Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Trial a TiVo?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Trial a TiVo?

Old 18-07-2014, 16:34   #1
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Trial a TiVo?

I've got a V+ and until this morning was quite happy with it. But it seems VM are so hell-bent on pushing the TiVo that the BBC CatchUp service has been downgraded without any notice (series-stack & HD content removed)

So I'm looking again at a TiVo... really didn't get on with one when I tried it a couple of years ago but maybe it's time to make the plunge. Pricewise, one of the "Big Bundles" works out fractionally cheaper and also includes a higher broadband tier. So ok there.

But functionally, our V+ is well-over half-full and it's the usual PITA of having to either dump the recordings to DVD or watch them before "D-Day". Is there any way to run the two boxes in parallel for a short period? Or otherwise trial a TiVo to see whether we get on with it?

Thanks,
Jon.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2014, 18:40   #2
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: Trial a TiVo?

Sorry to reply, too late to edit...

Two other queries with the Catchup side too:

I've always found the picture of the V+ HD CatchUp shows on our TV, better than HD-streaming over the interweb, but how does a TiVo in HD-iPlayer mode on a 32" TV compare?

And series-stacking - I've always liked the concept of every episode being available until 7days after the final episode is screened, the new setup seems different. Am I right in thinking the availability of any program on TiVO OD will be exactly the same as the same program on whichever website it's being streamed from?
Old 19-07-2014, 07:51   #3
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
I've always found the picture of the V+ HD CatchUp shows on our TV, better than HD-streaming over the interweb, but how does a TiVo in HD-iPlayer mode on a 32" TV compare?
HD on iPlayer on the TiVo is I believe a 720i (50fps) or for some shows 720p (25fps) 3.2Mbps H.264 video + 192Kbps AAC audio stream. HD BBC shows via Virgin's own on-demand servers were I believe a 1080i (50fps) 20Mbps MPEG 2 video + MPEG layer 2 audio stream.

So on the TiVo it's using newer technology which gets more out of the same bandwidth, but still not quite to the quality it was before. On a 32" set at an average viewing distance you probably won't notice that much difference. However, there seems to often be congestion to the iPlayer servers from TiVo, especially at peak times, and it is less resilient than Netflix so you may get occasional buffering or be unable to view the HD versions of shows. I find I am more likely to record a show even when I know it will be on iPlayer because of this.

Except for Netflix, other on-demand content comes from Virgin's on-demand servers and is exactly the same as the V-HD or V+ boxes.

Quote:
And series-stacking - I've always liked the concept of every episode being available until 7days after the final episode is screened, the new setup seems different. Am I right in thinking the availability of any program on TiVO OD will be exactly the same as the same program on whichever website it's being streamed from?
That's correct. TiVo uses the standard BBC iPlayer infrastructure that works the same across devices. They're also soon increasing the time for shows on iPlayer to 30 days.
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 11:27   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But functionally, our V+ is well-over half-full and it's the usual PITA of having to either dump the recordings to DVD or watch them before "D-Day". Is there any way to run the two boxes in parallel for a short period?
VM may let you keep the V+ in another room for free. Give them a call and see what they say.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 15:55   #5
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post

Except for Netflix, other on-demand content comes from Virgin's on-demand servers and is exactly the same as the V-HD or V+ boxes.
Ah ok - so the BBC iPlayer uses the "app" but everything else (ITV, Sky, C4 & C5?) uses the same as existing V/V+? Didn't realise that, interesting.

I get that the TiVo EPG is a +/- 7 day jobbie, but presumably for shows that are series/older than 7days etc, there's still a menu-type listing? Sorry if this is really basic stuff...

Quote:
That's correct. TiVo uses the standard BBC iPlayer infrastructure that works the same across devices. They're also soon increasing the time for shows on iPlayer to 30 days.
Good stuff - so the percentage of shows that are available online in HD, will be the same with TiVo, that's one up on V+ already then.

We've only got one TV in the house, so having multiroom isn't an option - I was tempted to ask about parallel running for a short while, but decided to just "go for it". Just means clearing through 40-odd hours of recorded stuff to DVD etc. A PITA but then so is VM chopping BBC-HD on V+ with no warning. Seriously unimpressed with that.

Thanks for the other replies so far - really helpful. I'm now really intrigued about the bitrates and resolutions on various media now :-)
Old 19-07-2014, 16:15   #6
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I loved my V+ and it took a leap of faith to swap to a Tivo but looking back I wish I had swapped earlier. A couple of points that could make the change over simpler....

Don't forget to make a note of your recording list. It is surprising how something that you like to record slips your mind.

Also check out the programs that you have recorded, if they are on catchup you could just view them from there once your Tivo is installed this could cut down the number of programs you have to view before switch over day.

I laboriously transferred my recorded programs onto DVD and found that I hardly needed to watch them as most of the stuff was on catch up.
Old 19-07-2014, 19:47   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I get that the TiVo EPG is a +/- 7 day jobbie
-7/+14

Quote:
but presumably for shows that are series/older than 7days etc, there's still a menu-type listing? Sorry if this is really basic stuff...
Yeah, the Search feature knows about all the content that's available. Also there's Browse that groups them by category.

Quote:
so is VM chopping BBC-HD on V+ with no warning. Seriously unimpressed with that.
Do you mean for watching old recordings? Generally VM give you 3 months after the channel has closed.

Quote:
I'm now really intrigued about the bitrates and resolutions on various media now :-)
Press the Info button on the Tivo netflix app and it'll tell you what it is using.

A small correction to what steveh posted: Sky Premium HD On Demand content is only available on TiVo as it's H.264-encoded.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 09:28   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But it seems VM are so hell-bent on pushing the TiVo that the BBC CatchUp service has been downgraded without any notice (series-stack & HD content removed)
Apologies if this has already been said, the Series stack removal was a BBC decision

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/p...4/iplayer.html

Quote:
Under the plans approved by the Trust, the current ‘series stacking’ option, where multiple episodes of a TV series can be downloaded retrospectively, will end, although it will still be available for radio programmes.
Old 20-07-2014, 09:54   #9
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Apologies if this has already been said, the Series stack removal was a BBC decision

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/p...4/iplayer.html
Thanks Ben - it's a perfectly valid point and I was waiting to hear what VM were going to do with this once the BBC had announced it.

What I think was downright "naughty" was the total lack of any communication from VM on this, the way they've removed HD-CatchUp at the same time but done it all in a "reactive" way and left it for people to call CS. Then have a reactive statement with some rubbish about "increasing choice of content on V+".

Just typical VM communication to be honest which has ceased surprising me anymore. I get that there'll be a technical explanation somewhere (putting all HD-OD onto MPEG4 perhaps?) but the whole thing just stinks of a marketing decision.

In which case...technically it worked and it has pushed me into TiVo. But with a slightly bad taste in the mouth. Hopefully once we've got through changeover day later this week I'll be less annoyed!
Old 26-07-2014, 10:10   #10
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
HD on iPlayer on the TiVo is I believe a 720i (50fps) or for some shows 720p (25fps) 3.2Mbps H.264 video + 192Kbps AAC audio stream. HD BBC shows via Virgin's own on-demand servers were I believe a 1080i (50fps) 20Mbps MPEG 2 video + MPEG layer 2 audio stream.

So on the TiVo it's using newer technology which gets more out of the same bandwidth, but still not quite to the quality it was before. On a 32" set at an average viewing distance you probably won't notice that much difference. However, there seems to often be congestion to the iPlayer servers from TiVo, especially at peak times, and it is less resilient than Netflix so you may get occasional buffering or be unable to view the HD versions of shows. I find I am more likely to record a show even when I know it will be on iPlayer because of this.

TiVo was installed yesterday morning, and this is really the one big bugbear unfortunately. We watched 2 episodes of Eastenders in HD-Catchup, and actually it didn't seem much better than SD.

I'm not sure whether it's the resolution or what.. but it seemed to have a "cinematic" feel to it and certainly wasn't what I'd call broadcast quality. Think I'll need to keep on experimenting and trying other BBC shows that are in SD & HD - I certainly can't fault the SD quality so far.
Old 26-07-2014, 10:33   #11
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I have a 37 inch Panasonic and normally can see little if any difference between SD and HD. I put this down to the excellent SD picture produced by Tivo rather than a problem with HD.

Of course, people with larger screens may well have a diffent experience.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 11:24   #12
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

The HD quality of iPlayer on TiVo isn't as good as the iPlayer on V+, I find. The HD stuff has now returned though in the HD catch up folder on my V+.
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 16:45   #13
japitts
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn012 View Post
The HD quality of iPlayer on TiVo isn't as good as the iPlayer on V+, I find. The HD stuff has now returned though in the HD catch up folder on my V+.
Having had our V+ swapped for TiVo last Friday, I get the feeling that the quality *can* be pretty close, certainly sufficient to not worry. But it doesn't seem nearly as reliable... short term problems I hope.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:28   #14
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Why has the HD content the BBC i-player been removed on the v boxes? I`m not happy about it really. I have a tivo box box but her-that-must-be-obeyed hogs that so rarely get a look in!
Incidently I`ve looked at getting a second tivo box BUT the activation fee is nearly 100 quid! How do virgin justify that much?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 13:29   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Why has the HD content the BBC i-player been removed on the v boxes? I`m not happy about it really. I have a tivo box box but her-that-must-be-obeyed hogs that so rarely get a look in!
Incidently I`ve looked at getting a second tivo box BUT the activation fee is nearly 100 quid! How do virgin justify that much?
Id look at getting a tivo again, they can post them out
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote