Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How Do I Set Up Virgin Media Wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How Do I Set Up Virgin Media Wireless

Old 01-01-2008, 17:03   #1
dparker224
Inactive

dparker224 is an unknown quantity at this point
How Do I Set Up Virgin Media Wireless

hi there,i changed over to cable broadband a few months ago,i have since bought a netgear wireless router which i was told would work with cable,but im unsure how to set it up,i plugged it into my cable phone line but couldnt get laptop to connect or my apple imac g5,at the moment im using the modem virgin gave me which has white cable screwed into the back of it,im just wondering if i need to unscrew that cable and put an ethernet type connection on which would fit the netgear router,anyone any ideas as im no expert on these things,model of router is NETGEAR WPN824.do i still need to connect through the virgin moden?or is there a simpler solution,im on windows vista and tiger 10.4 on apple.any help much appreciated,thanks,daniel
dparker224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2008, 17:07   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: How Do I Set Up Virgin Media Wireless

You need a router that will connect to the modem, you cannot just buy and ADSL router and plug it into the telephone line as the BB is sent down the white cable with the screw connector on that goes to the VM stand alone modem.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 17:15   #3
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

You need to connect your modem to the Netgear with a cat5e cable.

The WPN824 is a standalone router & not a modem router, so it should work.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 17:25   #4
dparker224
Inactive

thanks for quick reply,ill try that,kindest regards,daniel.ps happy new year to all on here!

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

thanks mate,i didnt realise it wasnt a modem router,thats what i get buying cheap off ebay,thanks again,kindest regards,daniel
Old 01-01-2008, 17:33   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker224 View Post
thanks for quick reply,ill try that,kindest regards,daniel.ps happy new year to all on here!

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

thanks mate,i didnt realise it wasnt a modem router,thats what i get buying cheap off ebay,thanks again,kindest regards,daniel
You don't need a modem router, so you got the right one!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2008, 18:37   #6
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker224 View Post
hi there,i changed over to cable broadband a few months ago,i have since bought a netgear wireless router which i was told would work with cable,but im unsure how to set it up,

i plugged it into my cable phone line but couldnt get laptop to connect or my apple imac g5,at the moment im using the modem virgin gave me which has white cable screwed into the back of it,

im just wondering if i need to unscrew that cable and put an ethernet type connection on which would fit the netgear router,

anyone any ideas as im no expert on these things,model of router is NETGEAR WPN824.

do i still need to connect through the virgin moden?

or is there a simpler solution,im on windows vista and tiger 10.4 on apple.any help much appreciated,thanks,daniel
its easy to get confused at first, but you always need to use the supplyed cable modem as your first point of connection.

what you do is plug your WPN824 into that and then connect your PCs into the LAN WPN824 ports or its wireless LAN.

VM-CM<===>WAN-RJ45-WPN824-LAN-RJ45<===>PC1

VM-CM<===>WAN-RJ45-WPN824-wirelessLAN<--->PC2/ PC3/ etc

VM-CM = virginmedia cable modem
<===> =straight RJ45 twisted pair Lan cable
<---> = wireless connections to LAN side PCs/devices

power cycle the CM then the router then the PC's

and you should find that the WAN side of the wireless router has been given a valid webside IP, and the router has given out some valid LAN side IPs for your connected PCs.

at this point it should be working fine and all you might want/need to do is go into the routers mini web, probably http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 and setup/change your wireless security settings.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 19:40   #7
dparker224
Inactive

thanks for that detailed info,ill probably wait while the weekend and try it out,thanks once again and happy new year to you all,keep up the good work,all the best,daniel
Old 03-01-2008, 13:04   #8
roland69uk
Inactive

Services: V+, M TV, L BB, XL Phone. Sky + HD
roland69uk is on a distinguished roadroland69uk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to roland69uk

just a quick question, i am moving to a house in a cabled area next month and will be getting VM BB, however i have been given a fon wifi router, will i be able to use this with VMBB????

thanks
roland69uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 15:57   #9
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

yep, and

now whether you have any other FON users around is another matter, after all thats the point of FON , were you can connect to them when outside your personal FON coverage....

unless you modded it to be part of the 3rd party firmware wireless FON WAN/LAN community MESH networks that are starting to pop up now.

http://opensourcemesh.org/ for instance,and even then you need at least one within range of your own FON/MESH kit OC.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:49   #10
hcanni819
Inactive

hcanni819 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very interested in this thread, am having the same problems. Will it work with the wireless router as seen on http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_in...ddf67ed6abe9b9

All I have is my desktop PC and my xbox 360 (already have wireless network adaptor for 360.) Can I connect the wireless router to the desktop through the modem, and have just the 360 working wirelessly?
hcanni819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 16:11   #11
popper
Inactive

yep, the rule is everything begins with the supplyed VM cable modem (or *DSL modem if your using that type of connection ,most VM customers are cable though).

so, you plug the (Wireless)router into the CM through its WAN port, then everything on your LAN side plugs into the LAN ports of that router, weather it be wired or wireless, it doesnt matter (other than different speeds for LAN to LAN kit copying etc).

its the router that gives out all the LAN IPs your devices will use to get to the web, not the VM Cable Modem itself.

the (wireless)router just gets one single webside IP address for itself from the VM-CM, and passes all the data traffic through that IP to all the LAN side devices in your personal LAN.
Old 22-01-2008, 14:39   #12
corrosive21
Inactive

corrosive21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

been googling about and found this place, seems to have some good answers.

I do work as an I.T Engineer so feel free to throw whatever ya want knowledge wise at me.

My issue

I have Virgin Media 20mb

after alot of messing about with engineers i managed to get the directly wired to a laptop connection at the right speed (ranging from 17-18.5mb)

I have also bought myself a WGR614 NEtgear wireless router, and this is where the trouble is starting.

The network is set up fine with regards to connecting to and getting internet.

however speedtests when going through the router can range from 1mb-6mb max.

WAN MDU appears to be set to 1500, which i'm told is right.

Router Firmware is the latest from Netgear.

I've tried with windows firewall on and off, no difference

I'm running Vista 64x which might raise an eyebrow but then i did manage to get it working fine through ethernet.

One thing that was interesting, to make it work properly via ethernet, the engineer yesterday (i wasnt at the house but the girlfriend was) was advised by virgin to download tcp-optimizer.

One theory is that the change made on there works on ethernet but not on the wireless adapter.

I'm also going to take an XP laptop home from work to test that because of VIsta either having strange settings OR the adapter being dodgy, work might let me borrow the router here as well.

just wondering if there's any light regarding speed someone could shed on the subject.

thanks.
corrosive21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 17:04   #13
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Do you get the higher speed connected via cable to the router?
Old 22-01-2008, 21:28   #14
corrosive21
Inactive

corrosive21 is an unknown quantity at this point

touch and go to be honest.

its hard to test in the evenings apparently with it being peak times.

its half 9 in the evening and got 14mb out of the wired connection and 10mb out of the wireless.

hmm
corrosive21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 23:38   #15
wpirvine
Inactive

wpirvine is an unknown quantity at this point

corrosive21, Cobbydaler, I have a similar problem Virgin 20Meg...if i connect using cat5 direct to any laptop i get 16Meg upwards....when i use my Netgear WNR834B v1 the most i can get using speedtest.net is 6Meg. This is infuriating. Proven out its not a VM problem now i am on with netgear and their super polite support chappies...i am going through a few settings at the moment. Still no joy but if i get anywhere i'll post here again.

Cheers

William
wpirvine is offline   Reply With Quote