friend with his NTL internet

Just to confirm are you connecting directly to the modem or a router first then the modem?

Also is this cable or "national"/adsl?
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 22:29   #3
timmy toad
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
Just to confirm are you connecting directly to the modem or a router first then the modem?

Also is this cable or "national"/adsl?
thanks friend, for having a look at my post, i reckon he has a very old Modem/router combined, it isnt wireless either. so there is only box to connect to/from.

It is just a cable from the footpath outside with a branch off for his TV in the back of the house.

tim
Old 16-10-2012, 22:32   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Some AV software cannot be simply uninstalled, you need to download it uninstall tool, this is to stop malicious sw uninstalling it.

I did this myself and needed another PC to download it.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 22:32   #5
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy toad View Post
thanks friend, for having a look at my post, i reckon he has a very old Modem/router combined, it isnt wireless either. so there is only box to connect to/from.

It is just a cable from the footpath outside with a branch off for his TV in the back of the house.

tim
Did you have a look at the device itself? If so did it have only one ethernet port or a few? My knowledge does not go very far back but I believe the first combined modem/router to go onto either virgin or ntl's network was the virgin media hub only a few years ago.

If it only has one ethernet port then its most likely a modem and if your laptop connected to it (if your laptop is set to dhcp) does not work then you will need to get virgin out.
Old 16-10-2012, 22:36   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If it is a modem, as opposed to a router, and quite likely to be a modem, then when you change the device connected to the modem, i.e. swap computers, you must power cycle (off for 30 seconds, then back on) the modem.

I doubt you need a disc. That system stopped once they ceased use of broadband through the TV Set Top Box, or using USB cable.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 22:51   #7
timmy toad
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
Did you have a look at the device itself? If so did it have only one ethernet port or a few? My knowledge does not go very far back but I believe the first combined modem/router to go onto either virgin or ntl's network was the virgin media hub only a few years ago.

If it only has one ethernet port then its most likely a modem and if your laptop connected to it (if your laptop is set to dhcp) does not work then you will need to get virgin out.
OK chaps, thanks for the input, yeah i reckon it is a modem only it is reckon getting on for 10 years old.
what is DHCP ?.
my MacBookPro didnt appear to see the NTL Modem using the chaps cable. but then i couldn't find out how to switch off wireless, it looked as if it was giving wireless connections priority cable connections.

PS. it looks as if a call to NTL is on the cards, they should THEN be able to check that the signal is getting through to his Modem I HOPE ?

Tim

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If it is a modem, as opposed to a router, and quite likely to be a modem, then when you change the device connected to the modem, i.e. swap computers, you must power cycle (off for 30 seconds, then back on) the modem.

I doubt you need a disc. That system stopped once they ceased use of broadband through the TV Set Top Box, or using USB cable.
OK thanks Rob, of course i didnt re-boot the modem when i changed computers LOL, DAM, it looks like i shall have to try that when i visit again, which wont be until tommorrow night, he has several hospital appointments tomorrow, poor sod !

tim
Old 16-10-2012, 23:10   #8
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy toad View Post
OK chaps, thanks for the input, yeah i reckon it is a modem only it is reckon getting on for 10 years old.
what is DHCP ?.
my MacBookPro didnt appear to see the NTL Modem using the chaps cable. but then i couldn't find out how to switch off wireless, it looked as if it was giving wireless connections priority cable connections.

PS. it looks as if a call to NTL is on the cards, they should THEN be able to check that the signal is getting through to his Modem I HOPE ?

Tim

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

OK thanks Rob, of course i didnt re-boot the modem when i changed computers LOL, DAM, it looks like i shall have to try that when i visit again, which wont be until tommorrow night, he has several hospital appointments tomorrow, poor sod !

tim
I always forget about restarting the modem

DHCP is a system for a computer that has connected to a network to get an ip address but chances are if you don't know what it is it will be on.
Old 17-10-2012, 00:13   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

If its that old it will likely be a modem only.

Can you remember what lights were on and either steady or flashing?

You will probably need to call Virgin up and get them to look at it.
Old 17-10-2012, 07:46   #10
timmy toad
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If its that old it will likely be a modem only.

Can you remember what lights were on and either steady or flashing?

You will probably need to call Virgin up and get them to look at it.
Thanks buddy, me remember his lights ?, well i reckon they were all flashing pretty good LOL.

O yes it is a modem only, bugger how i hate phoning up NTL, that is one of the reasons WHY i went over to PlusNet !!! LOL. and PlusNet is cheaper ! and about 18mb/s with 60gig limit

Tim
Old 17-10-2012, 08:18   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Its Virgin Media now as they changed name about 5 yrs ago.

Next time you are there make a note of the lights.
Old 17-10-2012, 08:36   #12
timmy toad
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Its Virgin Media now as they changed name about 5 yrs ago.

Next time you are there make a note of the lights.
"Old habits die hard" is that correct ?, LOL

Of course i know they changed the name

I shall definitely take notice of the lights next time i visit !.

Perhaps i should ask :- what should they be doing, if it is working properly ?.

I have just connected my Lap Top up with a cable at home, which immediately connected after i turned off the WiFi, so if i have another go at doing that, it will help confirm the problem

tim
Old 17-10-2012, 12:45   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It's probably one of two things

1# Nic isn't set to auto
2# The NTL software has for some reason set a proxy/dialup (just remove the proxy/dialup in Internet options)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 14:59   #14
timmy toad
cf.member

ok buddy thanks for those couple of pointers, summat else for me to check out, i have now got all the windows open (on my lap top) that show me all of the relevant "lights" on the modems that i think it might be, so hopefully now, when i take my lap top with me tonight i can check up on the stuff with his modem without an internet connection. LOL.

Tim
Old 17-10-2012, 21:00   #15
timmy toad
cf.member

UPDATE

http://cl.ly/KE3h

What a load of crap Virgin media are, it was the RDY light on his modem flashing when it should be steady, spent an hour phoning up an Indian fella told me in this chaps area the broadband service is DOWN being fixed, be ok in 2 days.
I didnt believe him and told him so, like water off a ducks back !!!!!
I gor home only to find that, of course the service starus for his post code is GREEN

tim