Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Manufacturing slows sharply but housing signs recovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

More than 100 new public sector jobs giving civil servants higher Pay than the PM

Old 01-05-2012, 19:18   #1
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
More than 100 new public sector jobs giving civil servants higher Pay than the PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...d-Cameron.html

This report from telegraph some actually in NHS too despite 3,500 reported nursing jobs lost.

Quite disgraceful to see this happen its seems ok to kill frontline jobs but increase those fat cats at tune 14m

Quote:
Rachel Reeves, a shadow Treasury minister, said the Government is failing to “get a grip on high pay in the public sector”.
“It turns out that while most public sector workers have had their pay frozen and 3,500 nursing jobs have been lost, Danny Alexander has personally approved the creation of 101 new posts with salaries higher than the Prime Minister’s, at a total cost of £14 million a year,” she said. “At a time when the government are cutting 730,000 jobs in the public sector I find it incredible that they can afford £14 million for 101 new jobs at the top.”
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2012, 20:08   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: More than 100 new public sector jobs giving civil servants higher Pay than the PM

Of course, heaven forbid the thought that these people might actually be good at what they do, and save the cost of their salaries by their actions.

For instance, my salary was 50% more than my predecessor in the position (but 40% less than my previous job) - in my first year I cut costs (not people/jobs) by five times my salary, and since then have made efficiencies year on year, making the Return On Investment fairly convincing.

They paid for (and benefited from) my knowledge and experience, and from the fact I was at the point in my career I was wanting to 'downsize' my job - everyone won.

People need to look at value, not cost - but if you are on high pay, you should be target driven, and if you don't meet the targets, have to move on (without a golden parachute).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 20:20   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: More than 100 new public sector jobs giving civil servants higher Pay than the PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Of course, heaven forbid the thought that these people might actually be good at what they do, and save the cost of their salaries by their actions.

For instance, my salary was 50% more than my predecessor in the position (but 40% less than my previous job) - in my first year I cut costs (not people/jobs) by five times my salary, and since then have made efficiencies year on year, making the Return On Investment fairly convincing.

They paid for (and benefited from) my knowledge and experience, and from the fact I was at the point in my career I was wanting to 'downsize' my job - everyone won.

People need to look at value, not cost - but if you are on high pay, you should be target driven, and if you don't meet the targets, have to move on (without a golden parachute).
Results for high pay ? what a novel idea Hugh
Old 01-05-2012, 22:21   #4
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by merle
Quite disgraceful to see this happen its seems ok to kill frontline jobs but increase those fat cats at tune 14m
fat cats? In the public sector?

My god, somebody get Balls on the line.
Old 01-05-2012, 23:48   #5
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

One question is why cant existing top management do there job. Surely do we need another layer top management.

If they do a great job without cutting jobs which are parramount. Not forcing more hours on staff to ofset those losses. Making staff overworked underpayed in NHS risking errors. Cutting vital services then no still question salary way too high. Personally sounds like hatchet squad to rip apart NHS. Time will tell though as now the crooks in power got there way with privitising it.

I admire the work you did not sack people. Not saying there aint wastage in government some contracts they sign criminal. Some companies take the government for a ride alot by over charging services/goods. For years they new nothing would be done. Problem is can those contracts be removed which shown to be issue.

Problem is it aint looking great when your telling bottom feeders to paycut your giving over 100 new positions at 140,000 + salary's. Not forgeting the sort pensions these will be taking on.

Surely you can see hyprocracy of it all. Those staff wont be happy for sure and those lost jobs likely very very angry.

Can the public sector even afford these high rollers if we keep believing the we are broke. I bet 14m pretty conservative too.

I dont even think we should be paying lords what they get its disgraceful atendance fee. Even MP's and Cambinet and paid way over the odds for value for money. The gravy train run dry but they still on the take.

I always felt we cannot afford the lavish lifestyles they get the amount they get in retirement. How many ex leaders and MP's we still fork out.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 00:39   #6
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
One question is why cant existing top management do there job. Surely do we need another layer top management.
Whilst giving maximum respect to Hugh for cost cutting without cutting jobs, I have to agree with mertle on this.

If the existing management can't manage properly, the answer is to replace them with managers who can, rather than bring in new higher paid managers to manage incompetent managers. This will just lead to too many cheifs and not enough indians.

The public sector is supposed to be making efficency savings!
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:02   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

How do you know they didn't?

The creation of new posts does not rule out the loss of the post it replaces - that's what happened in my (and others I know about) case.

But, then, that wouldn't make such an emotive story.....
Old 02-05-2012, 09:56   #8
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
How do you know they didn't?

The creation of new posts does not rule out the loss of the post it replaces - that's what happened in my (and others I know about) case.

But, then, that wouldn't make such an emotive story.....
If the managers who aren't doing their jobs properly are being replaced, then that's fine. But in the public sector, they shouldn't be paying fat cat wages. There will be people who can do the job just as well for less.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Your last sentence is an opinion, not a fact - if they could do it, why didn't they?

I bet you wouldn't say to someone "buy the cheapest bed, it's just as good as the more expensive ones....", or "it's OK to pay senior experienced firemen the same as trainees"....

FYI, I am in the Public Sector...
Old 02-05-2012, 11:02   #10
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
If the managers who aren't doing their jobs properly are being replaced, then that's fine. But in the public sector, they shouldn't be paying fat cat wages. There will be people who can do the job just as well for less.
These people have left for the private sector, where they can do the same job. For more...
Old 02-05-2012, 15:10   #11
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Your last sentence is an opinion, not a fact - if they could do it, why didn't they?

I bet you wouldn't say to someone "buy the cheapest bed, it's just as good as the more expensive ones....", or "it's OK to pay senior experienced firemen the same as trainees"....

FYI, I am in the Public Sector...
I would say buy the best value bed, and you can usually get just as good as the most expensive for a fraction of the price.

Senior experienced firemen are paid the same as those who have just finished their probation. But the public gets far more for their money out of the experienced firefighters.

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
These people have left for the private sector, where they can do the same job. For more...
When we aren't in a recession maybe. But the highly paid private sector jobs simply aren't there any more.