Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:56   #1726
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of
Smile Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Thanks for your response to my question.

I thought that would be the case so I'll probably be one of the few on here that will be grateful not to get the first batches of TiVo. Hopefully the next wave will be when the 3rd tuner is activated in March.

On the other hand I'm in a catch 22 as the sooner I'm on the new TV contract the better. I may be moving home within the next 12 months or so and if I move to a non-cabled street then I am shafted with the one policy that really P's me off about VM, but that's for another thread
How could you even consider moving to a non cabled street?
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2011, 11:08   #1727
cwj2008
Inactive

cwj2008 will become famous soon enoughcwj2008 will become famous soon enoughcwj2008 will become famous soon enough
Re: TiVo

knowing my luck i whould proberly be 1001 on the list, sorry wrong thread
Old 06-02-2011, 12:05   #1728
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooLLsterQ View Post
It will be just a software update to activate the third tuner!
I appreciate that. What I mean is that those lucky few who have TiVo installed already or being installed this month will have to struggle on with two tuners until it gets activated. Where as those you get installed in March will hopefully have their boxes firing on all 3 cylinders.

This of course assumes it actually happens in March, there could always be a delay, who knows.

Unfortunately I do not know enough about the TiVo software to see how it copes with only 2 tuners. If a recording clashes I hear it is clever enough to pick up repeats later on that day (+1 channels) or later that week. So the only grey area is the padding overlap between consecutive recordings where having the 3rd tuner comes into its own.

Damn it, I knew I should have gone to the TiVo training day 10-odd years ago when I worked in Currys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
How could you even consider moving to a non cabled street?
I know, shame on me. I'll have to add it to the estate agents must have list
Old 06-02-2011, 19:36   #1729
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Would have bee very helpful to have Tivo today, have spent ages clearing down and watching stuff so that I have enough room to record the Superbowl in HD, that looks like it is going to take up loads of space with a running time of 5 hours.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:58   #1730
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them

Wow! This thread is growing fast, I can't keep up.

I'm waiting patiently for my 'phone call about Tivo, but in the mean time, I've had an email offering me a free upgrade to VIP 50 and HD movie channels for just £5 extra per month.

I'm currently on VIP20 and am giving this some serious thought, but was wondering what the best way to do it was. Should I do the upgrade to VIP50 now, and wait for Tivo; wait for the phone call and do it all at once; or wait for Tivo to be installed and do it later.

Are there any benefits to doing it the upgrade one way or another?

Cheers.
Old 07-02-2011, 14:27   #1731
chrisr1uk
Inactive

chrisr1uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali View Post
Wow! This thread is growing fast, I can't keep up.

I'm waiting patiently for my 'phone call about Tivo, but in the mean time, I've had an email offering me a free upgrade to VIP 50 and HD movie channels for just £5 extra per month.

I'm currently on VIP20 and am giving this some serious thought, but was wondering what the best way to do it was. Should I do the upgrade to VIP50 now, and wait for Tivo; wait for the phone call and do it all at once; or wait for Tivo to be installed and do it later.

Are there any benefits to doing it the upgrade one way or another?

Cheers.
I'm in the same boat mate, paying £96 for VIP20..not sure whether to wait or not.
Old 07-02-2011, 16:18   #1732
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Anyone want to comment who has a Tivo on this youtube video of one user's experience.

looks slower than 2 weeks in the jail.

http://vmhd.blogspot.com/
Old 07-02-2011, 16:33   #1733
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
Anyone want to comment who has a Tivo on this youtube video of one user's experience.

I don't find it slow at all.
Old 07-02-2011, 16:35   #1734
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Same here.
Old 07-02-2011, 16:35   #1735
steelerdean
Inactive

steelerdean is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Looked quicker than my current Samsung box.
Old 07-02-2011, 16:36   #1736
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:

Most of the video seems to be going through on demand menus which aren't very fast on my V+, but are acceptable, and probably wouldn't be any different on the tivo. I think we would need to see a more comprehensive video.

Old 07-02-2011, 18:02   #1737
dsmuk
Inactive

dsmuk will become famous soon enoughdsmuk will become famous soon enoughdsmuk will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Other that a red background there anything in that video that my current V+ can't do ... the VOD did look slower than the rest of the menus. Was expecting it to be far more graphical based rather than we we currently have with a red background.

Agreed need to see a more detailed video but from that I don;t have a sudden urge to sign up for this.
Old 07-02-2011, 18:06   #1738
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmuk View Post
Other that a red background there anything in that video that my current V+ can't do ... the VOD did look slower than the rest of the menus. Was expecting it to be far more graphical based rather than we we currently have with a red background.

Agreed need to see a more detailed video but from that I don;t have a sudden urge to sign up for this.
it wasn't a very detailed tour of the UI TBH.
Old 07-02-2011, 18:33   #1739
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

VOD is slow the first time you access it on V+ , that was an awful attempt to show you what TIVO can do didn't seem that slow to me to be honest, VOD was a little slower but as I've said it is the first time you enter it.
Old 07-02-2011, 18:47   #1740
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

The thing i'm really looking forward to is the tivo suggested recordings and the and learning your likes and dislikes.

Had this years ago when I had a proper PC based PVR

JJ
Closed Thread