Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2 PC, 1 USB and Ethernet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

2 PC, 1 USB and Ethernet

Old 31-07-2005, 11:45   #1
LUCAS123
Inactive

LUCAS123 is an unknown quantity at this point
2 PC, 1 USB and Ethernet

My downstair computer Windows 98 has a broadband connection NTL via USB. I want to move my connection upstairs, is it possible to plug in Ethernet cable and laid the wire (without moving my Sliver NTL Box) to my upstairs PC. Will it work?
LUCAS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2005, 11:47   #2
Scottsw
Inactive

Scottsw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2 PC, 1 USB and Ethernet

I don't think you can. You'll need a router.
Scottsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 11:51   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCAS123
My downstair computer Windows 98 has a broadband connection NTL via USB. I want to move my connection upstairs, is it possible to plug in Ethernet cable and laid the wire (without moving my Sliver NTL Box) to my upstairs PC. Will it work?
It should do. You will need to reboot the modem once you've got it all connected but there shouldn't be too many problems so long as you use a reasonable quality cable.

Another option you could consider would be to attach a wireless router to your Stand Alone Cable Modem (SACM - Silver NTL Box) and then put a wireless card in the PC. Should be able to get the lot for about £50 and you wouldn't have to run cables all over the house.

The added bonus with that setup is that if you get another wireless device in the future (laptop/PDA) it will be able to share your connection without too much fiddling.

<Edit: Read the next couple of posts.....looks like I need more sleep >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsw
I don't think you can. You'll need a router.
I'm assuming that the OP only wants one PC connected, and that that PC will be upstairs while the modem remains downstairs.

Although, having read the title of the thread again (I am such a ).....

The answer is no, as Scottsw says, you cannot have USB and Ethernet running on the same SACM.

If you want to share your modem connection between two PCs you will need a router or ICS will need to be enabled on the downstairs machine and it will need to be left on all the time while the upstairs machine is using the Internet.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 11:57   #4
Scottsw
Inactive

The only thing with Wireless routers is that they can be abit of a pain to set up.
Old 31-07-2005, 12:00   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsw
The only thing with Wireless routers is that they can be abit of a pain to set up.

You're not wrong there

Once they're set up the benefits (normally) outweigh the pain though.
Old 31-07-2005, 12:02   #6
LUCAS123
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
It should do. You will need to reboot the modem once you've got it all connected but there shouldn't be too many problems so long as you use a reasonable quality cable.

Another option you could consider would be to attach a wireless router to your Stand Alone Cable Modem (SACM - Silver NTL Box) and then put a wireless card in the PC. Should be able to get the lot for about £50 and you wouldn't have to run cables all over the house.

The added bonus with that setup is that if you get another wireless device in the future (laptop/PDA) it will be able to share your connection without too much fiddling.

Say the downstairs PC was shut down, would the upstairs Internet connection be stop as well?

<Edit: Read the next couple of posts.....looks like I need more sleep >

I'm assuming that the OP only wants one PC connected, and that that PC will be upstairs while the modem remains downstairs.

Although, having read the title of the thread again (I am such a ).....

The answer is no, as Scottsw says, you cannot have USB and Ethernet running on the same SACM.

If you want to share your modem connection between two PCs you will need a router or ICS will need to be enabled on the downstairs machine and it will need to be left on all the time while the upstairs machine is using the Internet.
Say the downstairs PC was shut down, would the upstairs Internet connection be stop as well?
Old 31-07-2005, 12:04   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

In which scenario?

With Internet Connection Sharing enabled, yes. Your upstairs PC would be reliant on your downstairs PC being switched on.

With a router, no. Provided the router was powered on your two PCs would have internet connectivity independent of each other.

Of the two options a router is by far the easiest to configure, maintain, and troubleshoot - it's also the most flexible.
Old 31-07-2005, 12:04   #8
Scottsw
Inactive

No, as long as the Modem is on, you can use the internet anywhere around your house.
Old 31-07-2005, 12:06   #9
LUCAS123
Inactive

Quote:
In which scenario?

With Internet Connection Sharing enabled, yes. Your upstairs PC would be reliant on your downstairs PC being switched on.

With a router, no. Provided the router was powered on your two PCs would have internet connectivity independent of each other.
Im sorry im quite ignorant when it comes to PCs. Can you make it a bit simpler? Please
With a router, no. Provided the router was powered on your two PCs would have internet connectivity independent of each other
Old 31-07-2005, 12:09   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

If you use a router to share the internet connection:

The modem connects to the router.

The router is then connected to the two PCs.

The router shares the internet access with both PCs.

If one PC is turned off the other will still have access because it is still connected to the modem through the router.

If you use the PC downstairs to share the internet connection:

The modem is connected to the downstairs PC.

The downstairs PC sends signal to the upstairs PC.

If the downstairs PC has no power (it's turned off) the upstairs PC won't get any signal and therefore can't access the internet.
Old 31-07-2005, 12:25   #11
LUCAS123
Inactive

Quote:
If you use a router to share the internet connection:

The modem connects to the router.

The router is then connected to the two PCs.

The router shares the internet access with both PCs.

If one PC is turned off the other will still have access because it is still connected to the modem through the router.

If you use the PC downstairs to share the internet connection:

The modem is connected to the downstairs PC.

The downstairs PC sends signal to the upstairs PC.

If the downstairs PC has no power (it's turned off) the upstairs PC won't get any signal and therefore can't access the internet.
So I need a router? Is it easy to do? My downstairs computer is Windows 98 my upstairs is XP! Is that a problem? Are Routers long enough to get from upstairs to downstairs and how much cost wise?
Old 31-07-2005, 12:57   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok, fundamental misunderstanding here.....sorry, my fault.

A router is basically a box.

Your modem connects to it using an ethernet cable.

The router then connects to both PCs using ethernet cables.

If you go for a wired router you would need two cables, and one long enough to reach from the router to the downstairs pc, one long enough to reach from the router to the upstairs pc.

If you go for a wireless model you will need one cable long enough to reach the downstairs pc, and you will then need some sort of wireless receiver/transmitter card in the upstairs pc. The signals are then sent to/from the upstairs pc using a wireless signal (a bit like a radio signal).

For on example of such a pair of devices look here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...316527-8278026

and here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...316527-8278026

The first device is the router, the second is the card that goes inside your upstairs pc.

There shouldn't be a problem with the fact that you have two different OS's (Operating Systems).

The cost will vary depending on which setup you go for, and which models you buy. The Linkysys ones are very good (but that's just my opinion) but many other people here use different models.

There's a good article here about different routers that are available:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74