Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Services Chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Services Chat

Old 16-02-2013, 08:14   #241
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky Services Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Personally, targeted advertising seems flawed. I rarely buy from any advertisement, generally I search for something I need, or buy something i heard about. But the source is never advertisements, I have a rule to not use ]places that use adverts I compare for best deal. Frugal nature inbred
I don't watch Live TV that often so generally hit FF through the ads anyway , about the only live stuff we watch is sport and ad breaks are brew time.

That said there's still millions who watch live TV so I suppose that's their market.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2013, 08:36   #242
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Personally, targeted advertising seems flawed. I rarely buy from any advertisement, generally I search for something I need, or buy something i heard about. But the source is never advertisements, I have a rule to not use ]places that use adverts I compare for best deal. Frugal nature inbred
I can see the advantages for it as well. Might be good thing as i dont like some ads but i do like some ads as well
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:08   #243
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn012 View Post
Not sure about it being a Sky first, Telewest used to insert their own adverts on the Viacom channels during an ad break.
True, but those were inserted at the central headend so weren't targeted. As far as I know, this is the first time there has been ad-insertion in the box.

Many years ago analogue cable had ad insertion at the regional headend, so you'd get adverts for local businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The only problem Virgin have is it's going to take them another 24 to 48 months to get a TiVo box into every TV customers home. Until their 3.8 million or so TV customers are hooked up, targeted adverts is a revenue stream Virgin won't be able to exploit to it's full potential.
The same applies to all the Sky customers who don't have Sky+HD.

In the meantime, VM can do ad insertion on VOD to all customers regardless of box type, albeit not as targeted as TiVo could do.

Quote:
Personally, targeted advertising seems flawed.
If advertising (targeted or not) didn't work, they wouldn't do it.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:13   #244
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

true...i meant for me
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:21   #245
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
In the meantime, VM can do ad insertion on VOD to all customers regardless of box type, albeit not as targeted as TiVo could do.
I'm sure Sky can do something similar allbeit only with the boxes that have a HDD , I'm sure years ago when we had a white Sky+ box the Sky Anytime content which is delivered via satellite had ads inserted , granted I'm not 100% sure here and there are still many Sky households out there with the original Sky digital (non PVR) STB'S which can't get On Demand something VM has no problems with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
If advertising (targeted or not) didn't work, they wouldn't do it.
Exactly couldn't agree more.
Old 19-02-2013, 11:54   #246
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Update for anyone that has a Nexus on Android 4.2.2 with Sky Go not working. Update for Sky Go should be out in a few weeks.

Quote:
Q – What about Sky Go Extra?

A- We’re sorry that the update to 4.2.2 has prevented Sky Go Extra customers from using the app. We are working on providing support for 4.2.2 as a priority and hope to have an update ready in the next few weeks, sooner if possible. Customers can continue to benefit from the two month free trial of Sky Go Extra and use the download functionality on other Android devices that we support (that haven’t been updated to 4.2.2) or on computer in the interim. As soon as we have more news on the update we’ll let everyone know.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:00   #247
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky+ app update Version 4.3.3 available for iOS.

Adds the following features :-

See how much space is left on your Sky+HD box

Support for new STB software

Coming soon : 4oD added to catchup section in app to allow you to view and start downloads

You must now login with your twitter credentials to see tweets about a show
Old 14-03-2013, 17:17   #248
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky Movies app rolls out on Android

Quote:
The Sky Movies app offering film trailers, movie streaming and remote record functionality has expanded to Android devices.

The app, available to download now from Google Play, offers film fans a "one-stop shop" for accessing information on movies currently showing at the cinema, and titles available on Sky Movies and the Sky Store.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...n-android.html
Old 14-03-2013, 19:37   #249
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Good news.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 20:55   #250
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Indeed, excellent news for Android users. I really enjoy browsing the Sky Movies library on the iPad app!
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 09:19   #251
nstokes
Inactive

Sky+ app update.

Version 4.3.5 has become available.

What's new?
- Improves connectivity to Sky+HD box.
- New 4oD section in Catch Up.
Old 20-03-2013, 11:49   #252
nstokes
Inactive

Update for Sky Go for iOS available today

What's New in Version 3.0.1
We are aware that some customers experienced issues with the last app update so we have worked to improve the service following your feedback. Thank you for your patience.

What’s New:
- Watch Channel 4 and More4 live, and enjoy top Channel 4 shows on demand, all within Sky Go
- Improved App performance and faster loading times
- Enhanced network stability whilst watching Live and On Demand content
- Improved download speed reporting
- Bug fix for customers experiencing an Error 23 message after synching their device with iTunes/iCloud
- ‘Concurrency – You are not signed in’ error message resolved
- General bug fixes
Old 31-03-2013, 21:12   #253
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Sky Movies Disney , Syfy , Universal , Crime & Investigation and Star Plus added to Sky Go taking the total channels available to 49.
Old 01-04-2013, 17:30   #254
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I don't watch Live TV that often so generally hit FF through the ads anyway , about the only live stuff we watch is sport and ad breaks are brew time.
FF can be too much hassle for those without patience. I'll be sticking Atlantic HD on later while Game of Thrones is on, simply so Sky get the viewing stats from my box and related ads revenue. My TV will be getting its input from a network device though

Spoiler: 

Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 22:57   #255
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
simply so Sky get the viewing stats from my box and related ads revenue.
The fact the box is tuned to the channel says nothing about who is watching, or indeed whether anyone is. Even if Sky do collect data this way, it is so low grade no advertiser would accept it.

Here's how viewing measurement is actually done:
http://www.barb.co.uk/resources/refe...hat-we-do?_s=4
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote