Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin N1 Wireless Router & Virgin BB Setup - Help Please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin N1 Wireless Router & Virgin BB Setup - Help Please

Old 27-03-2008, 00:25   #1
oxandkaz
Inactive

oxandkaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Belkin N1 Wireless Router & Virgin BB Setup - Help Please

Have just attempted to install the Belkin N1 Wireless Router (F5D8231-4 v5000-UK) following the supplied instructions.

The PC connected directly to the router has an internet connection however the internet icon on the router is flashing indicating that there is a problem somewhere along the line. We also have a Sonos Zoneplayer connected directly to the router which should pick up internet radio but this device can't connect to the internet though it shows up on the internal network.

Have been reading some of the threads and have come across some info referring to MAC addresses and issues with the Virgin Scientific Atlantic modem but it all got a bit complicated.

BTW this is the second router in a week we have tried to install - the first being a DLink Dir-635 but this too had problems with dropping internet pages etc.

Can anyone please help - I'm tearing my hair out!!!
oxandkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2008, 00:45   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Belkin N1 Wireless Router & Virgin BB Setup - Help Please

Did you power off the modem before connecting the router via ethernet?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 07:36   #3
oxandkaz
Inactive

oxandkaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep that was the first thing we did. sine installing we have done the power cycle of everything, leaving it all off etc for 5 or more mins and even overnight! Still the same problem this morning.
oxandkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 09:54   #4
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

have you loghged intothe router web interface to make sure it is getting a valid IP address? are you hard wired or wireless to the router? i havea d-link 635 and dont have any issues at all with it
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2008, 12:07   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Presumably you have tried a different ethernet cable between the modem and router WAN port? I assume there is only the router connected direct to the modem, nothing else by USB.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 20:36   #6
Straydog
Inactive

Straydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everbody.

I am having the exact problem. Spoke to Belkin, they gave me an IP address to insert in the the 'DNS server address' box of the properties of TCP/IP of the Local Area Connection. This address was totally different from what Virgin had supplied, it worked, although the Internet symbol of the router continued to flash orange. Twelve hours later, the Internet connection totally failed again. Any Ideas?
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 20:58   #7
Babu
Inactive

Services: Sky TV BT Fibre Broadband
Babu will become famous soon enoughBabu will become famous soon enoughBabu will become famous soon enough

I have the same router except it's an older version (2). I have no problems with the setup. The router gets a dynamic address from the modem and I have set the DNS lookups as 194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100.

I have 1 desktop and 1 laptop. Both these machines connect wirelessly. I also have a Slim Devices player that also connects wirelessly. I have used static ip addresses for both the computers and also for the streaming player.

Have you got the latest firmware for the router and the client cards?
Babu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 21:25   #8
Straydog
Inactive

Hi Babu.

Thanks for the reply. I will go and get the lastest firmware updates to see if that will help. When you refer to 'DNS lookups', is that on the router or on your computers? Any ideas of what all the correct IP adresses and settings that should be used for the router and computer on Virgin Broadband?

The guys at Belkin did not seem to be too concerned about the Internet symbol flashing orange. Should I be? I would have thought it should be in constant blue to be working correctly, like the rest of the symbols on the router are.
Old 04-06-2008, 23:34   #9
Babu
Inactive

Services: Sky TV BT Fibre Broadband
Babu will become famous soon enoughBabu will become famous soon enoughBabu will become famous soon enough

DNS lookups are set on the router under the Internet WAN section. Under the TCP setting on the desktop and laptop, I have given static addresses and the default gateway and preferred DNS server point to the router address (192.168.2.1).
Babu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:49   #10
Straydog
Inactive

Hi Babu.

Thanks for the information that you have supplied me, it worked! I changed the DNS lookups on the router to match what you had, and within a minute the Internet was up and running. The orange flashing Internet symbol on the Belkin router went straight to constant blue and has been like that ever since. It appears that Virgin had given the wrong settings for some reason. Once again, thanks for your help, it was greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2009, 23:39   #11
Jimbo76
Inactive

Jimbo76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Thought I would just add to this thread rather then starting a new one, I have a Belkin N1 router and had similar problems to the OP, I have a scinetific atlanta WebSTAR EPC2100R2 modem... to be honest it looks like something from the stoneage.

I have already had one belkin N1 replaced by Belkin and now have the version 3000 one, the internet will randomly drop out and the light will flash orange.

I have also changed my computer in the meantime so I have another ethernet adaptor.

My questions are;

Does changing my pc effect the mac address, the ethernet adaptor on my pc is logged in the routers mac address section.

could there be a problem with the modem when connected up to the router, modem seems to work ok when not connected to the router?

Any help or advice would be appreciated, telephoned virgin and some lady gave me some dns setting and said that I had NTL when should be virgin telewest??
Jimbo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 13:39   #12
shaunhuk
Inactive

shaunhuk is on a distinguished roadshaunhuk is on a distinguished road

You may have already solved this as the last post on this thread is a couple of weeks old.

Anyway, the Belkin N1 Vision has a known problem where it will hang/freeze/disconnect regularly.

The problem is caused by the router attempting to connect to a timeserver to update its clock every two hours. If the connection fails for whatever reason, the router will hang.

There is a beta firmware upgrade available on the Belkin site that addresses this problem.

Here is a link:

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/art...=9277&scid=282

This is for the cable version of the router rather than the ADSL version.

Hope this helps.
shaunhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 18:45   #13
I'm-a-visitor
Inactive

I'm-a-visitor is on a distinguished roadI'm-a-visitor is on a distinguished road

Hi All.

I've been struggleing for quite a while with my Belkin N1 Vision on Virgin.

I have had to clone a Mac address to get on line and after some time, that Mac address also failed.

I recently went onto Virgin's 50Meg service (which is brilliant) but I had more problems and eventually my N1 was unusable.

I got onto tech support as I have many times before, but this time, I found myself talking to a support engineer who has an N1 vision at home. He told me it was a problem with my DOCSIS file (which is on the Virgin network not in my PC or router). He forced a new copy into my config, told me to wait an hour then everything would be fine. It's early days, but my router is now running on its original Mac address, which didn't work even on the day I bought it.

If you're having problems, why not suggest this to Virgin the next time you call tech support. You never know.

Best of luck.
I'm-a-visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 18:49   #14
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

to the forums! Useful first post...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote