Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2017, 18:22   #106
denphone
Still alive and happy
 
denphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 44,688
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why exactly do you think the 2018 World Cup will not be shown in 4k in the UK, given the information I have provided? I agree it's not certain that we will get it, but saying there's no prospect of it happening ignores the fact that the beeb have already completed trials on their player.
Personally l cannot see UHD channels happening on the terrestrial channels.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But if an opinion is to be taken seriously, should not a reason for the opinion be given?
l think you overplay and use too much hyperbole on issues like streaming taking over from Linear TV and of Linear TV disappearing , UHD and how the sports rights market will play out as l have not seen anything to suggest that what you state in your future world is actually happening IMO.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2017, 18:49   #107
Dave42
cf.mega poster
 
Dave42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jarrow Tyne & Wear
Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Posts: 4,372
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It isn't, Dave. The problem is, it's not a fact. It's your view, that is all.

It is a fact, however, that the BBC have been trialling UHD broadcasting through the i-Player. Given that, I am saying that if there is going to be a World Cup feed, the Beeb are equipped to bring this to the UK audience.

I don't really understand why you are having doubts about this. Please explain.
then tell us where UHD BBC and ITV channels are OB you cant they don't exist FACT
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 19:04   #108
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,215
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
then tell us where UHD BBC and ITV channels are OB you cant they don't exist FACT
Once again, if UHD comes to the BBC in time for the World Cup, it will be through the BBC i-Player.

Clearly, the ability to do so is there because trials have already taken place.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally l cannot see UHD channels happening on the terrestrial channels.
I said it would appear on the i-Player. Why do you and Dave keep referring to the broadcast channels? I have not said that such a channel will appear soon.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 19:15   #109
Dave42
cf.mega poster
 
Dave42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jarrow Tyne & Wear
Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Posts: 4,372
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Once again, if UHD comes to the BBC in time for the World Cup, it will be through the BBC i-Player.

Clearly, the ability to do so is there because trials have already taken place.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------


I said it would appear on the i-Player. Why do you and Dave keep referring to the broadcast channels? I have not said that such a channel will appear soon.
why you keep saying it not a FACT when even you know it is there UHD channels don't exist
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 23:22   #110
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,215
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
why you keep saying it not a FACT when even you know it is there UHD channels don't exist
I think you should actually read my posts before responding, Dave. You keep repeating questions I've already answered.

You aren't a robot, are you?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 00:21   #111
Dave42
cf.mega poster
 
Dave42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jarrow Tyne & Wear
Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Posts: 4,372
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think you should actually read my posts before responding, Dave. You keep repeating questions I've already answered.

You aren't a robot, are you?
and you should read my post OB I stated a FACT bbc and itv don't have UHD channels you kept saying it not a fact when it clearly is
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 01:00   #112
Mad Max
cf.mega poster
 
Mad Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,994
Mad Max has reached the bronze age
Mad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze ageMad Max has reached the bronze age
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
and you should read my post OB I stated a FACT bbc and itv don't have UHD channels you kept saying it not a fact when it clearly is

Ok, but do you agree with OB that the BBC have the ability to transmit UHD content through the i-Player?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 01:15   #113
Dave42
cf.mega poster
 
Dave42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jarrow Tyne & Wear
Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Posts: 4,372
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Ok, but do you agree with OB that the BBC have the ability to transmit UHD content through the i-Player?
I never said it didn't have the ability to do that will it we have to wait and see on that
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 10:03   #114
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,215
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
since bbc or itv don't have UHD and unlikely too by June no
Actually, Dave, this is the post that you originally put on here. You went on to argue that this was a fact.

It is certainly a fact that broadcast UHD channels do not currently exist. No argument about that.

But are you seriously basing your argument on there never being UHD channels in the future? That is, because there are no such channels now, there never will be?

In any case, I have explained to you a few times that the BBC i-Player has already demonstrated its capability to provide us with UHD pictures - I've seen the video myself on my Sony UHD TV, and it was excellent quality.

Given that the feed will be provided by FIFA, this makes the Beeb's job an awful lot easier. This is an excellent opportunity for the BBC to make their mark in the UHD world. It would certainly be a national embarrassment if other European countries were able to bring the World Cup to their citizens and the 'once mighty' UK could not.

I see absolutely no reason for the BBC not rising to this challenge. Why do you not see it this way?

---------- Post added at 09:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
I never said it didn't have the ability to do that will it we have to wait and see on that
Well, that clears that up, then.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 11:43   #115
Dave42
cf.mega poster
 
Dave42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jarrow Tyne & Wear
Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Posts: 4,372
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

the first post I didn't say fact OB the post I said fact on was there no UHD channels of course in time there will be UHD channels but long way off yet
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 11:45   #116
denphone
Still alive and happy
 
denphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 44,688
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
the first post I didn't say fact OB the post I said fact on was there no UHD channels of course in time there will be UHD channels but long way off yet
A very long way off Dave.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 11:48   #117
Dave42
cf.mega poster
 
Dave42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jarrow Tyne & Wear
Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Posts: 4,372
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A very long way off Dave.
Exactly Den bbc and ITV haven't even got all regional programs in HD yet never mind UHD
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 12:02   #118
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,215
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
the first post I didn't say fact OB the post I said fact on was there no UHD channels of course in time there will be UHD channels but long way off yet
Well, the important point is we have established that the 'fact' you were referring to related to the current lack of any UHD channels.

The thing you never made clear was why you thought it extremely unlikely that the World Cup would be screened in UHD on the BBC i-Player, which was my actual point. I guess we are not going to get any further on that. Not long before we have the answer, I guess.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 12:26   #119
denphone
Still alive and happy
 
denphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 44,688
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Exactly Den bbc and ITV haven't even got all regional programs in HD yet never mind UHD
And how many more years is it going to take for them to do that Dave as the BBC have had their money cut for quite a while now thus things get delayed or even shelved sadly.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 12:40   #120
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,215
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And how many more years is it going to take for them to do that Dave as the BBC have had their money cut for quite a while now thus things get delayed or even shelved sadly.
This is nothing to do with HD for the regions. This is about UHD nationally, which we have seen has been trialled already on the i-Player.

However, if you want to talk about the lack of HD in the regions, that's fine by me, but it's not really in keeping with this thread.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:29.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.