Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coalition to set minimum alcohol price

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coalition to set minimum alcohol price
View Poll Results: Should a minimum price be set for Alcohol?
Yes 15 27.78%
No 35 64.81%
Not sure 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-03-2012, 16:47   #31
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Coalition to set minimum alcohol price

Don't be ridiculous. a man crush on David.

he wouldn't look twice at me. would he?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2012, 09:26   #32
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Ahem! Topic.
Old 25-03-2012, 09:39   #33
lordofangels
Inactive

Services: Broadband 152Mb (M)Phone
lordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of lightlordofangels is a glorious beacon of light

voting yes,
I'm afraid it's the kids that have ruined it for all the responsible drinkers.
The same as those who liked the odd spliff, spoilt by kids.
lordofangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 10:03   #34
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I vote no because there is no proof that it will work.Only a small minority abuse cheap alcohol and frankly if they won't listen to all the advice then they won't worry about paying more for alcohol either.They will still go out and get bladdered on a weekend.

After all smokers were paying silly money (and still are) but it didn't stop them smoking.The only thing that worked was a public smoking ban.

I suggest something similar has to be introduced and the rules on supplying alcohol to underage drinkers should be implemented far more than they are and the punishments should be far more stringent and vicious.And yes I know many of those in the city centres are not all underage but I bet they got the habit as underage drinkers.
That's the group that really should be targeted because they turn into the irresponsible drunken yobs of the future.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:47   #35
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I vote no because there is no proof that it will work.Only a small minority abuse cheap alcohol and frankly if they won't listen to all the advice then they won't worry about paying more for alcohol either.They will still go out and get bladdered on a weekend.

After all smokers were paying silly money (and still are) but it didn't stop them smoking.The only thing that worked was a public smoking ban.

I suggest something similar has to be introduced and the rules on supplying alcohol to underage drinkers should be implemented far more than they are and the punishments should be far more stringent and vicious.And yes I know many of those in the city centres are not all underage but I bet they got the habit as underage drinkers.
That's the group that really should be targeted because they turn into the irresponsible drunken yobs of the future.
100% agreement with the above maggy j.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:59   #36
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
100% agreement with the above maggy j.
Ditto!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 17:34   #37
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The exchequer should get the money.

If we're going to pay over the odds I'd rather it went to the country's balance book and not the retailer/wholesaler
have to agree i am against a minumum price unless its done via tax
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 19:23   #38
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

This stupid idiot government comes out with all these silly ideas, l deal with drinkers every day, and the government will not stop alcoholics drinking what ever they do.

Shopkeepers and big stores will find a loophole that they can get round, and as far as l am aware, what Cameron is doing is illegal.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 19:58   #39
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

He gives the poorer people a tax break, then hikes up the prices of things they can just afford, knowing that the revenue and VAT will come straight back to the treasury.

You don't get something for nothing with this coalition.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 20:27   #40
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
This stupid idiot government comes out with all these silly ideas, l deal with drinkers every day, and the government will not stop alcoholics drinking what ever they do.

Shopkeepers and big stores will find a loophole that they can get round, and as far as l am aware, what Cameron is doing is illegal.
I don't think they are trying to stopping alcoholics drinking. I believe they are trying to stop more people drinking to excess. As such, stopping them becoming alcoholics.

As for what Cameron is doing being illegal, since when has it been illegal to set a minimum price?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 23:08   #41
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

There was an article in one of todays newspapers, that they cannot do that by european law.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 23:19   #42
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Another crackpot idea from the ever inteferring nanny state.

This will have zero effect on the drunken louts, who will think nothing of paying a bit more for their alcohol. All this will do is put up the prices for the rest of us.

What do our nannies have lined up next, a minimum price for the sugar in soft drinks ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 09:27   #43
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Another crackpot idea from the ever inteferring nanny state.
I am normally very sceptical of state interference but I think we have to recognise the potential distortion the state itself causes to our attitudes to our health via the NHS.

Having a comprehensive health system that is free at the point of delivery is fantastic but carries the risk of diluting personal responsibility. The state is not going to start charging people for treatment of self-inflicted illness like alcoholic liver damage or smoke-induced lung cancer, so I think looking for ways to prevent those illnesses from coming about in the first place is a legitimate pursuit for the state to undertake.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 09:32   #44
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I am normally very sceptical of state interference but I think we have to recognise the potential distortion the state itself causes to our attitudes to our health via the NHS.

Having a comprehensive health system that is free at the point of delivery is fantastic but carries the risk of diluting personal responsibility. The state is not going to start charging people for treatment of self-inflicted illness like alcoholic liver damage or smoke-induced lung cancer, so I think looking for ways to prevent those illnesses from coming about in the first place is a legitimate pursuit for the state to undertake.
Then let's start with really cracking down on underage drinking and those who supply the underage with alcohol..Followed up by campaigns aimed at them because frankly the older binge drinkers are probably beyond redemption.
Old 26-03-2012, 09:34   #45
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post

I agree as well.

at weekends and summer holidays its a regular event to hear drunken school kids in the park across the road from me, in the summer they there until 2-3am drunk nearly every night.

There should be an agressive push to stop underage drinking instead of just randomly pumping up tax to punish everyone, of course the former doesnt generate tax revenues tho.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote