Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Old 22-05-2008, 20:52   #76
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
A Sky HD box from ebay will give BBC, Luxe HD (!) and C4 HD once the card is transferred, plus more channels than Freesat (at the moment).
At the moment with Freesat he'd have to be happy with BBC HD and Luxe HD (!)
True, but very short-term thinking, for a number of reasons:

1. eBay. Would you, really? I've never bought 2nd hand electronics off there and I never would. And I *definitely* would never buy a Sky box off eBay, with the number of viewing card scams that are out there.

2. ITV HD will not be on Sky. Which has p***ed James Murdoch off no end. He don't like it up 'im, Cap'n Mainwaring, Sir!

3. The iPlayer will not be on Sky.

4. Quantity of channels is not an issue, because the channels currently on FreesatfromSky will progressively start appearing on Freesat as and when any rights issues are resolved.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2008, 21:04   #77
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Sorry, there's more than one Freesat thread going on, I'm getting confused what I've answered where.

The BBC and ITV insisted on specifying an ethernet port so they can offer VOD-like services via the red-button, and a broadband return path which allows good quality interactive applications that don't require a phone line for dial-up.

A version of the BBC iPlayer and the joint-venture equivalent (called Kangaroo, and involving BBC, ITV and C4) are being developed for Freesat.
A Mod should do a Freesat sticky!

OK, I've never ever, used interactive on any platform. I use my STB for TV, and have laptops for surfing the web.

It will be interesting to see whether Freesats MHEG provides a big difference in interactive apps over Sky's (Kudelski supplied) OpenTV, I believe the Freesat EPG is also MHEG.

I also wonder how long Sky's use of the ethernet ports on HD boxes will be away. I know they are looking at using it.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Quote:

1. eBay. Would you, really? I've never bought 2nd hand electronics off there and I never would. And I *definitely* would never buy a Sky box off eBay, with the number of viewing card scams that are out there.

2. ITV HD will not be on Sky. Which has p***ed James Murdoch off no end. He don't like it up 'im, Cap'n Mainwaring, Sir!

4. Quantity of channels is not an issue, because the channels currently on FreesatfromSky will progressively start appearing on Freesat as and when any rights issues are resolved.
Theres another way of looking at the ITV HD thing. ITV have deprived themselves of advertising revenue on HD programmes of over 200,000! At this time ITV are also struggling to make money from advertising (they bought Friends Reunited in a failed attempt to find additional revenue sources). I know for a fact Sky offered to provide red button access to ITV HD on their existing system.
Old 22-05-2008, 21:56   #78
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
A Sky HD box from ebay will give BBC, Luxe HD (!) and C4 HD once the card is transferred, plus more channels than Freesat (at the moment).
At the moment with Freesat he'd have to be happy with BBC HD and Luxe HD (!)
plus their cheaper from eBay then direct from Sky.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

Quote:

unless you make silly mistakes eBay is very safe i got my Sky receiver from eBay with a free viewing card.

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Quote:
Theres another way of looking at the ITV HD thing. ITV have deprived themselves of advertising revenue on HD programmes of over 200,000! At this time ITV are also struggling to make money from advertising (they bought Friends Reunited in a failed attempt to find additional revenue sources). I know for a fact Sky offered to provide red button access to ITV HD on their existing system.
also dont Sky have shares in ITV ?

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Quote:
A Mod should do a Freesat sticky!

OK, I've never ever, used interactive on any platform. I use my STB for TV, and have laptops for surfing the web.

It will be interesting to see whether Freesats MHEG provides a big difference in interactive apps over Sky's (Kudelski supplied) OpenTV, I believe the Freesat EPG is also MHEG.
OpenTV is the standard across the world.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 22:13   #79
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
plus their cheaper from eBay then direct from Sky.

unless you make silly mistakes eBay is very safe i got my Sky receiver from eBay with a free viewing card.
I admire your confidence and wish you never to stumble across a less than honest seller.

Quote:
also dont Sky have shares in ITV ?
They do, although they have been ordered to sell them due to competition issues.

However they don't own enough shares in ITV to force them to provide ITV HD to the Sky platform.

ITV HD will not be provided to Sky until ITV is content that it has gained maximum advantage from having it exclusively on Freesat. Much the same way as Sky has always treated the cable companies with its own new channels really.

Quote:
OpenTV is the standard across the world.
Open TV is not a standard. It's a widely-used but proprietory system. Freesat uses MHEG because this is the same platform as was deployed for Freeview, making it quicker and cheaper to port interactive content between the two.
Old 22-05-2008, 22:21   #80
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I admire your confidence and wish you never to stumble across a less than honest seller.
so according to you everyone on eBay is dodgy ?

Quote:
They do, although they have been ordered to sell them due to competition issues.
thats what i heard also.

Quote:
Open TV is not a standard. It's a widely-used but proprietory system. Freesat uses MHEG because this is the same platform as was deployed for Freeview, making it quicker and cheaper to port interactive content between the two.
if you research OpenTV you will find that it is the standard.
Old 22-05-2008, 23:17   #81
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
so according to you everyone on eBay is dodgy ?
No, don't think I said that.

Quote:
if you research OpenTV you will find that it is the standard.
I have. Even OpenTV refrains from calling its STB software a 'standard'. The company's Wikipedia entry doesn't, either.

If OpenTV doesn't claim it's a standard, and its Wikipedia editor's don't claim it's a standard, perhaps you should do some research ... on the correct use of the word 'standard'?
Old 23-05-2008, 00:17   #82
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:

Not necessarily true. At some point in time ITV HD will likely be on Sky and Virgin - it's just not right now. But to say that it will not be on Sky is perhaps a little final?

Same as....

Quote:
Again, I think when the Sky box has such a capability or is made to open up their platform to third party software or whatever happens next, then iPlayer is likely to appear.

It may not be this year or even next year...but both the above are, IMHO, probable to appear.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 01:00   #83
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Not everything on eBay is second hand.

Plenty of sellers sell new stuff too.

I bought my Sky HD box - brand new- from eBay for just over half what Sky charge, from a reputable dealer.

Nice & cheap, plus meant I wasn't locked into paying Sky's £10/month HD tax.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 03:58   #84
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
No, don't think I said that.
you implied it.

Quote:
I have. Even OpenTV refrains from calling its STB software a 'standard'. The company's Wikipedia entry doesn't, either.

If OpenTV doesn't claim it's a standard, and its Wikipedia editor's don't claim it's a standard, perhaps you should do some research ... on the correct use of the word 'standard'?
try researching a little more then

---------- Post added at 03:58 ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Not everything on eBay is second hand.

Plenty of sellers sell new stuff too.

I bought my Sky HD box - brand new- from eBay for just over half what Sky charge, from a reputable dealer.

Nice & cheap, plus meant I wasn't locked into paying Sky's £10/month HD tax.
good point iv brought many items from eBay both new & old for very good places. also sites like Amazon are good & cheap for mostly new items.
Old 23-05-2008, 16:10   #85
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif View Post
Not necessarily true. At some point in time ITV HD will likely be on Sky and Virgin - it's just not right now. But to say that it will not be on Sky is perhaps a little final?
You might have a point had you not overlooked the fact that I also posted this last night:

Quote:
ITV HD will not be provided to Sky until ITV is content that it has gained maximum advantage from having it exclusively on Freesat. Much the same way as Sky has always treated the cable companies with its own new channels really.
I very much agree with you, ITV HD will be on Sky eventually ... we just have no idea when. And seeing as Freesat is expected to grow organically (hence the low-key launch) rather than with a quick, rapid uptake, I'd guess ITV will expect there to be reasons *not* to put themselves on Sky for a fair while yet.

Quote:
Again, I think when the Sky box has such a capability or is made to open up their platform to third party software or whatever happens next, then iPlayer is likely to appear.

It may not be this year or even next year...but both the above are, IMHO, probable to appear.
Again, I agree. However, whichever way it plays out, Freesat is a good thing. If Sky is forced to behave in a more open and competitive manner, everyone wins, and it will have been thanks to Freesat acting as a catalyst. As someone pointed out, there are ethernet ports on the back of Sky+ boxes. How long has that been part of the hardware spec? Since launch? How many years ago? And yet they have done nothing about it. To this day, there is no active software loaded into the box that will allow you to connect your Sky+ box to your home LAN.

Sky has become indolent because it doesn't believe it has to innovate to stay ahead of the game. Until now, it was the only satellite game in town. Well, now, there's competition. This is a good thing. And it's thanks to Freesat.

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

Quote:
you implied it.
If you say so.

Quote:
try researching a little more then
No thanks. I've quoted two reputable sources which say I'm right and you're wrong - if you still insist you're right, it's your turn to show us some proof.
Old 23-05-2008, 16:31   #86
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

yes i do say so & if you cant search then thats upto you init.
Old 23-05-2008, 16:33   #87
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
yes i do say so & if you cant search then thats upto you init.
Whatever you say, chief.
Old 23-05-2008, 17:53   #88
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

yes i do say
Old 23-05-2008, 19:10   #89
bonehead
Inactive

bonehead is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all for the info. i will try to tune in freesat on skybox for time being,had a look for the humax hd box,no one seems to have any,not a problem yet as i still have 30 days with sky
once again thanks for info,cheers
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 20:24   #90
Losttheplot

Quote:
I very much agree with you, ITV HD will be on Sky eventually ... we just have no idea when. And seeing as Freesat is expected to grow organically (hence the low-key launch) rather than with a quick, rapid uptake, I'd guess ITV will expect there to be reasons *not* to put themselves on Sky for a fair while yet.
For a company that makes its money selling adverts I can't see how ITV depriving themselves of 200,000 or so Sky HD subs is a good business idea.