Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] The News Corp scandal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] The News Corp scandal

Old 06-07-2011, 18:59   #121
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The government have already shown their cards with the BSKYB deal unless we are to have an epic back track on that.
So they are "showing their cards" if they go ahead, and having an "epic back track" if they don't.

Seems whatever they do, you'll condemn them....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2011, 19:11   #122
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
re: NotW phone hacking allegations: Milly Dowler, Soham, 7/7, dead soldiers' families...

While not enamoured with the Conservatives the fact remains that politicians from both sides have been cosying up to the Murdoch Empire for over 20 years and we shall see if this is the straw that broke the camel's back as politicians have a habit of paying lip service for a while and then not possessing the moral courage to do anything about it in the long run as we have seen before.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:12   #123
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The government have already shown their cards with the BSKYB deal unless we are to have an epic back track on that.
This is a good read?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14045715

Quote:
Which brings me to my third big point. I don't see how News Corporation, owner of News International, can pursue its takeover of British Sky Broadcasting at this juncture - or at least that is the inescapable conclusion of conversations I've had with those close to the bid.

On this last issue, and as I've pointed out before, Ofcom is under a legal obligation to ensure that the owners of broadcasters such as BSkyB are fit and proper.

But pending the results of the police enquiry into alleged illegal behaviour by the News of the World, and pending a public disclosure by News International of the way that it has changed its structures and practices to ensure such abuses never happen again, Ofcom is not in a position to adjudicate whether News Corporation is fit and proper.

That poses a dilemma for British Sky Broadcasting's independent directors. They know there is an increased risk of regulatory intervention by Ofcom to frustrate the takeover.

Because of that execution risk, they would have to demand a much steeper price from News Corporation than would otherwise be the case. It is their fiduciary duty to do so - and News Corporation, run by Rupert Murdoch, will be well aware of that.

Which means that even if - as is likely - the Secretary of State Jeremy Hunt gives a green light for the bid to be launched in a couple of weeks or so, it would be both potentially expensive and very risky for News Corporation to press the button on the bid then.
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:16   #124
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So they are "showing their cards" if they go ahead, and having an "epic back track" if they don't.

Seems whatever they do, you'll condemn them....
Quite right Hugh , we shouldn't expect to much from a government what wines and dines with the Murdoch hierarchy. You will be ok I've heard the cartoon section of your favourite tabloid NOTW remains unaffected

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
That is all irrelevant , Sky was doing just fine with Murdoch's ownership at 39%.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:16   #125
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes its a good read Devil and remember there is worse to come out in the coming days.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:21   #126
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Quite right Hugh , we shouldn't expect to much from a government what wines and dines with the Murdoch hierarchy. You will be ok I've heard the cartoon section of your favourite tabloid NOTW remains unaffected
Who said Notw was Hugh's favourite tabloid? AFAIK, he doesn't read ANY tabloids. Another thing to remember about Politicians. They've got a habit of supporting people *when they are useful*, but dropping them at the first sign of trouble.

Quote:
That is all irrelevant , Sky was doing just fine with Murdoch's ownership at 39%.
It's not irrelevant at all. I think the BBC article explains why quite well.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:25   #127
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Who said Notw was Hugh's favourite tabloid? AFAIK, he doesn't read ANY tabloids. Another thing to remember about Politicians. They've got a habit of supporting people *when they are useful*, but dropping them at the first sign of trouble.
Quite happy to side with them on this occasion though

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

As for politics. It's nothing to do with party politics. The worst thing that could happen to this story is for either party to use it as a tool to bash the other, if people view this as party political point scoring then it's over. NOTW will move on and the police will end up charging someone small and insignificant.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:29   #128
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Actually, I was pointing out the hypocrisy/lose-lose context of muppetman's post...

I do not support the Murdoch empire (except for my purchase of the iPad version of the Times/Sunday Times), and hope they get pilloried for this.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:31   #129
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Actually, I was pointing out the hypocrisy/lose-lose context of muppetman's post...

I do not support the Murdoch empire (except for my purchase of the iPad version of the Times/Sunday Times), and hope they get pilloried for this.
Hugh you were correct with your post , my wording wasn't the best. If it was referred I wouldn't condemn them , and I never thought for one minute you read that trash LOL.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:32   #130
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:

If you have read the full article you would have noticed this bit?

Quote:
The e-mails seems to show the then editor of the News of the World, Andy Coulson, authorising the payments. But which reporter or executive at the News of the World handed the cash over to police officers?

Also who else at the News of the World or News International knew about the payments? Since they amounted to tens of thousands of pounds in total, it seems implausible that they were not approved at a higher level within the organisation.
The previous bit that I quoted was what could happen in the long run?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:34   #131
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I hope we do. This just goes to show how low Murdock and his media empire will go to get a story.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:38   #132
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If you have read the full article you would have noticed this bit?

The previous bit that I quoted was what could happen in the long run?
I have read all the points and agree Murdoch's takeover could well be a non starter , but what do you think this will do to Sky ? They are the dominant pay TV platform and will remain that way with or without Murdoch full ownership be it right or wrong.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:42   #133
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
I have read all the points and agree Murdoch's takeover could well be a non starter , but what do you think this will do to Sky ? They are the dominant pay TV platform and will remain that way with or without Murdoch full ownership be it right or wrong.
but at least Murdoch won't have the empire he craves and won't have the power that he so obviously wants to be able to tell governments where to go and how high to jump.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:45   #134
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
but at least Murdoch won't the empire he craves and won't have the power that he so obviously wants to be able to tell governments where to go and how high to jump.
I agree Maggy I'm not his biggest fan.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:51   #135
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
However Murdock will not have the power he craves to modify this countries political direction depending on his political ambitions.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote