Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router troubleshooting

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router troubleshooting

Old 01-02-2013, 14:49   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Router troubleshooting

Before I rush out and spend £100 on a new router I want to see if my existing one can be fixed or at least ensure that my issues are actually caused by it.

Periodically my Internet cuts out. The network itself cuts out. I am still connected to the Wi-Fi but the internet either works extremely slowly or stops altogether. I have a NAS device with a media collection on there but these do not stream on these occasions and I am lucky if I can even navigate the file system on it. Eventually the Internet comes back, streaming works, and all is well.

I have tried connecting directly to the SuperHub and it works fine, even whilst the issue is occurring, so I am reasonably confident the problem is with the router itself. I would use the SuperHub's wireless but my initial attempts at this back in the day made me questions it's effectiveness - especially in my house where the devices are quite far from it.

I have done a Factory Reset and this seemed to cure most of the outages, there were a couple but they didn't last long and could just be put down to normal little hitches. However last night the problem reappeared with leaving the Wi-Fi down for around an hour before it stuttered back to life.

Is there anything else that could be causing this?
Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks!
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 14:53   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Router troubleshooting

what router have you currently got? have you got a pingy monitor running? what are your SH connection stats? have you tried manually changing channels?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:08   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
what router have you currently got? have you got a pingy monitor running? have you tried manually changing channels?
Install InSSider to help with finding the least congested channel.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 15:22   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Good point about the channels and I shall install that program. Thank you.

I don't that a ping monitor thing. I am not sure how helpful that would be. It tends to be 'borked' or 'fine'.

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

This is my router btw: http://www.netgear.co.uk/service-pro...s/WNR3500.aspx
Old 01-02-2013, 15:31   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

is it only wifi that screws up? are wired links fine?
Old 01-02-2013, 15:32   #6
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

*cough* Netgear
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:26   #7
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
is it only wifi that screws up? are wired links fine?
I don't know. Only plugged into modem to test. When it next screws up I'll try it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38   #8
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Install InSSider to help with finding the least congested channel.
Seconded.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:08   #9
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

It's a nightmare to test this because it's so unreliable when the connection will go down or stay up. It seemed to go down just now, went to the router to plug in, was fine but then a ping test on wireless got the same result! 32mm pin, 6mm jitter.

PS Do those WiFi range extenders work? Do they harm ping speed?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:34   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

do you have a smartphone?

if so Android do an app call WiFi Analyzer, I used this to test my connections and it will also shows me what other channels around me are being used.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 15:01   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Yeah I've put the router in the least used channel, no improvement although the nature of the problem means I should leave it a few days to see...

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

New symptom: Even when the internet is working my laptop, far from the router, has it's ping change drastically from time to time. This morning 500ms to 35 mms.
Old 03-02-2013, 16:30   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Now this might sound silly but I guess your network is secure, and it's not being accessed without your knowledge?

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:59   #13
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Nah it's secure with a strong password.
Old 03-02-2013, 17:15   #14
thenry
Inactive

Ar$€n€W£ng€r

Old 05-02-2013, 04:06   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Have you done basic network diagnostics - ping, nslookup, traceroute, ipconfig, etc?

And I've said this over and over again. InSSIDer cannot tell you how congested a channel is.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote