Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 22-11-2016, 13:29   #1321
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWB View Post
Does anyone know if you have to pay extra for the V6 box and / or renew your contract.

Also, will we all eventualy get new ones
Hopefuuly we'll get answers to this on 30/11.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2016, 13:48   #1322
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

... or even on the 28th as that is when the prices/package changes come into effect.
Old 22-11-2016, 13:53   #1323
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
I agree with everything you say above though. If the V6 does support HDR I believe that is one up on the Sky Q which doesn't...I could be wrong though.
Sky Q doesn't broadcast currently with HDR because the broadcast standard has literally only just been agreed. That doesn't mean HDR won't be introduced on Sky Q.
http://advanced-television.com/2016/...ne-uhdtv-spec/
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:10   #1324
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky Q doesn't broadcast currently with HDR because the broadcast standard has literally only just been agreed. That doesn't mean HDR won't be introduced on Sky Q.
http://advanced-television.com/2016/...ne-uhdtv-spec/
I wasn't sure, cheers for the info
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:31   #1325
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The vast majority of people have HD TVs
...and watch SD content on them! For most people, SD is fine.

Quote:
By using the SCART port, which is disabled anyway, you'd only be able to watch SD content
It would be reasonable to expect HD/UHD content to be downscaled on a SCART port. You'd still be getting the benefit of the higher bit-rate even if you weren't getting the resolution.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:51   #1326
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
...and watch SD content on them! .

And many people think that is actually HD because they know they have a HD TV.

That is not a criticism; most people don't have the interest in this kind of thing that posters on forums such as this one do.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:02   #1327
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
...and watch SD content on them! For most people, SD is fine.

It would be reasonable to expect HD/UHD content to be downscaled on a SCART port. You'd still be getting the benefit of the higher bit-rate even if you weren't getting the resolution.
You've missed the point. I've gone well off topic, so I'll shut up about SCART cables now lol
Old 22-11-2016, 15:42   #1328
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Even with an HDMI the only 4k content you'll be watching for the time being is via netflix and amazon anyway, neither of which require a V6. I do get your point about scart though, it's like insisting on still using VHS.
Surely, that's an assumption. We may well get additional UHD content via on demand and Virgin Movies.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 15:53   #1329
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Surely, that's an assumption. We may well get additional UHD content via on demand and Virgin Movies.
Lets hope so, OB. Virgin may well surprise us all. I'll keep my fingers crossed
Old 22-11-2016, 16:03   #1330
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
so I'll shut up about SCART cables now lol

No need to do that. I still have a few bits of kit that use scart, and are occasionally used. Lets not forget dear old Svideo though, by which I have one seldom used device connected
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 16:18   #1331
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

In another thread, Ben has kindly shown me how to exclude certain programmes in Wishlists.

Oddly, when I first tried, the cursor moved all over the place but where I wanted it to go to.

I tried new batteries, but it made no difference.

I rebooted the box and that cleared the problem, but had to do a 'connect to VM" as it didn't automatically connect as it used to with my old box.

My heart sank this morning with a couple of brief reappearances of the purple spinning circle, so hopefully this has resolved this too.

I wonder if the V6 will still benefit from the odd reboot; perhaps this clears the cache or something??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 16:30   #1332
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
No need to do that. I still have a few bits of kit that use scart, and are occasionally used. Lets not forget dear old Svideo though, by which I have one seldom used device connected
The 1990's called, they want their technology back...hahahaha

Joking aside, what do you use them for? I've ditched all of my scart devices including dvd players and only use HDMI now. DVDs/Blu-Rays all played through PS4, Tivo connected via HDMI, surround sound via optical.

Kids have consoles and VHD boxes all connected with HDMI too.
Old 22-11-2016, 16:53   #1333
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Seems Sky Q's voice feature will come next year along with the ability to record 6 whilst watching a 7th if this link is correct , plus other features.

http://www.techradar.com/news/sky-q-...ntil-next-year
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:12   #1334
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Seems Sky Q's voice feature will come next year along with the ability to record 6 whilst watching a 7th if this link is correct , plus other features.

http://www.techradar.com/news/sky-q-...ntil-next-year
Good find, MM

The Sky Q box is turning to be quite a little beast. I've seen it in action a few times and all in all it's pretty good. Flicking between menus is seamless and even loading on demand content is pretty quick, even the 4k stuff.

Will be a tough box for VM to compete with, but I hope they pull something out of the bag
Old 22-11-2016, 17:22   #1335
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Good find, MM

The Sky Q box is turning to be quite a little beast. I've seen it in action a few times and all in all it's pretty good. Flicking between menus is seamless and even loading on demand content is pretty quick, even the 4k stuff.

Will be a tough box for VM to compete with, but I hope they pull something out of the bag
The V6 already operates as slickly as you describe and can already record 6 while watching a 7th.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote