Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 18-11-2016, 12:30   #1246
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster72 View Post
What are they going to do are the replacing the old TiVos or do you have to buy one or will there be discounts
I didn't have to pay anything to upgrade and someone has posted that CS have said that customers will be upgraded for free, however, as Ben says, no commercial details have yet been announced so this may not mean anything.

I've noticed that there are duplicate greyed out apps on the V6 eg the iPlayer, when clicked on an "App temporarily unavailable" message appears.

Can someone please check if this is the same on the old box, if not, I wonder if these are some form of an app version of channel placeholders for future services.

When the box is widely available, could we see more apps coming to TiVo??

Talking of the iPlayer, it's now almost instantaneous and is quicker than using my Smart TV as I used to do before.

One thing about every digital TV service that i've ever used is that there is always a couple of seconds delay when changing channels. Apparently, this is because the boxes have to decode/decompress the signal.

With the V6, it's like going back to the analogue days- it's instantaneous! Not sure how they've managed to do this, but it makes channel surfing much quicker and easier.

In fact you now have to be careful not to miss a channel on the way!

Loading apps is much quicker too, obviously it's not instantaneous as it has the additional task of connecting to the internet; it takes about the length of time that the old TiVo takes to change from one linear channel to another.

What's Sky Q like in this respect?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 18-11-2016 at 12:38.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2016, 12:35   #1247
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Handy link for all those who'd like to know a bit more :-)

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...-v6-about.html

If you scroll to the tips link, it tells you all about recordings and streaming to other boxes

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...soon-faqs.html

The only issue I see, is if you have a V6 and a Tivo, for them to be able to "pair" to watch recordings across devices, you need to wire your old TiVo to the superhub via Ethernet or powerline :-(

"With the V6 box you can start watching a show on TV downstairs, press pause, and pick up where you left off in another room, on another box.

First you’ll need to connect both your V6 box and your other TiVo® box to your Virgin Media Hub. For your V6 box you can do this via Ethernet, WiFi or Powerline. For a TiVo® box you can do this using Ethernet or Powerline."

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 18-11-2016 at 12:38.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 12:40   #1248
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Handy link for all those who'd like to know a bit more :-)

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...-v6-about.html

If you scroll to the tips link, it tells you all about recordings and streaming to other boxes

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/camp...soon-faqs.html

The only issue I see, is if you have a V6 and a Tivo, for them to be able to "pair" to watch recordings across devices, you need to wire your old TiVo to the superhub via Ethernet or powerline :-(
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at this
Old 18-11-2016, 15:53   #1249
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at this
took this quote from an Express article - could be interesting take on the invite they rec'd

"Those looking for an alternative to Sky Q could be in for a treat.

Virgin Media has mailed out invitations to its next media announcement, where the firm is expected to announce a next-generation 4K Ultra HD set-top box.

The invitation resembles a cinema ticket – hinting at a possible announcement around movies for Virgin Media customers."

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...ase-Date-Price
Old 18-11-2016, 16:54   #1250
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
took this quote from an Express article - could be interesting take on the invite they rec'd

"Those looking for an alternative to Sky Q could be in for a treat.

Virgin Media has mailed out invitations to its next media announcement, where the firm is expected to announce a next-generation 4K Ultra HD set-top box.

The invitation resembles a cinema ticket – hinting at a possible announcement around movies for Virgin Media customers."

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...ase-Date-Price
Or maybe a theatre ticket! It certainly sounds like they will be putting on a bit of a show!

I just hope the UHD films are not all more expensive pay per view courtesy of Virgin Movies, but I expect they will be. Sky is unlikely to share its offering with us in the short term.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 17:04   #1251
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

... probably the movies reference is about Amazon coming onto cable.
Old 18-11-2016, 17:06   #1252
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Or maybe a theatre ticket! It certainly sounds like they will be putting on a bit of a show!

I just hope the UHD films are not all more expensive pay per view courtesy of Virgin Movies, but I expect they will be. Sky is unlikely to share its offering with us in the short term.
I have a feeling you could be right, OB. Would be a nice surprise if VM have already agreed something in place for Sky Cinema 4K UHD movies...That's probably wishful thinking though
Old 18-11-2016, 17:07   #1253
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
... probably the movies reference is about Amazon coming onto cable.
Yes, you may well be right about that. They will also doubtless emphasise their price discount for Netflix UHD access.
Old 18-11-2016, 17:08   #1254
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I didn't have to pay anything to upgrade and someone has posted that CS have said that customers will be upgraded for free, however, as Ben says, no commercial details have yet been announced so this may not mean anything.

I've noticed that there are duplicate greyed out apps on the V6 eg the iPlayer, when clicked on an "App temporarily unavailable" message appears.

Can someone please check if this is the same on the old box, if not, I wonder if these are some form of an app version of channel placeholders for future services.

Talking of the iPlayer, it's now almost instantaneous and is quicker than using my Smart TV as I used to do before.

One thing about every digital TV service that i've ever used is that there is always a couple of seconds delay when changing channels. Apparently, this is because the boxes have to decode/decompress the signal.

With the V6, it's like going back to the analogue days- it's instantaneous! Not sure how they've managed to do this, but it makes channel surfing much quicker and easier.

Loading apps is much quicker too, obviously it's not instantaneous as it has the additional task of connecting to the internet; it takes about the length of time that the old TiVo takes to change from one linear channel to another.

That got my attention! Very interesting.

It's one of the most basic features, yet cable has consistently failed to have fast channel change since going digital.

I think Monday it will finally be my time to call Retentions about the price rises and other things....
Old 18-11-2016, 17:13   #1255
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I have a feeling you could be right, OB. Would be a nice surprise if VM have already agreed something in place for Sky Cinema 4K UHD movies...That's probably wishful thinking though
I don't think that channel even exists yet, UC. Aren't these films shown on demand on Sky at present?

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Quote:

It's beginning to look like Virgin's speed problems will soon be in the past. I can't wait to get this box, personally.
Old 18-11-2016, 17:26   #1256
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't think that channel even exists yet, UC. Aren't these films shown on demand on Sky at present?

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

It's beginning to look like Virgin's speed problems will soon be in the past. I can't wait to get this box, personally.
It's the On-Demand Sky Cinema films I was talking about, OB. The ones that Sky Q customers have access to as part of the Sky Cinema package.
Fingers crossed VM have agreed a deal with Sky for us...that's where the wishful thinking comes in lol
Old 18-11-2016, 17:31   #1257
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It's the On-Demand Sky Cinema films I was talking about, OB. The ones that Sky Q customers have access to as part of the Sky Cinema package.
Fingers crossed VM have agreed a deal with Sky for us...that's where the wishful thinking comes in lol
Let's hope that VM can pull something out of the bag, but I think Sky will be reluctant to make their UHD stuff available to other platforms in the short term. However, I will be more than happy to be proved wrong.

The words leopard and spots come to mind...
Old 18-11-2016, 19:26   #1258
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Sky Q is instant whether its accessing a menu or changing the channel or accessing On Demand. You'd really have to see it yourself though, there are a number of YouTube videos and reviews. Using the now/next mini guide on Q is so fast I do scroll past channels sometimes but their on now also shows a mini video of what is currently on that channel if you leave it there for a few seconds.
Old 18-11-2016, 19:30   #1259
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
That got my attention! Very interesting.

It's one of the most basic features, yet cable has consistently failed to have fast channel change since going digital.

I think Monday it will finally be my time to call Retentions about the price rises and other things....
Not sure if it's my imagination, but the pictures on the recordings seem to look a lot better too. I'm not sure if the quality or age of the HDD can affect this.
Old 18-11-2016, 20:30   #1260
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Sky Q is instant whether its accessing a menu or changing the channel or accessing On Demand. You'd really have to see it yourself though, there are a number of YouTube videos and reviews. Using the now/next mini guide on Q is so fast I do scroll past channels sometimes but their on now also shows a mini video of what is currently on that channel if you leave it there for a few seconds.
I'd disagree with sky q being instant. Complaints from many users on black screens of slowness lately. Mine is cancelled, sky could not resolve the many many issues. So many in common with other users and highlighted in their forums. Order in for virgin as we speak. Some good deals ATM
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote