Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future for linear TV channels

Old 30-04-2016, 13:35   #901
TVWatcher

Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
For the purposes of this thread, they are pretty similar and I don't know why you would want to confuse the debate with unnecessary technical detail.
Or 'facts' as they're commonly known.

Steaming linear content is not the same as video on demand because linear content is scheduled and so is no more on demand than tuning to BBC 1 or ITV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY
All anyone needs to understand in my argument is my assertion that VOD and streaming services will take over from our conventional broadcast channels.
Except that a steamed version of BBC One or ITV is no different than a broadcast version other than being more expensive for the company to operate and so there's no reason why either broadcaster would make that platform shift.
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2016, 18:41   #902
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVWatcher View Post
Or 'facts' as they're commonly known.

Steaming linear content is not the same as video on demand because linear content is scheduled and so is no more on demand than tuning to BBC 1 or ITV.

Except that a steamed version of BBC One or ITV is no different than a broadcast version other than being more expensive for the company to operate and so there's no reason why either broadcaster would make that platform shift.
I could make some bombastic statement now regarding the difference between 'steaming' and 'streaming', but I won't, you see, because I know what you meant.

This argument has never been made on the Netflix/Streaming Services thread, so why it should be raised now and made into some big issue, I fail to understand. Whatever you want to call it, I think most people understand the nature of this argument.

Yes, I accept that there is a technical difference between VOD and streaming, but to the man in the Clapham omnibus, they are the same. And it makes absolutely no difference to my argument.

In terms of the point made about conventional channels being cheaper, it should be remembered that the broadcasters are committed and have already switched to VOD/streaming via the players.

My point is that it will not make commercial sense to run both systems when the conventional channels no longer bring in the required amount of advertising revenue unless alternative income streams can be found. This is the whole basis of this thread.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 00:02   #903
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

In other news, missus accidentally took out a trial membership of Amazon Prime last weekend, so we have connected a computer to the TV and have watched almost entirely streamed content for the last 7 days.

We have about another 15 episodes of Outlander to get through before the trial ends. Then it's back to linear TV for us.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:30   #904
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes Linear TV is strong and well as it will still be in 20 years time and streaming services will be a nice little add on for customers who want a little bit extra on top that just complements their normal Linear TV viewing.
Old 02-05-2016, 16:39   #905
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

This is what Mike Fries had to say on the subject last August.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/...e-will-decline

"The amount of money Liberty Global spend on linear channel carriage will decline and shift to online rights, digital rights, On Demand rights, and SVOD rights."

This is clearly the trend and I can't see that stopping any time soon. It probably also explains why we aren't getting many new TV channels on Virgin Media these days.
Old 02-05-2016, 17:59   #906
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes Linear TV is strong and well as it will still be in 20 years time and streaming services will be a nice little add on for customers who want a little bit extra on top that just complements their normal Linear TV viewing.

I have no doubts that linear TV will continue Den, live sport itself dictates that it must continue, but you cannot dispute a lot of the points that OB has made with regards to how ppl watch TV nowadays, and in the future, I hardly know anyone who makes a point of watching, say, Coronation Street or that other wrist slitting dark soap called Eastenders, at the time it's scheduled, lots of ppl use on demand or even record these programs so that they can watch them when they choose, gone are the days of having to be sat in front of your TV screen to watch something at the scheduled time.
I think OB was wrong when he said that linear TV wouldn't be around in 20 years or so, but he has made valid points with regards to on demand and how ppl watch TV, it's definitely changing imo.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 23:23   #907
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Linear TV will always be around, but in my opinion, linear TV channels will not be.

In the future we will be watching linear TV via streaming services.
Old 02-05-2016, 23:28   #908
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I'm sure Hugh replied to my post a few hours ago, but it seems to have disappeared!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 23:49   #909
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'm sure Hugh replied to my post a few hours ago, but it seems to have disappeared!
i did, but the CBA factor took over, so I removed it...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 23:51   #910
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Linear TV will always be around, but in my opinion, linear TV channels will not be.

In the future we will be watching linear TV via streaming services.
TBH i can't remember the last time i connected a ariel or sattelite to my tv, my tv is all via on demand services and live streams as many know i have a USA tv sub.
Directv have announced plans to launch a online service as have comcast too, interesting times ahead i think.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 13:34   #911
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Interesting to see a VOD service looking to expand to include linear channel content:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201605034...#axzz47axSsG9Y
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 16:20   #912
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Interesting to see a VOD service looking to expand to include linear channel content:

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201605034...#axzz47axSsG9Y
It's a sensible thing to do while linear TV channels remain popular.
Old 04-05-2016, 15:49   #913
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post

Moving on to your drastically changed point, if the bulk viewing of linear TV viewing moves to online streaming (which it may well do) and it is cheaper for businesses to run, then, as you have said, linear TV channels will still be operating. If linear TV channels are still operating, and Sky etc are not dead (which you have said they won't be - I fully agree that they will), they will be able to extend there advertizing online, be able to run cheaper linear TV channels on line and offer a lower price point for customers on can't afford Sky currently, but want more than now tv can offer. As such, they can get more money from on line subscribers, and also advertizers. When this happens, people will still be watching conventional broadcast channels, and will be able to continue to do so, because the extra revenue gained from online profits, will be able to offset some of the potential losses from conventional tv channels. Even you wish to disregard the thought of online subsidizing conventional, if the bulk of viewing linear tv moves online, the viewership will still be the same, and as a result, the ad revenues wont change, thus no need for the channels to die.

Which ever way you wish to skin this particular cat, conventional broadcast will still be around in 20 years. More importantly, your many, many assumptions, which have mutated drastically, are still deeply flawed.
OB, I am sorry my incredibly long posts (which yours never are, obviously) are too much for you, as you said in your last response to me, perhaps you would actually like to discuss the topic you have been desperate for us all to talk about. So let's discuss my quote you have not yet discussed, and discuss that only. After all, the less drivel you write, the less I have to respond to, and as a result there will be shorter posts.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:43   #914
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

There will be no distinction between linear and broadcast tv in James Murdoch's plans for the future.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...t-consumption/
Old 06-05-2016, 11:39   #915
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Looks like YouTube is joining the linear TV streaming party next year.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...rvice-for-2017

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

Quote:
There will be no distinction between linear and broadcast tv in James Murdoch's plans for the future.

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...t-consumption/
I think that's pretty much what a lot of us on this thread have been saying.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote