Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Channel 5 Query

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV Drive freezing & resetting

Old 23-04-2006, 23:23   #1
Lord Telly
Inactive

Lord Telly is an unknown quantity at this point
TV Drive freezing & resetting

I had TV Drive installed yesterday. Have recorded and watched a couple of programmes OK, set recordings up for later this week and watched programmes on Teleport Replay with no problems. However, when I use the TV guide and other menus it keeps freezing and resetting itself. Or sometimes just freezing and I have to reset by pressing the button on the box. Almost everytime. It is beginning to make me wonder if I should go back to using the VCR and set top box. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Lord Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2006, 22:52   #2
bluecandylover

Services: Virgin Media VIVID 200, XL TV, TiVo 1Tb, Sky+HD 2Tb, Box Set Bundle
Re: TV Drive freezing & resetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Telly
I had TV Drive installed yesterday. Have recorded and watched a couple of programmes OK, set recordings up for later this week and watched programmes on Teleport Replay with no problems. However, when I use the TV guide and other menus it keeps freezing and resetting itself. Or sometimes just freezing and I have to reset by pressing the button on the box. Almost everytime. It is beginning to make me wonder if I should go back to using the VCR and set top box. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Not had any problems with that, I have had the TV>rive for approx 2months, and never had any major crashes, infact it's been much better than the orginal boxes, Is the TV>rive well ventilated?
Old 25-04-2006, 14:21   #3
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Register
Telewest has admitted that its new TVDrive hard disk based video recorder has suffered some "teething problems" and that a new software patch has been issued to try and fix the snag.

Telewest, which merged with NTL to create a single UK cableco, launched its TVDrive PVR (personal video recorder) in March after a three month pilot of the service.

But customers have complained that the boxes keep resetting - making them as useful as a chocolate teapot.

One Telewest customer, who declined to give his name, told us his PVR was "effectively unusable" and that Telewest's customer support staff knew nothing of the problem. Yet an engineer who came round to check the PVR told him, "they're all like that".
Link.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 15:02   #4
Lord Telly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Yes, the Telewest man has just been and said that he'd been to four TV Drive calls today where the problem is the same. It's a national problem he said. He also said that the Telewest call centre won't admit this, but he personally is tired of lying about it.

He did also say though, that Telewest are releasing a software patch in the next two weeks which hopefully should solve the problem. I shall wait and see.
Old 30-04-2006, 13:44   #5
craigsta
Inactive

Services: TVDRIVE, Teleport, Unlimited Calls, 4 Meg Broadband
craigsta is an unknown quantity at this point

It hasn't happened to me much but i have had it freeze on two occasions. Both times was when i had entered my code to watch a programme via teleport lifestyle.
craigsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:28   #6
sjferris
Inactive

sjferris is an unknown quantity at this point

My crashes with 8888 on the display and needs a power cycle to reboot. This is everyday. Obviously when it's crashed it doesn't record anything.

When using the interface, I slight gust of wind can make the thing crash. Totally unacceptable.

Useless, totally useless.
sjferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54   #7
Buffalo2102
Inactive

Buffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enough

For starters, the Telewest man was incorrect. There are many TVDrive subscribers, like bluecandylover, who have not had this problem and are perfectly happy. Therefore it is not a national problem and that is why the call centre won't admit it.

Secondly, if it keeps locking up or crashing then it is unfit for use and you should keep on at Telewest until they resolve it (or you've had enough of it).
Buffalo2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 20:43   #8
DeltaFlyer
Inactive

Services: V+, Broadband, Landline, Mobile
DeltaFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the original pilot group. No one ever asked for feedback. My TVDrive freezes at least once a week, sometimes twice, and usually overnight. Sometimes I wake to find it on Ch890 which indicates it's been up to something while I slept. Sometimes it records a few hours of what it calls 'Restored' material on a channel I never recorded on. Last week I had 21 hours of a channel spontaneously recorded. It's got a personality all of it's own.....and I now lock my bedroom door at night
DeltaFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 20:51   #9
Lord Telly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyer
I was in the original pilot group. No one ever asked for feedback. My TVDrive freezes at least once a week, sometimes twice, and usually overnight. Sometimes I wake to find it on Ch890 which indicates it's been up to something while I slept. Sometimes it records a few hours of what it calls 'Restored' material on a channel I never recorded on. Last week I had 21 hours of a channel spontaneously recorded. It's got a personality all of it's own.....and I now lock my bedroom door at night
The truth is out there!
Old 18-05-2006, 02:23   #10
iceman
Inactive

Services: TVDrive AOL 2MB Broadband Teccy Geek :-) Sad!
iceman is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem, telewest fella come out, said he'd had 1 hours worth of training on TVDrive so didnt have a clue, and just swapped my box.

GREAT! LOL!
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 20:46   #11
Lord Telly
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo2102
For starters, the Telewest man was incorrect. There are many TVDrive subscribers, like bluecandylover, who have not had this problem and are perfectly happy. Therefore it is not a national problem and that is why the call centre won't admit it.

Secondly, if it keeps locking up or crashing then it is unfit for use and you should keep on at Telewest until they resolve it (or you've had enough of it).
Ye of little faith Buffalo Bill. It's working perfectly now, touch wood.
Old 30-05-2006, 16:15   #12
Buffalo2102
Inactive

Buffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enough

I didn't say I lacked faith - just pointed out that it wasn't a national problem.
The fact that yours is now working and others are still complaining confirms that.

Glad it's working for you now.
Buffalo2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 17:24   #13
DeltaFlyer
Inactive

Services: V+, Broadband, Landline, Mobile
DeltaFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all. I've got myself a case of the Bad Box Blues.....again! After about a month where my TVDrive quit rebooting itself sporadically and actually did NOT miss episodes of a Series it was set to record, it fell off the wagon - with a 2 finger salute!
1) if I watch a recorded prog and return to Live TV, I'm sometimes met with a black screen with white borders on left and right (EPG works). On/off, reboot, power down doesn't reset it. However, anything it might be recording does play back intact even if I can't see it whilst 'live'.
2) Big Brother (don't judge me!) has stopped recording. I deleted the series link and set it again and it didn't record again. I'm now setting it day to day. The same happened with Criminal Minds on Fri Living TV.
3) ST Enterprise moved from a.m. to p.m. and the 'Record Series' link missed it.
4) Because of TVD's inability to flex with last min changes in prog times, I set padding for all recordings to 1 min before and 10 min after. Last Weds' first episode of Eureka was most enjoyable except for cutting off a couple of mins from the end. There was no time change and there was no recording clash. So, ANYONE, did they leave? did they stay? do we know why they saw themselves earlier? Don't tell me you missed it too...
5) It's rebooted itself a couple of times overnight or while I've been watching. Does anyone think this could be related to the current hot weather ie. my sleeping with my bedroom door open again %{ (see above/my prev post)?
6) No interactivity on any Channel. How on earth can Anne and Philip REALLY Test The Nation? Perhaps they should rename it 'Test Everyone Except Telewest Customers?
I know I'm being a tad silly but is anyone getting these probs too please? If it wasn't for the smashing crew at CS, I'd be off. But after many years as a customer, I really want TW/NTL to beat the Big Oz. Don't you?
DeltaFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote