Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

Old 12-06-2012, 22:43   #196
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: Raspberry Pi - a revolution?

parcel force at last says mines on the way
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2012, 22:24   #197
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've been given a date when I will be invited to place your order for a Raspberry Pi.

Tuesday 26 June with a 12 week lead time
Old 17-06-2012, 22:34   #198
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I placed my order on the 25th May with a 5 week lead time. Wish it would hurry up.
Old 26-06-2012, 16:48   #199
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Got mine today, going to have a play later, anyone got any tips?
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 16:54   #200
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Got mine today, going to have a play later, anyone got any tips?
it doesn't actually taste of raspberry...
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 16:55   #201
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Well it CAN do - but mine didn't like being dipped in Raspberry syrup!
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 16:57   #202
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Well it CAN do - but mine didn't like being dipped in Raspberry syrup!
ok, let me rephrase that then... It _shouldn't_ actually taste of raspberry
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 17:14   #203
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Just brought a cheap keyboard from local shop and its not compataible with it so i need to get one from asda that works with it
Old 26-06-2012, 18:34   #204
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Just brought a cheap keyboard from local shop and its not compataible with it so i need to get one from asda that works with it
I'd be interested to know what keyboard you bought - must have been a ps2 one? or maybe a wireless one?

Anyway you should read through this

http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide

Before you go on.

Also visit the section for beginners mentioned in the link.
Old 26-06-2012, 18:36   #205
nstokes
Inactive

i managed to to find a small logic 3 ps3 wifi keybaord and that worked and loads fine but i cant sort out screen res. There is no config.txt file and it says i dont have permission to write to the boot folder. and before anyone asks i have checked the lock on sd card
Old 26-06-2012, 18:40   #206
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
i managed to to find a small logic 3 ps3 wifi keybaord and that worked and loads fine but i cant sort out screen res. There is no config.txt file and it says i dont have permission to write to the boot folder. and before anyone asks i have checked the lock on sd card
You have to create the config.txt in /boot/ if you want to override the default (which it picks up on boot) screen resolution.

I can't emphasize how much help the proper forums are for this

Also have a look at this

http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

for config.txt options. - (Use with caution)

Oh and try using (putting) sudo in front of a command to get permissions to edit stuff in /boot/

Think about creating a sudo password.
Old 26-06-2012, 18:44   #207
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
You have to create the config.txt in /boot/ if you want to override the default (which it picks up on boot) screen resolution.

I can't emphasize how much help the proper forums are for this

Also have a look at this

http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

for config.txt options. - (Use with caution)

Oh and try using (putting) sudo in front of a command to get permissions to edit stuff in /boot/

Think about creating a sudo password.
I am unable to create one as says dont have permission. Ill have a look at forums on RPI site and see if any issues there
Old 26-06-2012, 18:46   #208
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Are you using the sudo command?

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Old 26-06-2012, 18:56   #209
nstokes
Inactive

i was mistyping it so now sorted that but becasue the keybaord i am using is a little crappy thing and was for ps3 typing it has no = key so need to go to asda tomorrow to get a keybaord
Old 26-06-2012, 18:57   #210
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Yup - probably best to start off with a cheapo usb

I use putty and vnc with mine depending what i what i want to do with it most of the time.