Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UBR up-grades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UBR up-grades

Old 09-04-2008, 17:23   #16
kingabs
Inactive

kingabs is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: UBR up-grades

5:22pm and still going strong no traffic management wow

kingabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2008, 20:16   #17
kingabs
Inactive

Here we go traffic management started at 7pm running at 5mbs now lets hope this goes back up from 9pm.
Old 09-04-2008, 21:59   #18
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingabs View Post
Here we go traffic management started at 7pm running at 5mbs now lets hope this goes back up from 9pm.
It normally lasts for 5 hours, so triggering at 7pm will be back up, theoretically, at midnight...
Old 09-04-2008, 22:19   #19
kingabs
Inactive

i think i can survive till midnight. just glad i can actually view web pages unlike before.
Old 13-04-2008, 16:05   #20
jimrobo
Inactive

jimrobo is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been given 3 different dates now. Each month when it gets to a week before the previous date they gave me I given another date a month later. Its so frustrating. Just out of interest for the guys that have had the upgrade. How did you complain? Letter? Phone calls? Watchdog???
jimrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 01:46   #21
kingabs
Inactive

well

one the first day of our area getting upgraded we had traffic management for 5 hours since then i have been getting 20mbs 24/7
Old 14-04-2008, 06:18   #22
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Network upgrade for Oldham tomorrow and the day after, hope they don't bodge it.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 19:34   #23
Berealwith
Inactive

Berealwith is on a distinguished roadBerealwith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
Network upgrade for Oldham tomorrow and the day after, hope they don't bodge it.
I hope all goes fine you you. Please keep us informed. When i started this thread i knew that there are alot of people in the same position(Sticking it out, and waiting for thier UBR upgrade)by the amount of views, im sure this proves it.

I too have had dates that have been and gone. I have what i hope a firm date in 4 weeks i do hope it works out for me and the rest of the people on my UBR.

What i might add this is the last dance for me if this day goes and nothing improves....."the fat lady will sing"

I have helpped lots of friends and neigbours with thier connections, and i have got one guy to go with "Be", more for me to see what speed he gets. that was a month ago and he has the 8mb value and is only a few doors down
i am glad to report after dropping in on him, he gets 7mb in the evening and his web pages open so fast it almost reminds of the days when i was on 10mb blueyonder LOL...so cheers for the feedback from the people who have posted on thier upgrades....i Just wish out of the 1000+ more would have posted
Berealwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 22:51   #24
slowcoach
Inactive

slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

UPDATE as requested:
We had planned network updates for Oldham between Midnight and 6am on Tuesday 15/04/08 and Wednesday 16/04/08, during Wednesday after rebooting the modem I tried to determine if the upgrades had gone ahead or not. Just to be sure I also checked speeds during Thursday as well.

Modem settings:
When I had an Ambit (ntl) 200 modem my Downstream Receive Power Level used to be about +8 or +9 dBmV, after the modem was swapped to a 255 model a while back the Downstream Receive Power Level jumped to +12 or +13 dBmV.
Checking the modem settings on Wednesday the Downstream Receive Power Level is now -4.1 dBmV which does indicate that some changes did take place.
No other modem settings appear to have altered and the connection never dropped.

Browsing:
I have never been impressed previously with cable's browsing speed and I always put it down to a characteristic of the cable network, however, during Wednesday and Thursday browsing was a good deal faster than ever before with sites loading instantly, jumping from site to site is really impressive now, busy sites still have a delay but that is due to the site server struggling to cope.

Download Speed:
On Wednesday with 10 connections to known fast servers I was getting 19Mb/s from early morning through to around 8.00PM, which is unusual as speed usually drops to 10mb/s or less around 4.00PM. At 8.00PM the speed did drop to 10Mb/s until Midnight (perhaps the update had only been partially done) at which time it went back to 19Mb/s.
On Thursday (tonight) the speed only dropped to 18Mb/s at 8.30PM but was back to 19Mb/s from 9.00PM.
Peak time speed has been impressive tonight but jumping from site to site is even more impressive.
One final download before posting (10.45PM) shows download speed still at 19Mb/s.

I am really happy that VM have finally sorted out the area especially as I do not have any other viable alternative, ADSL being a pathetic 512Kb max here.

System Spec:
Ambit 255 Modem (Ethernet connection)
D-Link Dl-604 router with WAN port set at 100Mb/s (Wired connection)
64Bit Debian Lenny (Testing)
Firefox version 2.0.0.12 Browser
DownThemAll Download Manager (Firefox extension)
Old 18-04-2008, 10:13   #25
Berealwith
Inactive

Many thanks for the update "Coach" i to have seen some changes here today i am just checking mine but i am gonna be busy today so it might be tomorrow for my final post. but all checks look good upto press.
Old 18-04-2008, 12:54   #26
Berealwith
Inactive

oops spoke to soon i did think it was wierd to have an earlier than quoted ubr upgrade. But i haven't seen 19mb speed tests come back for a while i just got abit excited....Now its back to the slow browser pages....it was 9.45am this mornning when i tested it
Old 18-04-2008, 13:42   #27
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

You must have been day dreaming.
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 21:14   #28
Berealwith
Inactive

ok just got back in after a long day and being stuck in a traffic jam on the M62 near leeds...only to find out that the date for my UBR upgrade the first week in May has now been changed to wait for it .............................. September......................................Wha t the hell is that all about.........just waiting on support.newsgroups to double check it .............OMG........i (Lost for words...runs off to hit something)..............Berealwith SLAMS THE DOOR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BACK IN A BIT
Old 19-04-2008, 11:10   #29
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berealwith View Post
ok just got back in after a long day and being stuck in a traffic jam on the M62 near leeds...only to find out that the date for my UBR upgrade the first week in May has now been changed to wait for it .............................. September......................................Wha t the hell is that all about.........just waiting on support.newsgroups to double check it .............OMG........i (Lost for words...runs off to hit something)..............Berealwith SLAMS THE DOOR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BACK IN A BIT
Our network upgrade notice only appeared a few days before the actual upgrade took place, I had been checking the list for a while and there was never any mention of Oldham, I was beginning to think we would never appear on the list.

Will see how it performs over this weekend, so far still downloading at 19Mb/s.
Old 19-04-2008, 11:27   #30
Berealwith
Inactive

"Berealwith" <**************> wrote in message
news:AW7Oj.76674$5o5.58614@newsfe15.ams2...
> Many thanks Quote "then we can be 100%
>>> sure the date is correct."
> .......... I am a professional person who expects 100% answers, and i'm
> sure you are to. So can we have an answer that will make it crystal clear
> what date is now set for the Preston UBR cable.ubr05.pres.blueyonder.co.uk
> upgrade.
>
<snip>

Hello Berealwith,

The date set for this UBR is 05/09/08 however this can be subject to change.

--
Kind Regards
Virgin Media Technical Support
http://status2.virginmedia.com/

Well it looks like the goal posts moved 5 months this will now be a year waiting for my "Overloaded, Oversubscribed, UBR to get its upgrade. I have seen VIRGIN go from. Christ whats in a name..........MY ISP GO FROM GOOD TO UTTER CRAP. I have poor web browsing every night sometimes dial up speeds. I work full-time so i can only use my connection what i would call normal Residential times.........Which is agreed by both parties..........so is it not what times should be given at full speed, not the other way round. Then i see complete IDIOTS say its high users, again i bought 20mb as i have 4/5 users in my family and want steady web browsing, and why should i have to justify my useage. As i have bought an UMLIMITED product. I have now emailled a high member of staff at VM and will wait an outcome to this. SO IF ANYONE IS ON THE PRESTON UBR THE NEW DATE IS AS ABOVE FOR THE WORK TO BE CARRIED OUT......could the STM Trials be the reason for the change, yet more un-answered questions from a Crap isp.......And then there is the Statement from VM CEO (Neil Berkett ) i shudder to think about this...................................and finally in the wings............Phorm.......OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in a nutshell "Where is Virgin going for the long term, all i can see is more problems, and more JUGGLING. It's been so long since i was on adsl and my last ISP was "ZEN", which is still tops for speed but they did introduce STM so i moved................and i have got a neighbour to trial "BE" and he gets good speeds.............so subject to "My last Dance" i have to speak to the VM guy, but it looks like i will be moving to "BE"........Oh i forgot to mention "Newsgroups" up and down like a yoyo....i have a topup Newsgroup i pay for so i can take that with me.........I will post more as the infomation comes in............