Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Caller Display not available?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Caller Display not available?

Old 31-03-2010, 08:17   #46
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future
Re: Caller Display not available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.stansfield View Post
Got CLI today on the other side of the Wirral (CH62)
Hi, I thought I too would try again today for CLI (CH41 Wirral). It is still not available so I will just keep trying!!. Thanks.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2010, 10:27   #47
nigelmclelland
Inactive

Services: Internet VIVID 150Mb Tv M, Phone - Talk weekends.
nigelmclelland is on a distinguished roadnigelmclelland is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
Hi, I thought I too would try again today for CLI (CH41 Wirral). It is still not available so I will just keep trying!!. Thanks.
What's your switch number Mersey70? can you find out and let us know, Mine is WL1, thats in CH63.
nigelmclelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 10:59   #48
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelmclelland View Post
What's your switch number Mersey70? can you find out and let us know, Mine is WL1, thats in CH63.
I am sorry I don't know, I did ask previously but the operator was far from helpful. I am CH41 and was part of the Birkenhead sub headend upgrade for NGTV last week, is this what you are referring to by switch because it's a term no one I have spoken to seems familiar with. I have asked about what switch I am on and have never got an answer.
Old 31-03-2010, 21:23   #49
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

they should be able to identify the availability off your 'area code' which you can find on your bill
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 22:42   #50
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
they should be able to identify the availability off your 'area code' which you can find on your bill
Actually the area reference won't help - as they generally cover several switches - some could be enabled and some couldn't
Old 31-03-2010, 23:13   #51
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
My area code is 20 which I think from other posts is just ex-Nynex/CWC areas and covers all manner of places.

I'll try again in a few weeks, Virgin will probably have 500mb Broadband & 100 HD channels by time I can get Caller ID!!
Old 31-03-2010, 23:51   #52
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

....indeed, been waiting years for it myself.

No idea why VM are even bothering to do these upgrades now. Why not just go straight to VOIP and be done with the old telephone system once and for all?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:12   #53
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verizon View Post
Why not just go straight to VOIP and be done with the old telephone system once and for all?
Personally I think it's because VoIP, although cheap, isn't yet reliable enough to replace 'old style' phone lines completely
Old 01-04-2010, 11:09   #54
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Personally I think it's because VoIP, although cheap, isn't yet reliable enough to replace 'old style' phone lines completely
Yes I agree with that regarding VoIP, when I receive calls from Skype users to my landline it can cut out and the voice sometimes sounds 'robotic' if you know what I mean but it is excellent value. However when I was a BT Broadband customer you get a VoIP line and second standard telephone number included and you can just plug any landline handset into the HomeHub and benefit from cheap international calls (and get Caller ID!!!) and I can honestly say that the service was faultless as was the Broadband, if it wasnt for the fact that you had to have a BT landline to get their Broadband I could happily have just used it as my home telephone service (there were no all day call options and the like with it but calls to family abroad were very cheap) but overall the triple Virgin services offer more and better value for me.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13   #55
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
This is why devices like the Siemens A580IP exist.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 00:01   #56
snazz
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV and telephone. Ex NTL customer
snazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I've been a member here for years, but have never posted. I've been a customer since the 90s - first of all with Cable & Wireless, then NTL and now Virgin. I, like others on this thread am in Area 20 (Brighton) and have today phoned 150 regards caller display to be told for the umpteenth time that caller display is still not available. I'm truly staggered by this. I was told that the emphasis is on TV services such as HDTV and therefore there's no push to get caller display out to everyone.

I asked about moving my line to BT because caller display is important to me. Yes, I can move my line but I'd still have to pay line rental because of my TV package. This seems outrageous to me. If Virgin cannot, or will not provide a basic service, why should they hold people to line rental when another company can provide the service they want?

Having signed up so many years ago, surely I now have the right to move my line whilst retaining my cable tv services.

Anyway, I want to make an issue of this with Virgin - how do I go about it? Who do I contact? I know ... they'll not do anything for me etc etc ...!!!
snazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:13   #57
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazz View Post
Hi everyone

I've been a member here for years, but have never posted. I've been a customer since the 90s - first of all with Cable & Wireless, then NTL and now Virgin. I, like others on this thread am in Area 20 (Brighton) and have today phoned 150 regards caller display to be told for the umpteenth time that caller display is still not available. I'm truly staggered by this. I was told that the emphasis is on TV services such as HDTV and therefore there's no push to get caller display out to everyone.

I asked about moving my line to BT because caller display is important to me. Yes, I can move my line but I'd still have to pay line rental because of my TV package. This seems outrageous to me. If Virgin cannot, or will not provide a basic service, why should they hold people to line rental when another company can provide the service they want?

Having signed up so many years ago, surely I now have the right to move my line whilst retaining my cable tv services.

Anyway, I want to make an issue of this with Virgin - how do I go about it? Who do I contact? I know ... they'll not do anything for me etc etc ...!!!
All areas are being upgraded this year, no point in complaining now... if you want to move your 'phone service over to BT then you can, but you may lose discounts on your other services.

Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:53   #58
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazz View Post
Hi everyone

[LEFT][LEFT][LEFT][CENTER][RIGHT]I've been a member here for years, but have never posted. I've been a customer since the 90s - first of all with Cable & Wireless, then NTL and now Virgin. I, like others on this thread am in Area 20 (Brighton) and have today phoned 150 regards caller display to be told for the umpteenth time that caller display is still not available. I'm truly staggered by this. I was told that the emphasis is on TV services such as HDTV and therefore there's no push to get caller display out to everyone.

Hello, I am in a similar position but have only been a customer since December 09. I was told prior to ordering that caller ID was available, I took the 2 months free TV + BB offer as I was advised the offer was soon to expire and I still had BT for over a month as I paid quarterly and it was only when BT was due to be disconnected and I phoned Virgin to order caller ID that I found it was not available.

I called the retentions team and advised them I wanted to get rid of the phone which they usually charge £80 to cancel early but they offered to waive this and the monthly sub would have been reduced by £2.60. However if I decided to wait until caller id was avaialble and sign a new 12 month contract they reduced the total sub to £40.75 which I accepted, the new contract started 23 March and when I got the bill for April they also added the £2.49 increase for line rental and XL TV from April 1 so I only got the offer for 9 days!. I called retentions again and they said this was wrong so it is now £40.24, I dont know how they came to this figure as its slightly less than the original offer. I also got a reduced cost V+ box but this offer is available to everyone now.

You might want to call 150 and choose option 2 and 2 again and tell them your thinking of removing the phone. If I had not been offered this deal I would definitely have got shut of the phone but then again there would have been no charge for reconnecting to BT for me.
Old 10-04-2010, 16:44   #59
snazz
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV and telephone. Ex NTL customer
snazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Digital Fanatic and thanks for that info. If they really are upgrading this year then I'll hold on. I wish when we phone 150 that they would give us this sort of information instead of being told they have no idea!! A big thanks to you!

Mersey70, thanks also for your info. I hadn't realised that there was a retentions team (which of course, logically there would be!!). Given Digital Fanatic's information, I shall call 150 again anyway and see if I can push them for further information and go from there.
snazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 12:41   #60
agrajag
Inactive

Services: TV XL, BB L
agrajag is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Caller Display is currently available in Swindon (Area 31)? I am to be connected in the next couple of weeks and not having CLI could be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for any info.
Andy
agrajag is offline   Reply With Quote