Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2017, 18:25   #3781
daveeb
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 384
daveeb is a name known to alldaveeb is a name known to alldaveeb is a name known to alldaveeb is a name known to alldaveeb is a name known to alldaveeb is a name known to alldaveeb is a name known to alldaveeb is a name known to all
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I watched the whole first series, thought it was excellent.
I'll second that. Hopefully a second series in the pipeline.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2017, 19:16   #3782
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,407
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

From 27/11/17 the Curzon Home Cinema Freesat app will no longer be available on Freesat set top boxes or the web app.

Does this suggest that they are closing down altogether? Anyone heard anything?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 11:48   #3783
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,245
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

This judgement appears to clarify that streaming premium content through subscribed IPTV services or any other means that avoids paying the correct subscription to Sky is unlawful.

So the authorities are not just prosecuting suppliers of fully loaded Kodi boxes and those who share pirated material, they are also going after individual viewers now.

Huge implications for those who are receiving premium material in this way - and the fine if you're caught is eye watering. It's only a matter of time now before Sky's legal team get a legal authorisation from IPTV providers to find out who subscribes to their services to access illegally acquired content. Frankly, I'd be pretty worried at this point if I was taking advantage of this situation. They will be able to go back six years to bring forward a court case against you.

I did warn previously about the dangers of watching premium content in this way and received a firm rebuke from some that it was not illegal. I am not happy that I was proved right on this occasion, because this will prove to have been a very costly mistake for those who believed comments made that people who did this were doing nothing wrong.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8020856.html
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 12:19   #3784
denphone
Still alive and happy
 
denphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 44,728
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

It was inevitable that that there would be a end game that is for sure OB.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 12:44   #3785
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,245
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It was inevitable that that there would be a end game that is for sure OB.
Yes. The only good thing that will come out of this is that stamping out piracy in this way may help prices to come down (or at least not go up by as much as they would have done otherwise).

The fine imposed on individuals does sound a bit steep, though. And why aren't they closing down the IPTV providers? They are there large as life, it's not as if they've gone underground!
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 13:30   #3786
theone2k10
There can only be one
 
theone2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: between Mars and Venus
Age: 38
Services: Plusnet 80mb unlimited fibre, roku, appletv, xfinity, netflix, nowtv, foxsoccer2go, hbogo
Posts: 3,751
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
This judgement appears to clarify that streaming premium content through subscribed IPTV services or any other means that avoids paying the correct subscription to Sky is unlawful.

So the authorities are not just prosecuting suppliers of fully loaded Kodi boxes and those who share pirated material, they are also going after individual viewers now.

Huge implications for those who are receiving premium material in this way - and the fine if you're caught is eye watering. It's only a matter of time now before Sky's legal team get a legal authorisation from IPTV providers to find out who subscribes to their services to access illegally acquired content. Frankly, I'd be pretty worried at this point if I was taking advantage of this situation. They will be able to go back six years to bring forward a court case against you.

I did warn previously about the dangers of watching premium content in this way and received a firm rebuke from some that it was not illegal. I am not happy that I was proved right on this occasion, because this will prove to have been a very costly mistake for those who believed comments made that people who did this were doing nothing wrong.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8020856.html
I'm not worried in the slightest as i use a vpn.
Also the one in this case was streaming it not viewing it and as a civil matter he can say "no thanks" to legal costs and the worst case is bailiffs who can be told to do one if it's a residential property and they don't get in.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 13:44   #3787
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,245
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I'm not worried in the slightest as i use a vpn.
Also the one in this case was streaming it not viewing it and as a civil matter he can say "no thanks" to legal costs and the worst case is bailiffs who can be told to do one if it's a residential property and they don't get in.
But a vpn won't be much use to znyone who subscribes to IPTV services. The evidence will be there on the accounts ledgers!

Actually, the worst case is not the bailiffs, it's imprisonment for failing to pay the fine that will get you in the end.

It doesn't matter whether the individual concerned was watching the pirated material. It has now been established that you are committing an offence simply by streaming it, which is the breakthrough Sky needed.

I don't think anyone should be resting on their laurels about this. So many people seem to think the future will never catch up with them because they are getting away with it now. How wrong they are always proven to be.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 14:55   #3788
theone2k10
There can only be one
 
theone2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: between Mars and Venus
Age: 38
Services: Plusnet 80mb unlimited fibre, roku, appletv, xfinity, netflix, nowtv, foxsoccer2go, hbogo
Posts: 3,751
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But a vpn won't be much use to znyone who subscribes to IPTV services. The evidence will be there on the accounts ledgers!

Actually, the worst case is not the bailiffs, it's imprisonment for failing to pay the fine that will get you in the end.

It doesn't matter whether the individual concerned was watching the pirated material. It has now been established that you are committing an offence simply by streaming it, which is the breakthrough Sky needed.

I don't think anyone should be resting on their laurels about this. So many people seem to think the future will never catch up with them because they are getting away with it now. How wrong they are always proven to be.
Ah i've read the article again it refers to kodi addons etc not the methods i use aka us tv login and network sites such as cw, fox etc.
I personally have disconnected my android tv box with kodi although the box nor kodi itself is illegal it just made more sense to buy a mini windows pc and use that as it gets everything no problem.
But a vpn certainly does protect you regardless.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 17:19   #3789
buckeye
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 106
buckeye is a jewel in the roughbuckeye is a jewel in the roughbuckeye is a jewel in the roughbuckeye is a jewel in the roughbuckeye is a jewel in the rough
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

There's a more comprehensive article about this case here:-

https://torrentfreak.com/high-court-...g-case-171026/

My views about the dangers for people who are not IT literate on using illicit streams and also handing over payment details to those charging for such services are well documented on these forums already.
This is one of the few places where people seemed to have actually listened to what I've said,
unfortunately for the most part I seem to have been whistling in the wind for the past few years with these warnings.
Most people put their blinkers on where their free/cheap streams are concerned.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 18:43   #3790
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Full House with Sky Cinema; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 5,245
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
OLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appealOLD BOY has a bronzed appeal
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
There's a more comprehensive article about this case here:-

https://torrentfreak.com/high-court-...g-case-171026/

My views about the dangers for people who are not IT literate on using illicit streams and also handing over payment details to those charging for such services are well documented on these forums already.
This is one of the few places where people seemed to have actually listened to what I've said,
unfortunately for the most part I seem to have been whistling in the wind for the past few years with these warnings.
Most people put their blinkers on where their free/cheap streams are concerned.
Yes, people need to be aware that they are entrusting their bank/credit card details to criminal organisations.

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Ah i've read the article again it refers to kodi addons etc not the methods i use aka us tv login and network sites such as cw, fox etc.
I personally have disconnected my android tv box with kodi although the box nor kodi itself is illegal it just made more sense to buy a mini windows pc and use that as it gets everything no problem.
But a vpn certainly does protect you regardless.
I certainly think that your method is the safest, but I'd keep on your toes, if I were you.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 19:11   #3791
theone2k10
There can only be one
 
theone2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: between Mars and Venus
Age: 38
Services: Plusnet 80mb unlimited fibre, roku, appletv, xfinity, netflix, nowtv, foxsoccer2go, hbogo
Posts: 3,751
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, people need to be aware that they are entrusting their bank/credit card details to criminal organisations.

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------


I certainly think that your method is the safest, but I'd keep on your toes, if I were you.
Oh certainly keeping a eye on it but if SKY made it easier to use SKYGo without using awful silverlight or needing to sub to skygo extra i wouldn't need to do such things.
I mean BT have a app for BT sports on windows 10 surely sky can do the same it'd make life a lot easier lol.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 19:48   #3792
johnathome
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Waterlooville
Services: 50Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC.
Posts: 790
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

The guy was actually uploading it to other users, although it was ruled earlier this year in the ECJ that streaming was illegal.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 20:25   #3793
theone2k10
There can only be one
 
theone2k10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: between Mars and Venus
Age: 38
Services: Plusnet 80mb unlimited fibre, roku, appletv, xfinity, netflix, nowtv, foxsoccer2go, hbogo
Posts: 3,751
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
The guy was actually uploading it to other users, although it was ruled earlier this year in the ECJ that streaming was illegal.
It's a civil matter the thing with the press is you have one lot saying one thing and another saying something else.
As you correctly said this guy was providing content, same as earlier cases they were people selling the boxes.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 23:59   #3794
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,407
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Disregarding the rights of wrongs of this, it amazes me that the authorities have time to pursue this sort of thing to protect the rich film studios, whilst at the same time say that, for example, online paedophiles & some burglaries won't be investigated due to a lack of resources.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 00:09   #3795
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,841
1andrew1 has reached the bronze age
1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age1andrew1 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Disregarding the rights of wrongs of this, it amazes me that the authorities have time to pursue this sort of thing to protect the rich film studios, whilst at the same time say that, for example, online paedophiles & some burglaries won't be investigated due to a lack of resources.
I'm not sure you're correct here. Are you saying that stealing online content is less of a theft than stealing a DVD from a shop? And that the only people who lose out are the studios and no one else? And what evidence is there that online paedophiles are not being investigated?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:50.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.