Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 22-09-2016, 12:44   #511
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Until we know what functionality the new Tivo brings, it is premature to say that Sky Q is better; it may be, but we simply don't know that at this stage.
Its worth bearing in mind that Sky Q comes in two offerings the 1TB box is now the standard offering for new customers joining Sky the exception being those who can't have Q owing to their communal system not being updated.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2016, 13:34   #512
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Here’s a suggestion for those who are struggling with their TiVo boxes post the recent software change:
I have no big issues with the speed of my TiVo. My main box is a 1Tb Samsung but it is a recent replacement after my previous one had developed disc problems. That means I have only Series Links and Wish Lists from the last few weeks, no Favourite Channels and I’m not currently using Suggestions. My disc is only around 25% full at the moment. And guess what? The box works fine for me - it’s not as zippy as the Now TV box but it is not noticeably slow either.
If you have a TiVo that’s incredibly lethargic and are okay to sacrifice your existing recordings (you’ll lose your recordings if you leave VM anyway of course) it may be worth reformatting the TiVo’s disc and seeing how it performs before jumping ship. Not a permanent solution, but it may sort things out for you until the new TiVo arrives for your consideration.

Last edited by nialli; 22-09-2016 at 13:40.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 13:46   #513
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point

You can turn suggestions off???
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 14:00   #514
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Home>Settings>Recordings>Suggestions
Change to 'Don't Record Suggestions'
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 15:08   #515
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

In Poland ATM and while Mrs G was looking at some shoes (), I had a chat with the bloke on the UPC stand. Their version of the V6 was on display and first impressions was it's a bit of a chunky beast - maybe 10" square and around 3 or 4" tall. If the TiVo software runs as well as the Horizon offering all will be well. The demo box he had was super smooth and very responsive. Shame as we're still thinking of moving to Sky Q.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 22:55   #516
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
They said widespread to me but refering to speed/responsiveness of box issues not being confined to one geographical area
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
While not instant 20 seconds really isn't that long to wait.

Remember the hardware in the VM TiVo is now over 5 years old. So its never going to be ultra fast.

I personally don't think that a few seconds access time really counts as a wide spread nationwide issue.
I do, having to wait 20 seconds for it to load my shows and another 20 seconds to start playing is a major irritant and inconvenience.

A night watching TV constantly watching a black screen or spinning circle just isn't good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think if VM had just offered the standard TiVo software then the boxes hardware could have coped fine, however VM have had the TiVo UI and background stuff so heavily modified and customised that perhaps that was their problem.
I suspect that this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
...but they're going to be out of the game soon, they don't update their software enough and are being left behind.
Exactly.

Some seem to try to defend the TiVo performance by saying that it's 5/6 years old, but this is a part of the actual problem!

And Denphone, I don't "hate" VM, I hate the performance of the TiVo

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oibaldy View Post
Had an engineer round as half my TIVO functions were not working. Once he had sorted them out, I mentioned about how slow my box was. He said that a couple of weeks ago, they were getting no end of call-outs and swapping slow boxes before something got flagged up that it was a widespread problem which they then linked to the last update. He claimed that they were working on a fix and would not swap any more boxes, since it was pointless, but also claimed the new box would be out in a couple of months. On launch, it will have 6 tuners, but has the potential for double figures (I think he said 14, but at that point I was trying to work out who would even need 6!)

At least I know it's not just my box that is slow, despite what some forum members claim
If this is correct, I wonder how they would increase the number of tuners?? Perhaps they are in there, but not activated?? Maybe a hardware upgrade to the box??

AIUI, the new box will have 7 tuners; 6 to record from and 1 to facilitate delay TV.

If they can somehow double the number of tuners, the extra one may be created by allowing the delay TV tuner to be used as a permanent recording tuner (as is the case now).

I don't think that 6 tuners is excessive, in fact this is the only reason why I haven't left VM as I don't think that any other box has this (apart from Sky who I don't want to use if I can help it).

If you are recording from the main 5 channels at peak time and something from one or two of the pay channels 6 tuners would be very useful.

It means less clashes, more HD recordings, less having to record the next available showing, which in turn leads to even less clashes!

Hopefully, this would enable me to turn padding back on.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 22:57   #517
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I do, having to wait 20 seconds for it to load my shows and another 20 seconds to start playing is a major irritant and inconvenience.

A night watching TV constantly watching a black screen or spinning circle just isn't good enough:
Indeed, especially when paying a premium for the "service."

I wouldn't be happy if that happened on Freeview, but at least its free. We all pay a lot for cable.

Re, the amount of tuners, this may not be so important if VM launch some kind of cloud based service. But as always, its in the details. Talking of which, I'm surprised so close to launch, that there hasn't been more leaks yet about what we can expect from VM's "new" service.

Last edited by Horizon; 22-09-2016 at 23:01.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 03:43   #518
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I totally agree with you.

I received my price increase letter today.

It said that I have until 31/10/16 to cancel. The new TiVo is said to be due out in November, so I'm hoping that prices, performance & specifications are out (officially or leaked) by then.
Old 23-09-2016, 07:57   #519
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Indeed, especially when paying a premium for the "service."

I wouldn't be happy if that happened on Freeview, but at least its free. We all pay a lot for cable.

Re, the amount of tuners, this may not be so important if VM launch some kind of cloud based service. But as always, its in the details. Talking of which, I'm surprised so close to launch, that there hasn't been more leaks yet about what we can expect from VM's "new" service.
I expect they will keep details of the new Tivo hush hush until the last possible moment to prevent Sky from stealing a march on them.

If the box is out in November, I will be really happy. My hard drive is starting to give up the ghost and I want to get the new box to replace it.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 09:43   #520
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
AIUI, the new box will have 7 tuners; 6 to record from and 1 to facilitate delay TV.

If they can somehow double the number of tuners, the extra one may be created by allowing the delay TV tuner to be used as a permanent recording tuner (as is the case now).
Just as a bit of clarification, TiVo as a system has no concept of a dedicated tuner for any purpose.

No matter how many tuners the box may or may not have, all tuners will be available to either record, watch live TV or view non-app based VoD, in the same way as the current TiVo box works.

Last edited by BenMcr; 23-09-2016 at 09:47.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 09:50   #521
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I totally agree with you.

I received my price increase letter today.

It said that I have until 31/10/16 to cancel. The new TiVo is said to be due out in November, so I'm hoping that prices, performance & specifications are out (officially or leaked) by then.
Ultimately, it makes sense for you to stay with VM till your landline saver expires in March. Then the new box will have been launched, there may be better deals around due to the increased competition between VM and Sky and any bugs in the box wiil have been highlighted and resolved. When the box launches, like Sky Q it will probably be sold at a higher price for early adopters but will then become cheaper and mainstream.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:29   #522
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I expect they will keep details of the new Tivo hush hush until the last possible moment to prevent Sky from stealing a march on them.

If the box is out in November, I will be really happy. My hard drive is starting to give up the ghost and I want to get the new box to replace it.
Rumour has it and l state rumour that it is a pretty impressive machine but then again others will probably think given the problems with the current TiVo that it is another pile of poo.
Old 23-09-2016, 13:42   #523
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Just as a bit of clarification, TiVo as a system has no concept of a dedicated tuner for any purpose.

No matter how many tuners the box may or may not have, all tuners will be available to either record, watch live TV or view non-app based VoD, in the same way as the current TiVo box works.
Strange, that. One would have thought that a tuner would be reserved for 'on demand' viewing. I have lost track of the number of times I've been watching something from on demand and then get a dialogue box come up to say the box needs the tuner for recording.

It puts you off using it, and now I get into Catch Up only through my smart TV. I haven't seen any of the Virgin exclusives so far for that very reason.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 13:51   #524
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm probably not completely accurate here, but I believe the reason it needs a tuner is that the On Demand system creates an temporary channel for the box to tune to so that you can watch the program.

This doesn't apply for the app based VoD on TiVo where the feed comes from the broadband connection (the same as your Smart TV)
Old 23-09-2016, 13:52   #525
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I agree and rarely use VOD via the TiVo for the same reason as well as it making the box unusable due to the long delays.